Official Review: The Superfund by Rebecca McNutt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SarahPapesh
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpapesh.html
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Official Review: The Superfund by Rebecca McNutt

Post by SarahPapesh »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Superfund" by Rebecca McNutt.]

The Superfund by Rebecca McNutt introduces the reader to your typical average family: mom, dad, sister, brother. Lois and Jeremy are parents to Tara and Vince Gemini. They have all recently moved to an affordable new development, hoping to make a new start for their small family. They quickly become involved in a mess of disasters that surround their new home and community and lead to disastrous consequences for all the families of Blank Creek.

The Superfund, while a story of fiction, is based loosely on actual events and locations. Laws that have been enacted require companies to have special trust funds in place, such as the one in this book, that help for clean-up in times of calamity. This book is primarily an educational manuscript that has been written to educate readers on this information.

This book was extremely short. At only 51 pages for the pdf file (including title page, publication information, and educational and marketing material at the end), it would be more appropriate as a short story or an essay than an actual book. However, after reading it and understanding the reason behind writing this book, I see why the author and the publisher are labeling it as such. To be honest, it is incredibly difficult to write a comprehensive review on a book that is that short with only superficial material.

I actually have to rate this book based on the educational value more so than the entertainment value. If I were to rate it based on entertainment, it would only get a 1. However, based on educational value, I rate this book at 2 out of 4 stars. It does need to have some entertainment tied with it, which is lacking. However, the plot itself is upsetting enough to really draw attention to the historical events that have put funds like this into place.

I have to admit that I am slightly confused as to the needs of this educational material. Of course, it makes sense that historical calamities that are akin to the plot in the book should be taught in schools. However, the story does nothing to really provide details of those events. The educational significance in this book is limited to the end, after the story, and is very abrupt, as well. The story itself serves more as a loose warning to avoid toxic areas and be safe with chemicals. If anything, it really acts as a mere conversation starter. I think that either the story itself should be rewritten, or the story should be discarded and the educational material should be rewritten and become the focus of the manusc

Buy "The Superfund" on Amazon
View hassle-free sample of "The Superfund"
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”