Official Review: The Complete Diaries of Young Arthur Con...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: The Complete Diaries of Young Arthur Con...

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Complete Diaries of Young Arthur Conan Doyle" by John Raffensperger and Richard Krevolin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Complete Diaries of Young Arthur Conan Doyle by John Raffensperger and Richard Krevolin consists of three fictitious journals supposedly written by Arthur Conan Doyle himself, the author of the original Sherlock novels. The book attempts to describe how he gained the inspiration for writing his books while learning to practice medicine by observing his mentor, Dr. Bell, use the power of deduction to provide incredible diagnoses.

It's an exciting book overall - the action scenes are written very well, and the mysteries, while some details are a bit predictable, are suspenseful and wonderfully over-the-top. The characters, for the most part, are distinct and engaging, with a variety of villains and motives. In my opinion, one of the book's strengths was in its dialogue. I was also surprised by how in-depth the medical procedures were, and Dr. Bell's diagnoses even taught me about some medical concepts I wasn't aware of.

From scene to scene, this book was very strong. Where it came apart a bit was with its overarching plot. Doyle met people who are now famous at every stage of his journey, particularly writers, and the dramatic action and schemes felt quite at odds with the aspects of the book that were grounded in reality. I also felt that, as a narrator, Doyle was rather weak. One of his character traits is that he develops crushes on practically every attractive woman he meets, and this became very tiring, especially when it came at the cost of learning more about the female characters themselves.

It's also worth mentioning the copious grammatical errors. There weren't as many issues with confusing homonyms as I often see in similar writing, but a large number of conjunctions had issues with commas, and there were also many instances of using apostrophes for plural nouns. This was so prevalent that it couldn't help but be distracting. It also felt strangely contradictory to the otherwise rather intellectual writing style, which included words like "obeisance" in addition to scientific medical terms.

Despite its flaws, I had a great deal of fun reading The Complete Diaries of Young Arthur Conan Doyle. However, relying so much on happenstance and implausibility in mystery book - and realistic fiction, no less - was a serious detriment to the book. When compounded with the grammatical errors, I can only rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to fans of action and medical thriller books; people strictly interested in mystery books are likely to be disappointed.

The Complete Diaries of Young Arthur Conan Doyle
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoyed your review, and appreciate your honest recommendation. However, the in-depth medical procedures do not appeal to me. Also, adding apostrophes to nonpossessive plurals is one of my biggest pet peeves.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Doyle reminds me of James Bond who always has a weakness for beautiful women. The book sounds really exciting and suspenseful as you have described. Thank you for your insightful review.
Last edited by crediblereading2 on 13 Jul 2018, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I was excited about this one when I saw it on the review-opportunities list, but now I'm glad I bypassed it. The implausibilities and especially the use of apostrophes to make words plural would drive me bonkers. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review is really interesting. I really like how you comment on so many different aspects of the book. I might try this one, but not right away. Good job!
Abenesch
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Abenesch »

As a fan of the Sherlock Holmes books, the title of this review is what caught my eye and prompted me to read it. Given the title of the book, had i seen it on a shelf in the store, I would have been tempted to buy it. Thanks for the informative review. It does pique my interest in the book based on your description of it and I may still end up reading it, although the grammatical errors you mention may bother me somewhat during the reading. However, that being said, the review you gave actually makes me more curious to read the book if nothing else, just to see all of the things you are talking about. Thanks for the review. Wonderful job!!!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I appreciate your honest review, but please write a summary of this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have the complete set of Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories. This book would be a good addition to my collection. But I will have to wait until the author has cured the imperfection's, ooops!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This would have been a wish come true for Sherlock fans everywhere. Too bad about the errors, but it's the weakness of the narrative that is more of a turn-off for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The grammar errors would definitely get on my nerves. It's interesting what you say about Doyle being a ladies man, though. Somehow it seemed to work for James Bond. Still, I don't think this is the book for me. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”