Official Review: Flames by Wayne Littrell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Flames by Wayne Littrell

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flames" by Wayne Littrell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Flames, by Wayne Littrell, is a motorcycle adventure novel. Sam Forest is a writer, who writes for fun. He buys a cruiser motorbike, and since he wants to write a book, he begins to travel for research. As luck would have it, a biker magazine employs him to write travel stories. Later on, Sam's brother dies, and the funeral procedure goes wrong, and all of a sudden, Sam becomes the target of a crime syndicate. After failing in their attempt to eliminate him, the Mob frames him. Now, he is a wanted man. In the meantime, while on a motorcycle ride, Sam meets Boudin, who later becomes his road dog. Being supported by Boudin and his clan members, will Sam be able to bring down the syndicate and exonerate himself?

Involving cops and veterans, this story gives insight into the biker lifestyle, and it includes a cremation process, fistfights, knife fights, gun battles, arson, and the chase of outlaw bikers. It exhibits several motorcycle brands. Moreover, it's well written, and the writing flows smoothly. It consists of a fast-paced and fascinating plot. Since it features the cultivation, selling and smoking of cannabis, I advise non-smoking teenagers to steer clear of it. You'll see high-octane action scenes that can keep you on your toes. There are a lot of bloody scenes, and if you don't read books with graphic violence, this read is not for you.

I commend the author for his ability to write entertaining scenes with intense suspense and a comedic tone. He was quite successful in creating a vivid bikers' world for a reader to inhabit. Indeed, his narration proves that motorcyclists are never tied down; they are always in a state of departure or arrival. During his journey to save his life and get back his freedom, Sam meets and falls in love with a female biker, who is a widow. Though the author narrates it superficially, the romance aspect is decent and realistic.

After the narration, there is a glossary that explains the biker terms used. Afterward, you'll see some defensive riding tips to help you stay safe when riding. Some photographs were included in the book, but I couldn't identify the motorcyclists shown. The author should have added captions to the pictures. The characters were described in an interesting manner. Wayne provided sufficient background, personality, and physical details for both the major and minor personae, and that made it easy for me to relate to them. Most of the characters are loyal, fearless, tough-minded, and always ready to fight. They are friendly, but they hate it when someone messes with them. Since the text was professionally proofread, I saw just one typo.

Overall, the narrative is intriguing, entertaining, and enlightening. In order to show readers some safe riding habits, the author provided an engaging tale. Thus, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it for motorcycle enthusiasts and fans of travel stories.

Flames
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It might be interesting to see into the biker world. Thanks for the detailed review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like that the author included a glossary of biker terms and defensive riding tips. My uncle passed away in a motorcycle accident this last year, so I don’t know if that would make this a painful reminder or a joyful tribute to his memory. I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks for your detailed review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Thank you for your detailed review. It provides enough information for a reader to make an informed decision if this book would be for them. I enjoyed your description of the characters and the liked that the author provided a glossary for the readers. I was wondering if Sam ever spoke of his travels (locations) in the book since he was hired by a magazine to write about them. It would be nice to see/hear where he went.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

There's an interesting plot background here. When reading your first couple of sentences, I was questioning whether this was fiction or a memoir. It's cool that the author found such a unique but readable idea.

Thanks for your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the comprehensive review! It's a great thing when novels are both informative and engaging.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

stacie k wrote: 24 May 2018, 16:34 I like that the author included a glossary of biker terms and defensive riding tips. My uncle passed away in a motorcycle accident this last year, so I don’t know if that would make this a painful reminder or a joyful tribute to his memory. I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks for your detailed review!
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's well. Thanks for stopping by and your encouraging comment. 😊
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Your review has certainly given me a peek into the biker's world. It sounds really fascinating.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

This sounds like a fascinating story. My adventurous nature is intrigued by the plot even though I am by no means a motorcycle enthusiast. I also don't particularly enjoy 'bloody scenes' and 'gun battles', so I think I will skip this one. Thank you for the great review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really gripping read with a wider appeal than just biking fans. I really like the idea of defensive riding tips at the end. Not sure it's quite my cup of tea, but I enjoyed your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This does sound entertaining. A biker who becomes the target of a crime syndicate? I love the cover, too. Very intriguing. Thanks so much for the great information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I don’t think this one is for me with its graphic content, but it sounds like an intriguing plot and storyline with twists and turns. Very unique book I would say!
Everything happens for a reason...
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

Cruising and riding into the biker's world is fun with this novel we have its all.
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

Your review is a very complete and excellent one, but the part I like the best is that you mentioned the author touching on a vein of romance in the story, which is predominantly action and criminal intrigue. In my experience, oftentimes when the author is successful at writing a thriller or crime story, they have difficulty putting an incidental romance in that doesn't seem like an afterthought or unrealistic. It's good to know that's not the case here.

I have many family members who ride, so I can at least relate to the language somewhat, but I think it's fantastic that the author included a glossary for those who may need it. It may be an interesting read. I do know it's a fabulous review! Thank you!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

Dragonfly6 wrote: 26 May 2018, 02:06 Your review is a very complete and excellent one, but the part I like the best is that you mentioned the author touching on a vein of romance in the story, which is predominantly action and criminal intrigue. In my experience, oftentimes when the author is successful at writing a thriller or crime story, they have difficulty putting an incidental romance in that doesn't seem like an afterthought or unrealistic. It's good to know that's not the case here.

I have many family members who ride, so I can at least relate to the language somewhat, but I think it's fantastic that the author included a glossary for those who may need it. It may be an interesting read. I do know it's a fabulous review! Thank you!
Thanks for your great comment!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”