Official Review: Clinical Execution by M.E.Haul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Clinical Execution by M.E.Haul

Post by jwalker73 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Clinical Execution" by M.E.Haul.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Clinical Execution is a crime fiction story by M. E. Haul. This is the author’s debut novel.

Told in the third person, this book follows the story of Daniel Bishop, a well-respected vascular surgeon who works at the Central and General Hospital in the Midlands of England. He is extremely competent in his work, liked by most his colleagues, admired by his students and has a large clientele base. He performs a variety of operations in his daily practice, ranging from routine stripping of varicose veins to emergency life-saving surgery on ruptured aortic aneurysms. Overall, he is very satisfied with his work life.

Daniel’s wife, Sarah, is less than satisfied with Daniel’s commitment to his work and, after years of being a stay at home mother to their daughter, Camilla, is now feeling both bored and neglected by her husband. Now that Camilla has gone to University, Sarah decides to do something for herself. She joins the controversial British Heritage Party (BHP). BHP was created by Guy Forsythe, a man with a lot of charisma and good looks. The policies of his party predominantly focus on returning Britain to its pre-immigration state, claiming that the current multicultural laws are discriminating against Christians. Guy wants all immigrants to be returned to their homelands unless they have specific skills that would benefit Britain.

Daniel is not happy with his wife’s decision to join BHP and is concerned about how it will impact on his work. Like most health care facilities, there is a large multicultural workforce in the hospital where Daniel is employed. He does not want his colleagues thinking that his wife’s association with BHP reflects his own personal views in any way. As Sarah’s role in BHP rapidly progresses, Daniel’s world begins spiralling downwards. Not only does his wife’s political ambitions go against all he believes in, he then learns his wife is having an affair with Guy. As his world comes crashing down, Daniel begins to lose all that is dear to him. With each loss, Daniel becomes increasingly bitter and even more determined to exact revenge. As a result, we see Daniel transform from a dedicated surgeon into a calculating, cold-blooded killer.

This book had a mixture of positive and negative aspects. I really liked the concept of this novel. The characters were well-developed and, by writing in the third person, the author enabled the reader to gain insight into the thoughts and actions of each character. The plot was well-structured and had the potential to be an intense thriller. There did, however, seem to be a mismatch in the level of detail between the first and second halves of the book. The first half of the novel was descriptively written, providing a comprehensive introduction to the characters, their backgrounds and the events leading up to Daniel’s need to seek revenge. This style of writing enabled the reader to feel Daniel’s anguish as his life slowly unravelled.

While the author’s attention to detail during this section was predominately positive, at times the extensive descriptions removed the sense of urgency from a situation. One example was when the doctors were treating a patient who was experiencing a life-threatening emergency. This should have been portrayed as an intense, fast-moving race against time to ensure the man’s survival, however, one doctor spent considerable time providing a lengthy explanation to the patient about what they were going to do, right down to the routine of washing their hands and putting on sterile gloves. I am not sure if this in-depth conversation was for the benefit of readers who lack medical knowledge, but I was left thinking that knowing all this information was probably the least of this patient’s concerns. Regardless of its purpose, it diminished the the urgency of a critical situation.

In contrast, the second half of the book could have benefited from a more elaborate narration. I felt this section frequently missed opportunities to develop the elements of suspense due to insufficient detail. The accounts leading up to pivotal events could have been expanded, thus enabling the reader to share what Daniel was thinking and feeling while waiting for his prey. Instead, these events seemed somewhat hurried. This prevented the reader from both engaging with the character and experiencing the intense feelings that should be present during these situations. The ending of this story was also quite abrupt and left the book feeling incomplete. I felt many of my questions remained unanswered, and I finished the story without any real sense of closure. The final sentence, however, leaves the reader wondering if there will be a sequel.

Unfortunately, this book contained multiple errors. Incorrectly placed commas frequently disrupted the flow of the writing. At other times, punctuation was completely omitted, resulting in long-winded, and often disjointed, sentences. Both these issues led to passages needing to be reread, either to determine the correct meaning or to comprehend what was being portrayed. The first error occurred in the introduction and I hoped this was a one-off mistake, however, it proved to be a persistent finding throughout. There were also some spelling mistakes, e.g. ‘trilled’ instead of ‘thrilled’ and ‘cleaver’ instead of ‘clever’. It did not appear to have been professionally edited. I also note that it was independently published.

There was one particular aspect in the book I found distracting. Trying to read the dialogue spoken by DCI Ron Parker became quite tedious over time. This character had a Scottish accent and, during his conversations, the author followed every word spoken in Scottish dialect with the English word in brackets. One example of such conversation was,
‘Also can ye (you) get one of the lads tae (to) go and talk tae (to) the landlord of the White Lion again tae (to) see if he remembers the Carter’s gesturing a toast tae (to) Daniel Bishop, after they had returned tae (to) their seats?’

As can be seen, these words were not that difficult to translate, so brackets may not have been necessary. If, however, if the author felt these translations were warranted, they only needed to be inserted after each word’s first use. This would have made reading the dialogue easier.

I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. While this novel had the potential to be a heart-stopping, gripping read, it did not quite hit the mark. The plot was well thought out but the lack of suspense was quite disappointing, especially as I feel this is a necessary element for this genre of book. I also deducted a star due to the numerous errors since these hindered the flow of the story considerably, however, this issue could be greatly improved with the input of a professional editor.

This book would suit readers who enjoy a well-developed plot combined with some light action. The ability to overlook grammatical errors would also be advantageous. People seeking a fast-paced, gripping read or intense psychological thriller would probably find this novel does not sufficiently meet their needs.

Clinical Execution
View: on Bookshelves

Like jwalker73's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amica
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Amica »

He is not happy with his wife and that change his life cool
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Such a detailed review. With thorough editing, this has the potential of being a great book. I like that it tackles the issue of immigration. I won't be picking it up though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block

Post by jwalker73 »

Mercy Bolo wrote:Such a detailed review. With thorough editing, this has the potential of being a great book. I like that it tackles the issue of immigration. I won't be picking it up though.
Yes, it definitely has the makings of a great novel. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

-- 22 Oct 2017, 20:22 --
Amica wrote:He is not happy with his wife and that change his life cool
Thanks for reading my review. This certainly was the start of his downward spiral.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This has an interesting premise, particularly to me as someone in the UK where disdain for immigrants is worryingly increasing. It sounds like it has great potential but could do with more suspense. I don't think I could overlook all the errors either.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is another one that sounds like it has potential. A good editor needs to get involved and really hash things out with the author. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote:This is another one that sounds like it has potential. A good editor needs to get involved and really hash things out with the author. Thanks for the review.
I agree, a good editor would have done this author a huge favor. It's a shame, really. It was a great and helpful review, thanks.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

It's so unfortunate that such a good, dedicated doctor and husband like Daniel had to transform to the unimaginable. This is a great lesson to all men, who are so engrossed at the work place, that their families lag behind. I believe Sarah must have felt neglected that she chose to pursue her own things. This book is brilliant, though the errors and the inconsistencies have let it down. Thanks for reading.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I'm used to fictional pieces about broken-hearted women, and it's rare to find this book's premise. I do hope its rough edges are sorted and its readworthy qualities are polished and turned into the gem you've seen it could be, too. Thank you for your honest yet insightful and thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

This sounds intriguing at first but then seeing that the thrill and suspense don't hold out until the end is such a bummer. Thanks for this very detailed review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”