Official Review: Fortunate Monsters by Nancy Fulton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Fortunate Monsters by Nancy Fulton

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fortunate Monsters" by Nancy Fulton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What lengths would you go to to have a child? People pay thousands of dollars (if not more) for IVF treatments. But what if those were unsuccessful? Would you, perhaps, participate in something illegal?

Fortunate Monsters follows Roslyn and Jacob Kemp. This husband and wife have tried everything to conceive, but it hasn't worked. Finally, they decide to fly to a remote island where a “fertility clinic” is set up. The doctor promises that they will leave the clinic pregnant, and they do. But not all is as it seems.

This book is a psychological thriller, and I enjoyed how realistic it was. It's sometimes hard to understand why people do what they do, but authors like Nancy Fulton help us to understand the motivations behind actions. Jacob and Roslyn are a normal (albeit wealthy) couple. While I don't think I would do what they have done, I can better understand it because of this book. Not only that, but we also get an insight into the mind of someone who isn't quite so normal. Someone who lacks the empathy that others have. I enjoyed trying to understand the mind of a criminal.

The book is relatively short at around 130 pages. The plot was fast-paced which made for a quick and easy read. Right from the start I wanted to know what was going to happen to Jacob and Roslyn; what decisions they were going to make. I was hooked and had to keep reading until the end.

Another thing that I enjoyed about this book was the fact that it was not overly graphic with no sexual situations and very little language. It's often difficult to find a clean book like this in the thriller genre. This book really didn't need any gore or cussing to keep its readers invested. Therefore, I can fully recommend this to teenagers as well as adults.

One more positive to mention was the fact that you don't walk away from this book feeling completely depressed as you sometimes do with any crime novels. Without giving too much away, I will just say that I was satisfied at the ending. At the same time, I thought it was very realistic as justice is not always served exactly as you think it should be.

The one thing that was a little bit odd was the pictures located at the end of chapters. Some of the main characters were depicted in life-like drawings. I'm not sure this was really necessary to the plot of the book, but it didn't really bother me. At least they were good drawings.

I applaud Ms. Fulton on a job well done here. I enjoyed reading the novel immensely, and I would highly recommend it for everyone from teenagers up. Thus, I rate Fortunate Monsters 4 out of 4 stars. This would make a great rainy day read as it is easy to finish in a short time.

Fortunate Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

It looks like a very interesting book. Excellent review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Cloe! It was a good book.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This is exactly my kind of book. I live for mystery and thriller novels. Great review, kandscreeley.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks kislany! It's hard to find a good, clean thriller. I think that's what I appreciated most.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This book sounds very intriguing. The fact that you were able to come to better understand the characters' motivations with such a short page count really attests to the writing. I'll be checking this book out.
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Sure, I can't wait to read this. In my cultural context, you dare not remain childless after marriage. Great review. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ashley_claire wrote:This book sounds very intriguing. The fact that you were able to come to better understand the characters' motivations with such a short page count really attests to the writing. I'll be checking this book out.
Definitely. Even though there weren't a lot of pages, the story was definitely developed.

-- 18 Oct 2017, 17:06 --
meteku4 wrote:Sure, I can't wait to read this. In my cultural context, you dare not remain childless after marriage. Great review. Thanks!
Well, it's best I'm not in your culture then as I am married and have no children. :D
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a great read and having gone from thinking I was infertile with my first husband (it ended up being HIM) to not being able to stop getting pregnant to the point of having to get my tubes tied with my second husband, I can sympathize with the couple in their desperation to have a child.
And since supernatural/thriller is my favorite genre, this sounds like the perfect book for me. My favorite part of reading vs. watching a movie or TV is being in the characters' heads, reading their thoughts, hearing their motives, etc, so I'm glad the author did a good job in that aspect, as well... Consider me convinced!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Movies and TV Shows have their place, but I like reading for that reason as well. If you do read this, you'll have to tell me how you like it. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The title and cover (not to mention the review) are totally intriguing. There are just some things that money can't buy. Or does everything (and everyone) have a price?

A clean thriller is definitely a find.

Thanks for the review, Kandscreely. And thanks for sharing another bite of your life.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Miriam. It does seem like everything (and everyone) has a price, especially these days.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

People often go to great lengths to achieve what they want. This is definitely a book I would enjoy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:Movies and TV Shows have their place, but I like reading for that reason as well. If you do read this, you'll have to tell me how you like it. Thanks for commenting.
I much prefer reading when it comes to psychological thrillers. This one sounds interesting, with a concept that I haven't seen before.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks CatInTheHat... I definitely prefer to read when it comes to these types of books myself. So much easier to get a sense of motivation.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”