Official Review: Nighthawk: Chief Hazel by C. Edgar North

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Nighthawk: Chief Hazel by C. Edgar North

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nighthawk: Chief Hazel" by C. Edgar North.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With great power comes great responsibility and danger. That is what Hazel Branson learned the hard way in C. Edgar North’s Nighthawk: Chief Hazel. This is the third book in the Nighthawk trilogy. It is written in third-person point of view. I had the pleasure to read the second book in the series. However, it is not necessary to read the first two books. Nighthawk: Chief Hazel can be considered a stand-alone book.

Hazel Branson is now the Chief of Midlake First Nations Indian band. Her genuine care for tribe’s future gained the support of her people. Meanwhile, Joseph, her husband, is still on the run from the FBI for murder and smuggling. His business dealings with Igor Romanoff, a Russian arms dealer, were successful albeit some troubles. Little did he know that his exploits with Maoist and Islamic militants were observed by the CIA.

With Joseph away from home, Hazel also took over their family businesses. A complication in the smuggling operation prompted Hazel to stop their contract with the North Koreans. She never thought that her decision would bring danger to her family.

Nighthawk: Chief Hazel is a work of fiction that takes you to the different parts of the world. Joseph’s exploits take him to Nigeria and India. I was not well-acquainted with the infamous militants such as the Maoist Naxalites in India and the Boko Haram in Nigeria. I have learned many things about these militants from reading the novel. It was evident that Mr. North took time to research these radicals and incorporate them into the novel. While the characters are fictional, I could not help but think that the circumstances described in the novel also happened in real life. For example, there was a part in the book that showed how the militants recruit new members. The tactics they used were similar to the ones employed by known freedom-fighters. Additionally, I did a little research on these militants and the damage they did in their countries. Simply put, I was shocked with the things I learned on the internet. I also gained insights on how the government handles cases of kidnapping, smuggling, and terrorism. I became more aware of the gravity of some deep-rooted crimes and how it affects an entire nation.

While there were fewer action scenes, violence and turmoil were present in the novel. There was also sexual content, although it was not too explicit. The action scenes and sexual content were toned down because there was more narration. I found some errors in the book as well. For example, the Japanese term “Sensi” should be “Sensei.” I also noticed some missing punctuation marks. There were few errors, but it was enough to distract me from my reading.

Taking everything into consideration, I award Nighthawk: Chief Hazel by C. Edgar North 3 out of 4 stars. Readers of fiction, crime, and adventure genres will enjoy this novel.

Nighthawk: Chief Hazel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I would enjoy this from the violence and sexual situations. I appreciate the review though. It was very thorough.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Not quite sure this book is for me due to its theme, however, I enjoyed reading your review, ellieonline03. Indeed, it was very thorough.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Thanks for the review. Interesting story. I will give it 4 out of 4.
Tcharlyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcharlyn.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Tcharlyn »

This is my genre but reading through the review did not catch my interest. The review is comprehensive and well narrated.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

kislany wrote:Not quite sure this book is for me due to its theme, however, I enjoyed reading your review, ellieonline03. Indeed, it was very thorough.
Thank you, kislany! I try to be thorough in my reviews. After all, every book deserves that much from reviewers.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Jr Artemis
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Jr Artemis »

I search for that kind of books for a long time..This is perfect review for me to read this book,Thanks
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

The dar side of humanity is definitely my thing. The story is packed with deepest roots of evil and I am curious to learn about the questions raised in the book. On my reading list. Thanks for the review!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Nighthawk: Chief Hazel, is the second review prose I have read, so far, today, or tonight as the case may be, depending on where you who read me is situated. The first is "30th Century: Escape" as reviewed by Snowflake. Curiously enough, both books opted for a female leading character. I just shrugged this phenomenon as, maybe, we already got tired of the macho-exploits of James Bond, or Bourne, and now comes the female counterparts for a change. Frankly, I have not yet read the book, and neither could I have been permitted to do so at this time of my status. But I could infer from the review that Chief Hazel must be such a libertarian. And also Jennifer of the other book, 30th Century: Escape. I could not help but notice the stereotypes for women lead characters to be such. With power, comes responsibility. But then, the reader might also be led to believe that sexual enjoyment, too, goes with it.

I anticipate nice reading.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

This book sounds really exciting. I like that it seems the author researches the political components of the book well.
Brittanyb
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Brittanyb »

Very interesting book. Wasn't quite sure if i would like it because of the genre but i'm surprised i do
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I think the novel would be a good read with its exposure and dangers on war-like groups around the world. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”