Official Review: Consequences by Sam Boyd

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Official Review: Consequences by Sam Boyd

Post by Reuben 92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Consequences" by Sam Boyd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Consequences by Sam Boyd is a short novel following Jack Turner, the son of village shopkeepers, as he makes his way into English high society. Through his education in a well-regarded school and his friendship with high-born Rupert Winstanley, Jack mixes with the upper classes, becoming a successful lawyer and a lord near the end of the story. The plot traverses a range of events, from Jack's school days and first love, to the beginnings of his career and the eventual souring of the close friendship between himself and Rupert. Consequences comes to a swift and dramatic conclusion in which the meaning of the title becomes apparent, leaving a rather regretful and dismayed Jack. The only thing he has left to hold on to is the maxim instilled in him by his typically English mother - "to keep a stiff upper lip".

The narrative begins with Jack staring into the fire while holding a whiskey, and looking back over his life to date. This retrospective beginning works well, and the story comes full circle after all of the events have been communicated. I thought that the English setting was adroitly created; it felt very true to life. Although I was not sure exactly when the novel was set (I couldn't see any clues in the book), I would guess the late 1990s. The portrayal of a large public school was expertly achieved, as was that of upper class pursuits such as attending horse races and lavish dinners in country houses.

The writing style of Consequences was a slight disappointment to me. While the plot was full of interesting incident, the rather flat narration undercut this at points. This could be personal preference, however: I tend to prefer a more ornate technique, whereas Boyd writes in a straightforward, factual manner. This style actually fits the content in a way, as it matches the character of narrator Jack, a dispassionate phlegmatic Englishman. There were also quite a few instances of cliche, but overall the writing was pleasant and easy to read.

I found the character of Jack sympathetic in his efforts to better himself and to act honourably in all circumstances. He is contrasted with his best friend, Rupert, who fits the type of the carefree playboy. Rupert's actions are the ones that have the biggest - and ultimately the most shocking - impact on all of the characters. I also found Anne, who was a love interest for both men, to be a convincingly depicted protagonist. As for editing, I noticed about ten minor mistakes, mostly misplaced commas and apostrophes. None of these interfered with the flow of the narrative.

I would recommend Consequences for its plot, which was the main draw. Even though much of it wasn't spectacularly action-packed, I found Jack's narration to be engaging and effortless to read. The final section was quite unexpected. Readers who enjoy fiction set in England would like this book, as the milieu is accurately captured. Those looking for a relatively quick and simple read would also appreciate Boyd's novel. There is a second Jack Turner novel for those who enjoy this one. Boyd is a good author with a firm grasp of character and incident, and the book's simplicity is often a merit. I enjoyed Consequences, but it was a limited enjoyment due to the understated style, and for that reason I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Consequences
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Reuben 92's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Sounds like you enjoyed the book, sorry about the writing style. Thanks for the review '-)
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks Nthabeleng :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
musa muhammed junaid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by musa muhammed junaid »

Great
ANDREW MCFARLANE
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)

Post by ANDREW MCFARLANE »

I definitely do not like this book
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Thanks for the review, I don't think I would enjoy reading the bok though.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
mutunga ngotho

Post by mutunga ngotho »

I love the book,it has encouraging words
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Everyone strives to have a better life. Jack Turner's story sounds interesting.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks for all your comments! And thanks Mercy Bolo, for stopping by again: I wanted Jack to succeed, he was a likeable character!
Proust
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I'm glad Jack was such a likable character. I prefer a more action-packed novel when it comes to fiction writing, so I don't think this one is for me. I enjoyed your review, though. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thank you, Christina Rose!
Proust
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I get how a "flat narration" can mess a good story up, but overall it sounds good; another great review, Reuben
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks geoffrey, good to hear from you :)
Proust
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

Sounds like an okay book to me. This review was great
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Reuben 92 wrote:Thanks geoffrey, good to hear from you :)
You're welcome, Reuben, I have a review out, let me know what you think when you get to it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”