Official Review: You Dear Sweet Man by Thomas Neviaser

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: You Dear Sweet Man by Thomas Neviaser

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Dear Sweet Man" by Thomas Neviaser.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Dear Sweet Man by Thomas J. Neviaser is a book in the psychological/paranormal mystery genre. It is slightly difficult to slot this book into any one genre since the storyline and execution is quite unusual.

For Bobby Fastow, life was a struggle to make ends meet comfortably. As an over-worked blue-collar worker, there was nothing exciting in daily routine, which consisted of primarily working for his wife and kids. Until one day, an advertisement caught his eye. There was nothing striking about the woman in the advertisement, elegantly perched on a desk in an office. Yet the woman caught Bobby’s fancy, and seemed to reach out to him from this virtual world of the poster.

Charlie Hamilton, the CEO of BurgerBlast Inc. was gunning for a new angle. He made up his mind to revamp the brand completely, and shift from quick and easy, to fit and healthy. He could imagine ‘FitnFast’, but how to sell his concept to consumers? Why, through an innovative and visually stunning advertisement! When Samantha walked in to be the face of that advertisement, Charlie and his team had no idea what they were facing. Who is Samantha and how does she have a hypnotic hold over men around her?

This book is pretty out-of–the-box, and hence, difficult to really categorize. This is also one of the reasons, which makes it so intriguing. The characters, major and minor, are so well developed that the reader is totally enveloped in their world. I could not stop myself from pitying Bobby’s dull, aimless, almost-unappreciated existence. The manner in which his story develops, its almost makes sense for him to fall prey to his fantasies, especially how the author hints at the escapism underlying his fantasies.

The story switches between the lives of Bobby and those at the ad agency, primarily Charlie’s. The connecting thread between these opposite worlds is Samantha. Her mysterious motive is at the center of the plot. The book explores the different shades of ambition, be it Charlie’s ambition to reach the pinnacle, for which he is ready to do anything, or the ambition to succeed expressed by other characters, or Samantha’s desire to be desired; I found all these aspects quite fascinating.

What was not so appealing was the flow in the story. Though the story kept flitting back and forth between the characters, there was a certain element missing in the plot line, and it was more evident in the second half, where the story seemed rushed. The climax, especially, was dull, and could have been written better. Overall, this book is engaging, if somewhat dark. Readers, who are on the lookout for something different in the psychological mystery genre, should give this one a try. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

You Dear Sweet Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Awesome review. Sounds like an intriguing story.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I LOVE out-of-the box stories. To me, it takes a really great author to make a story that you can't really categorize! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

This certainly sounds different! Thanks for giving us the scoop in all its undefined glory. I can relate to books that don't seem to fit into a particular genre. Psychological and paranormal would probably fill that bill.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame that the flow wasn't the best, but I do so love an out-of-the-box story*, so I'll probably give this one a go, anyhow. I'm already intrigued just reading your review about it. Thanks so much for the introduction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If you too are a fan of unusual story-telling, I encourage you to try My Author is Dead, which I reviewed some time ago.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! Too bad about the flow of the story. I am currently reading something with a similar problem.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm so glad you found this book unique! The premise does sound interesting, but I'm a little put off by the awkward flow of the narrative. Thanks for the insightful review!
Uchechi Donatus
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Uchechi Donatus »

Yap its a great effort
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Your review was very well written and you presented the book well. I look forward to reading it myself. I hope the author can do some editing to fix the flow problem. This sounds like a really good novel with a lot of promise.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The premise sounds intriguing, thus, promising. I think I can handle a little flaw in the flow of the story, but a dull climax is another story. Good job on the review.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

That is a great review. I have never seen such a book and will make sure to read it
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the psychological mystery. The lady who hypnotizes men is also a good read. Thanks for an enjoyable review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Samantha is really something else. Your great review has just piqued my interest in wanting to discover the mystery behind her motives.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I like books that don't really slot into one genre so I was intrigued with this book. But unfortunately the bad flow of the book and the dull climax makes me have to pass on the book. Thank you for the review
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

I don't think I've read a book like this before, it does seem intriguing. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”