Official Review: The Stone Lantern by Samantha Stevens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: The Stone Lantern by Samantha Stevens

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stone Lantern" by Samantha Stevens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stone Lantern: A Hawaiian Mystery is a novel by Samantha Stevens.

The prologue tells of two men venturing into a cave on the Big Island of Hawaii. There, they find both an ancient and a more recent skeleton with a bashed-in skull. Chapter one takes us to Jessie Bradford, and readers learn that this second skeleton is her father Allen, who was assumed to have drowned about forty years ago. Jessie is only in the area because her uncle Rod has died and left her his ranch. She has come to settle his affairs before returning home to San Francisco. While her father was known to go fishing regularly at the base of the cliffs, it is soon determined that it was a murder.

The present of the novel, which shows the unfolding of figuring out the who and why behind Allen Bradford’s murder, is interwoven with the past that contains these answers. This structure between the past and the present flows quite smoothly. We see Jessie and the police try to find the answers while we also are taken into the past to Allen’s life as the manager of a sugar plantation with Japanese workers. There are flashbacks mixed in with the present of the story, in addition to chapters where the focus is solely on relating past events. Family secrets are uncovered and motives become apparent, but there are still surprises as to how it all fits together.

Detective McIntire (a.k.a. Mac) is one of the main people dedicated to the case, but Jessie does her own investigative work, discovering the truth for herself. This is one of many of her admirable qualities. She is realistically flawed or unsure of herself at times, particularly when it comes to her love life. Yet, she also exudes strength in the midst of adversity, for she is bombarded with death, memories, questions, and many major life decisions at the same time. The story is told in the third person, though sometimes we hear Jessie’s first-person thoughts. I particularly enjoyed these small moments, like the detail about her deciding not to run an obituary for her father because it’s all over the news anyhow. Furthermore, when she thinks about her father’s bones, she wonders: “What happened to his watch, his wedding ring?” She is forced to reconsider the nature of her parents’ relationship, what she once thought was normal.

I personally found the who and why behind the murder to be satisfying, but won’t give away any spoilers. The resolution of the romance plot, however, wasn’t quite as riveting as I had hoped for. Mac, the detective on the case, and Jessie were high school sweethearts who broke up when they went to college. Brought back into each other’s lives due to Allen Bradford’s case, this plotline captured my interest at first but the tension, obstacles, and seemingly rushed resolution were perhaps not as fully or originally developed as they could have been and came across as generic in the end. Even so, I enjoyed the past connection that they had, as the relationship between the past and the present was very well done in this novel.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was well written and well structured with a likable protagonist and an interesting plot. I would recommend it to anyone who likes mystery novels and stories set in Hawaii.

The Stone Lantern
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This book sounds perfect for me! I enjoy a good mystery with a small amount of romance thrown in to keep things interesting. I look forward to reading this one. Your review was informative and well written. I like that you gave none of the secrets away but told enough to make this book enticing. Well done!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I don't think I've ever read a book that was set in Hawaii before. This book seems like a good one to read if you enjoy mystery and learning a bit more about Hawaii itself.
Niyiike
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Niyiike »

The letters of the book were well structured. What a wonderful story of re-uniting a past story-line and a need for urgent rescue from hallucination and psychological forensic review which might led her (jessie) to a necromatic life thereafter. Of a truth, the killer must be spotted but jessie should be left out to disable emotional crushing. What an interesting write up!!!. I give the book 95% support
kimoody
Currently Reading: A Bloody Book
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kimoody »

The book has many mysteries..I can't figure it out..The content of it is amazing
sharminhaider
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sharminhaider »

I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I am not much of a fan but This book has many mysteries and that really interesting to me. the character Detective McIntire (a.k.a. Mac) is one of the main was actually a big part in the book but I love all those things.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

A mystery with a light touch of romance set in Hawaii. Now that sounds interesting. Thanks for a great review.
Jacob T Dennis

Post by Jacob T Dennis »

The part that got me more attracted here was.. Jesse's re- uniting love after the lost of her father Allen... I think dectative mc.entire (aka Mac) the lover of Jesse is gonna be her (Jesse)'s reconciliation to her father.. Thumb up to Samantha here I think this book deserve 4 out of 4 rating here

-- 02 Oct 2017, 06:11 --

Also this book vwould have not being compete without love

-- 02 Oct 2017, 06:15 --

Mc.lntire*
Murmuring Letters
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murmuring-letters.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by Murmuring Letters »

What an interesting novel! I love books with double narratives and entwining past/present events, I'll be sure to give this book a read. Thank you for your review and capturing the essence of the protagonist. And for not giving away spoilers!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The book has an amazing setting and I loved how descriptive the language used in the book was.

-- 02 Oct 2017, 16:56 --

Excellent review that highlighted the many pros of the book without spoilers. Congrats :tiphat:
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Imagine discovering that your father did not drown but was instead murdered - how harrowing!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Edareno grace

Post by Edareno grace »

The book is intriguing, a lovely story it is
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like quite an interesting mystery to me. Glad you enjoyed this one. It's too bad about the romance not being solved quite to your satisfaction. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not a huge fan of mysteries but the likeable protagonist and well written plot may win me over.

Thanks for reading! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Vitaro Maxton
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Vitaro Maxton »

A mystery with a light touch of romance set in Hawaii. Now that sounds interesting. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”