Official Review: The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln Cole

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Everett Exorcism" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Father Niccolo Paladina is called out to the small town of Everett, Washington to investigate a possible demonic possession, everything seems questionable. For starters, Niccolo was called out by Father Jackson Reynolds, a 20-something-year-old man who runs a small church, and he was called against the area's bishop's wishes. Jackson believes an older woman in his congregation, Rose Gallagher, is possessed while bishop Leopold Glasser agrees she needs help, but it's mental help that she needs, not an exorcism. Niccolo has been trained in the art of exorcism, but he has never actually performed one, so his job is merely to find out whether Rose is actually possessed or not and report back.

The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln Cole is a very character-driven novel. Niccolo is an interesting man; he comes from the Vatican for his investigation and clearly has a preference for Rome over the rainy, colder weather he faces in Washington. He may be a polite, respectful man outwardly, but we as readers are treated to his entertaining judgements about almost everything and everyone. What makes Niccolo truly interesting, though, is that even though he's been trained in exorcism he doesn't really believe demons and hellish creatures roam Earth - they belong in hell, and while people may give into evil deeds, it's humans who do them, not demons, right?

As Niccolo goes about his investigation we're treated to his every doubt and thought. It gets a little repetitive at times but it absolutely works - it's exactly how I would think and feel in that situation, so that repetition drew me in even more. For Niccolo to report back that an exorcism is required is a major call, and if he gets it wrong he could get into some rather serious trouble himself, so all of the odd feelings and small, weird events he goes through have to be weighed heavily against the possibility that Niccolo is wrong and the trouble he'd stir up if so. This mental tug-of-war gets tougher and tougher as things in Everett get weirder and a huge possible conspiracy gets more and more likely.

For those who have read other books from Lincoln Cole, you may recognize one of the characters in The Everett Exorcism. This character and Niccolo actually share a past, and when Niccolo bumps into them he wants them gone immediately! While I've never read any of Cole's other works, I have sampled many of them, and I was shocked when I came across this character here. If you've enjoyed any of the World on Fire series, this should be enough to sell you on The Everett Exorcism alone. This surprise character is a big part of the book, and we're treated to a great deal of their backstory.

The Everett Exorcism is part of a series as well, although unlike the World on Fire series this one is only two books - The Everett Exorcism and The Vatican Children - which make up the World of Shadows series. Both books release within a week of each other according to Amazon (the 24th and 31st of October respectively), and while I'm definitely interested in how the series will end, The Everett Exorcism ended on a very solid note. The two books are clearly connected, and even in the end it's clear what The Vatican Children will be about, but I don't feel like I read only half of a book. On the contrary - The Everett Exorcism felt like TWO books in one.

This "two books in one" was perhaps the closest I had to a negative about the book. From the beginning the book is told in third person, following Niccolo. Around halfway through the book shifts to another character, and in doing so the feel of the book changes drastically. The first half is tense, dark and even frightening, but the third quarter shifts toward action. I really missed how masterfully Cole wrote tense scenes where Niccolo didn't know if he was crazy or not. It wasn't because Cole was bad at the action side, it was because he was SO GOOD at the tense writing! I've never read a horror story before (aside from a bunch of Goosebumps books as a teenager), and I always assumed a book would never be able to make me feel as tense as a television show or movie. Boy was I wrong!

Overall, it's incredibly easy to give The Everett Exorcism 4 out of 4 stars. Cole masterfully pulls off tense moments, horror, questioning whether something is even real or not and action. He also successfully makes each of the characters (not just the main ones) feel like real people, and I loved every minute I spent with the book. If you like tense books or horror, especially if you're Christian (Niccolo and Jackson both bring some REALLY interesting stuff to the table), I highly recommend the book.

The Everett Exorcism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know you really enjoyed Raven's Peak, so I'm glad you got to review this one. Sounds like it fits right in with the others. Great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Thanks for the review! You obviously enjoyed the tension!
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

It sounds like you really enjoyed reading this novel. I enjoy this genre so this is a book I would also enjoy reading. The writer, Lincoln Cole, is new to me so I will definitely be looking into his other books. Your review was great! Thanks for sharing your feedback.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Now this is my kind of read, I love your review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Code: Select all

[code]
[/code]First of all, CataclysmicKnight, where do you find the time to write so many good reviews? Once again, you have persuaded me to read a book that I would normally not read. I do not like horror, especially when it involves demonology and have felt that way ever since I read The Exorcist in 1974. And yet, your descriptions of the characters make me want to know them. Thanks, [strike]Obama[/strike], CataclysmicKnight.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I really enjoyed Raven's Peak by the same author and this sounds like another read I'd love, so I'll get right on that!

I think I'll especially like the mental tugs=of-war, as I go through them on a daily basis, too!
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

Seems like an interesting read. Good review!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” – Jane Austen in Pride and Prejudice
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Nice book. I will rate it 4 out of 4. But I generally dislike horror novels.
Royalking
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Royalking »

Hmm love it
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I really like complex character development, so this sounds like an interesting book. I'll check it out!
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Amanio Godfrey
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Amanio Godfrey »

wow marvelous book....have enjoyed reading

-- 26 Nov 2017, 21:57 --

wow marvelous book....have enjoyed reading
Michael Davids daudi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michael Davids daudi »

Scared me but i loved every page
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-waragu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

This review is great. I am right away downloading this book "The Everett Exorcism" by Lincoln Cole.It seems to be an interesting one.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This author never fails to enthrall the reader and this book sounds like no exception. When a read evokes fear, horror, and mental as well as bodily tension in the reader you know you’re going to have a terrific book hangover! This book is going to the top of my TBR. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”