Official Review: The Covert Messiah by J R Lankford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Covert Messiah by J R Lankford

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Covert Messiah by J R Lankford is the fourth installment in The Jesus Thief series. The series focuses on Jess, a clone of Jesus Christ, who died previously in the series. That is, until Maggie Johnson, the woman who carried Jess, finds him alive and well while at the market one day. The rest of the novel focuses on various characters as they all head to Udugu, a village in Tanzania, and ultimately to Jess, for one reason or another. Ariel, a teenage girl who recently discovered she was pregnant, a pastor, his mistress, and Ahmad, a business man with ulterior motives will all come face to face with Jess. The burning question is, what is the reason for Jess’ sudden reappearance?

The author masterfully blends the characters’ stories, linking them all together as they meet in Udugu at the end. For the most part, each character had their positive and negative traits, making them come across as flawed and ultimately human. The blend of very different characters and very different cultures helped to maintain the reader’s interest. Although it was difficult to connect with some of the characters due to their financial statuses, they were fun to read about. On the other hand, the immersion into African culture felt authentic, and the author adequately explained foreign terms to avoid confusion.

However, there were certain plot points that were glossed over and resolved too easily. Most notably, Ariel’s pregnancy is given a lot of attention as it is her main storyline. Yet, her friend group and the events that resulted in the unexpected pregnancy are never explored. Further, this plot arc was tied up too conveniently and lessened the seriousness of Ariel’s predicament. Lastly, the way Ariel is written, the closure she is provided does not seem like it would satisfy her curiosity the way it did in the novel.

Although this is the fourth book in a series, the author provided enough backstory and clues about previous installments, so the story was easy to follow. It never felt like additional backstory was necessary to understand the current events taking place. While reading through The Covert Messiah, I was tempted to go back and read some of the previous stories, just to know more about how all of these events started. That being said, I would not hesitate to recommend this book to those who have not read any of the other installments in the series.

Clearly, the story told in The Covert Messiah requires a significant suspension of disbelief on the part of the reader. Readers of thrillers who don’t mind a farfetched plot will find this story engrossing and enjoy reading about the distinct cast of characters. Although there were some aspects of this story I found hard to wrap my head around, The Covert Messiah proved to be a fun, engaging read, leading me to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Covert Messiah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It doesn't look so convincing, the book, but Tanzania neighbors my country, Kenya, so I may be biased and check it out. And for it to have such a good rating must make it quite something.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this one to review, but I skipped it. I think maybe because it was in a series. I'm always leery of books in a series where I haven't read the rest. I'm glad the story was easy enough to follow, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this one to review, but I skipped it. I think maybe because it was in a series. I'm always leery of books in a series where I haven't read the rest. I'm glad the story was easy enough to follow, though. Thanks!
I know how you feel! It's always a gamble starting off in the middle of a series, but luckily this one was interesting and worked as a standalone. Thanks for commenting :)
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

First of all, it was the title of the book that got my attention. Wow! The author did a good job on that one. I'm a thriller lover but since this is the fourth book of this series, I think I'll be lost in between, somehow. But all the same, I'm sure it'll be a good read. Nice review. Please drop by my latest review to give your critical opinion about it. Every honest opinion helps me increase my writing skills.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Belynda White wrote:First of all, it was the title of the book that got my attention. Wow! The author did a good job on that one. I'm a thriller lover but since this is the fourth book of this series, I think I'll be lost in between, somehow. But all the same, I'm sure it'll be a good read. Nice review. Please drop by my latest review to give your critical opinion about it. Every honest opinion helps me increase my writing skills.
Thanks for commenting! The title is definitely intriguing - it was what initially drew me to this book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this one to review, but I skipped it. I think maybe because it was in a series. I'm always leery of books in a series where I haven't read the rest. I'm glad the story was easy enough to follow, though. Thanks!
Same here. There have been a couple of times when it wasn't made clear that a book was part of a series, so I ended up reviewing them but I do try to avoid it as it is often difficult to understand why certain things are happening without the background of earlier books.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The suspension of disbelief to read this novel appears to be the only way I could be reading it. Good review.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great job reviewing this book.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Thanks for the review. I give it 2 out of 4. Interesting story. The writer seems like an unbeliever.
Shahina Hussain
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shahina Hussain »

Best review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”