Official Review: The Taking of Peggy Martin by Karen Glista

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The Taking of Peggy Martin by Karen Glista

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Taking of Peggy Martin" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the dark of the night you think every shadow that you see is a threat. In the adrenaline rush of fear, you try and explain it away with rationalisations. What if those shadows were real and belong to beings of such horror and destruction that they’re beyond your comprehension? This is one of the premises of Karen Glista’s thriller, The Taking of Peggy Martin.

Grieving over her husband’s sudden death, Peggy is lost. With only her faith in God to hold onto, Peggy throws herself into her work at the mental institution, but when a patient, Morgan, is transferred to her ward, strange things start to occur. Blaming lack of sleep for the things she sees, Peggy starts to question her own sanity, but when Morgan acts like he knows her and his own terror escalates, she is caught up along with him.

When it comes to light that not all was what it seemed with her husband’s death, Peggy is suddenly the focus of an evil presence residing in Cypress Creek. With the help of Marbelle and her son, can Peggy find out the truth about her husband, Morgan and the residents of Cypress Creek, as well as survive the outcome?

Written in first person from Peggy’s perspective, the reader gets to know her character in the most detail. As she feels her sanity and her humanity derailing, the reader understands the strength in Peggy’s character as she questions her faith. There are multiple characters in the book, but that of Marbelle is one of strength and stability and deserves to be mentioned. Like an overprotective mother hen, she gives Peggy a longed for mother figure as well as emphasising the obstacles one will go through for the sake of their child.

Set in the 1950s in Texas, the setting is mainly of swamps and forest, far away from human habitation. The imagery here is such that the reader can almost feel the oppressive heat and humidity as the trees themselves feel like they are pressing in. This imagery helps to emphasise the overwhelming fear which runs throughout the novel, with never a clue as to where the next threat will come from.

The writing itself, while vivid and compelling, had multiple editorial errors from punctuation to the wrong use of a word. Also some words, such as begot, although in keeping with the religious aspect, were overused and not necessary. The speech of some of the characters were written phonetically in southern drawl, and as someone not from the States, I found it difficult to understand at first.

While the story is fast paced at times, with edge of your seat suspense, towards the end it dragged. As there was so much going on, it felt like it lost its way to some extent, before coming back together at the end.

I was not prepared to be as scared as I was reading this book. It started out as just an average story, then spiralled quickly into fear, conspiracy and gore. I like to be surprised by books and this one certainly did that. However, due to the editorial mistakes I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is definitely not a book for the faint hearted as it has graphic scenes of gore, rape and dismemberment. Readers who enjoy a thriller with a religious undertone will like this book.

The Taking of Peggy Martin
View: on Bookshelves

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well I'm not extremely squeamish, but I'm not sure this one is for me. It's too bad about the dragging at the end, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AriyoJam
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by AriyoJam »

Defenitely a book I must read. I love this genre, especially that scares you when you don't expect. Just like most of korean horror movies.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like a psychological thriller, just the thing to muddle up my brain, thanks for the wonderful review, already on me shelf
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I hear echoes of Psycho here. Thanks for an engrossing review, Micoleon13.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

I have not read a thriller for quite some time. This is one I would love to explore. Nice review.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Scary? The cover illustration of The Taking of Peggy Martin appears so, the review says so. I think the book will make an interesting reading for lovers of thrillers. Nice review, though.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Kimbo93
Bookshelf Size: 500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimbo93.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Kimbo93 »

I enjoyed your review. This may have to go on my never ending to-read list.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This book sounds perfect for me. There is nothing like a suspense novel that scares you so much you are too scared to sleep.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Scary? Definitely not for me. Nice review though

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”