Official Review: Rented Souls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Rented Souls

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rented Souls" by Eirik Moe Dahll-Larssøn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am Dwarf. That’s Agent Dwarf (my assigned code name) from the Unknown Counterintelligence Agency (UCIA). Our mission: We explore. We learn. We protect.

More than two decades ago, we discovered the Ether. We are now aware of myriads of other dimensions out there inhabited by strange creatures, both friends and foes but mostly the latter. The UCIA HQ houses a gateway to these dimensions (consisting of mirrors angled in a particular way) where we dispatch exploratory probes or highly trained men. (Unfortunately, the creatures can breach the Earth, too, using the same mirror technology.) We hold captive different species to learn their strengths and weaknesses to ensure that we can ably protect the Earth from hostile invasion. We know of different interdimensional creatures, e.g., the Hoochie Coochie Man (HC Man), the Ick, the Edward, and the Poe.

The UCIA (not to be confused with the less popular CIA) is an exclusive agency, and we hire only the best and the brightest. I am weak. I am short. I am ugly. A recruitment glitch brought me here. My job offer turned out to be a hoax hatched by a captured HC Man. I would have sold my soul unwittingly had I signed all the contract pages. Unfortunately for Soul Eater, the HC Man’s monster-boss who craved fried souls, my soul was not delivered. However, I signed enough pages to sever my soul from my body; I have since lived a soulless life. My freed soul latched onto the first soulless living thing it met, a blade of grass. To assuage his guilt over my fate, UCIA leader King took me in as an agent.

As a side effect of my soul’s severance from my body, I have become immortal. At this point, I have died six times fighting different monsters. I am tired of dying and coming back. Soul Eater has also decided to abduct me; he wants to use immortal me to take over the Earth. Sigh!

Will UCIA be able to thwart Soul Eater and his minions from invading the Earth? Will I ever get my soul back and finally rest in holy peace?

Rented Souls is a horror-comedy written by Eirik Moe Dahll-Larsson, with lots of inspiration and encouragement from his girlfriend and their imaginary pets, dog Waffle and cat Palpatine. It’s no wonder that this is an extraordinary work of fiction!

The monsters are definitely scary and vicious, and the gore (human and alien blood of all colors) expected by horror aficionados splatters the pages lavishly. But the horror is happily counterbalanced by the humorous narration of our main protagonist, Agent Dwarf. Dwarf tells the story from what he calls a vertically and soulfully challenged perspective, which is effectively hilarious. We see sarcasm and self-deprecation, as well as a smattering of dirty jokes, none of which are offensive to me. This is my first experience of a horror-comedy novel, although I recall that the film series Ghostbusters is of the same genre.

The characters are a unique lot. The author uses very witty character names. UCIA agents are named after their jobs or physical characteristics. We have Agent Book, the historian, and Agent Swayze, a perpetually shirtless, shoeless macho-man reminiscent of Dirty Dancing actor Patrick Swayze. The monsters: Ick is a viscous glob. The Poe spouts poetry. An Edward (clearly taken from Twilight) is a vampire.

The UCIA agents likewise use idiosyncratic weapons, to each his own. Apart from traditional firepower, each agent has a unique weapon in the form of stakes, crosses, bibles, water guns, and calendars. The key is the user’s absolute faith that the chosen weapon will work against the enemy monsters.

I was engrossed in the fast and furious fight scenes, naturally rooting for the earthlings to best the foes. The fighting was truly edge-of-my-seat suspense all the way. There were a number of cuss words used as expected in adrenaline-charged battles.

As is usual with stories about the supernatural, there are several inexplicable happenings, explained away as science-to-come. I find nothing wrong or unusual with this in a story that deals with the unknown. While the book also safely skirts the controversial topics of religion and God, it defines the soul as the essence of a person. I don’t suppose anyone can argue with this, too.

Reading this book was a delight and left me wanting more. I would have awarded it the perfect rating for the unique ploy of blending hilarity and suspense. Grammar and editorial issues, however, dampened my enthusiasm. Misspellings like “Jaunary” for January, “supressed” for suppressed, and “along” for alone sidetracked me. The author also used semicolons and periods galore, in place of commas or colons. There was a profusion of sentence fragments in Chapter 13. Another round of careful editing would weed out these irritants and clinch another star for the book.

Fans of horror stories and those who enjoy a good laugh will have many hours of fun with this book, which I merrily rate with 3 out of 4 stars. Younger readers may need to look out for the cussing, though. This is surely a book that we earthlings will find worth reading if only to know how not to angle our mirrors at home.

Rented Souls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Molina,
A delight to read, excellent review. I want to read this book, you have me sold.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the fusion of two genres like this. It sounds quite interesting and unique! Thanks for a very fun review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Haha "the Hoochie Coochie Man (HC Man)"! :lol2: loved the introduction! The review was very fun and enjoyable to read. This book is a must read for me now - I love to laugh. And I appreciate the horror genre.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Oh wow written from the point of view of a character from the book. This was such an entertaining read. Thank you for stopping by my review. I hope to be influenced by your writing even just for a little bit.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

juliusotinyo wrote:Molina,
A delight to read, excellent review. I want to read this book, you have me sold.
I'm glad you liked the review. I enjoyed writing it. Dwarf is a lovable ang laughable hero. Enjoy!

-- 23 Aug 2017, 15:28 --
kandscreeley wrote:I love the fusion of two genres like this. It sounds quite interesting and unique! Thanks for a very fun review!
Read em and laugh! I totally enjoyed Dwarf. I hope you get to meet him, too.

-- 23 Aug 2017, 15:31 --
ritah wrote:Haha "the Hoochie Coochie Man (HC Man)"! :lol2: loved the introduction! The review was very fun and enjoyable to read. This book is a must read for me now - I love to laugh. And I appreciate the horror genre.
A sense of humor goes a long way when one gets killed for a living!

-- 23 Aug 2017, 15:35 --
Izesicle wrote:Oh wow written from the point of view of a character from the book. This was such an entertaining read. Thank you for stopping by my review. I hope to be influenced by your writing even just for a little bit.
Thanks for your appreciation, Izesicle. Actually, the blurb was in Dwarf's POV. I just had to write the review that way, too. It was fun writing it.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Your introduction to the review made me laugh. What a fun way to introduce and review a book.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, CatInTheHat! It was a gamble to write the review that way. I didn't know how the editors would feel about it. But I wanted to risk it for the joy of writing something unique. So, here we are. Dwarf would be proud!
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Humorous and delightful review. Thank you for that! Blending humour into horror makes the book sound truly enticing and a vivid read. On my to read list definitely!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for laughing, Athena Moon. I hope Dwarf will able to scare you to death and tickle you to resurrection.
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

I didn't know you love horror stories that much, but this is an excellent review.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, El-kanah! C/T/M/H is my thing! My boring life needs all the adventure I can get, even if it's only imagined haha. Thanks for your kind words.
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

Lovely review. However, horror books are not my cup of tea so I am going to skip reading this one. I like how you summarise the story.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for reading and commenting, Ana Njeri! I appreciate your kind words.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

Miriam... An excellent job on the review. You got me right there. I'm not going near the book though, I don't want to start having nightmares about souls sticking to grass blades ? neither do I intend meeting Agent Dwarf yet. Well done dear. Please take a look at my review of First Friday. Cheers

-- 25 Aug 2017, 01:41 --

Miriam... An excellent job on the review. You got me right there. I'm not going near the book though, I don't want to start having nightmares about souls sticking to grass blades ? neither do I intend meeting Agent Dwarf yet. Well done dear. Please take a look at my review of First Friday. Cheers
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”