Official Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by barb429 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ribzkniks" by Y M Georges.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a series of grisly murders occur in Brooklyn, it is up to Detective TJ Miller to find the culprit as quickly as possible. This is a strange case, as the victims seem to have very little in common, and their bodies are mutilated. In fact, it seems as though there may be something not quite human behind these murders.

As Detective Miller continues his investigation, he is introduced to Cheryl, a young mother and the neighbor of one of the victims. Miller is instantly attracted to Cheryl and the two begin a romantic relationship. Unfortunately for Cheryl, she and her daughter have also gained the attention of one of the murderous creatures that is reeking havoc on the city.

Y M Georges’ Ribzkniks is an interesting mix between fairy tale and detective novel. The ribzkniks are tiny little creatures who feast on the flesh and blood of humans. Throughout this story, you not only follow Detective Miller, but also Gantt, the leader of the ribzkniks. This allows the reader to join the ribzkniks as they choose their victim. Georges also delves into Gantt’s history and origins. I enjoyed this aspect of the book, I found Gantt’s story much more interesting than that of the humans.

Ribzkniks introduces the reader to several different characters throughout the book. As the creatures make a kill, you get to know a little bit about the victim. Although some of the characters are unlikable, and in true horror movie form, you don’t necessarily mourn their demise, this is not the case for all of them. In just a few sentences, Georges manages to introduce the reader to several different people, none of which are two-dimensional. I felt as thought this was an interesting way to introduce the victims. When you start a chapter, you are never certain whether this is somebody that you are going to get to know more, or if they will be dead on the next page. It does keep you guessing.

There were some formatting issues throughout this book. The alignment was centered, so sometimes it was difficult to tell where one paragraph ended and another started. There was also a section in which the tense changed from past to present. This sometimes made it a little difficult to read, I found myself having to read sections over again, just because of the formatting.

Ribzkniks is a quick, but entertaining read. The chapters are short, and it is easy to get caught up in the story. I think that if you enjoy supernatural stories, or tales about mythical creatures, you would definitely enjoy this one. I give Ribzkniks 3 out of 4 stars.

Ribzkniks
View: on Bookshelves

Like barb429's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very interesting review! I liked the book so much from your review that I am going to grab a copy of it and read it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

This book sounds like quite a thrilling read, following a murderous creature as it selects its next victim. so creepy.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Neat story. I love that it is a mix between fairy tale and detective story. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Small creatures feeding on blood, what an adorable premise of the story. The alignment you have mentioned does not sound distracting to me and your review makes it sound like a good read with an interesting approach to background of the victims. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”