Official Review: NighthawK African Ice by C. Edgar North

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: NighthawK African Ice by C. Edgar North

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "NighthawK African Ice" by C. Edgar North.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did you ever wonder how the mind of a criminal works? Nighthawk: African Ice by C. Edgar North gives you a glimpse of how criminals turn a problem into an advantage and a possible enterprise. This fiction novel takes you around the world, from the peaceful shores of Maldives to the dangerous borders of Colombia. Nighthawk: African Ice is the second installment of the Nighthawk series. It is a mix of action, adventure, romance, and suspense.

Joseph Branson, Chief of the Midlake Indian Tribe and former Navy SEAL, lost his son in a failed smuggling operation. Now wanted by the FBI, Joseph Branson decided to lie low from his business operations in Canada. Together with his wife, Hazel, he fled to Maldives. There, he formed a partnership with Igor Romanoff, a Russian arms dealer. They started trading weapons in exchange for raw diamonds from African conflict zones. Joseph came up with the idea of processing the raw diamonds to gain more profit. Igor agreed to this idea and left Joseph to find the right people for the diamond-cutting job.

Meanwhile, Joseph asked Hazel to go back to Midlake Indian Tribe and run as the next Chief. Upon her return, she learned about the high dropout rate of high school students in the reservation. She moved to eradicate the problem but she attracted fearsome enemies in the process.

What struck me with this novel were the facts that the author presented. While this was a work of fiction, the procedures used in the diamond cutting industry, as well as other processes mentioned in the story, were based on facts. Even the places mentioned in the story were clearly and correctly described. The procedures were not difficult to follow because the author used simple terms. I found it useful and informative as I am not familiar with the procedures. It was also helpful that the author mentioned some parts of the first book in the Nighthawk series. That way, I did not have to read the first Nighthawk book. It was clear that the author took a great deal of time to research these details. The result was a stunning masterpiece.

Future readers may want to know that this book had put more emphasis on the details and less on the action. Though there were minimal fighting scenes, it will not disappoint you. I was glued to the fighting scenes as there was enough description to visualize it and build the suspense. The novel also has a cliffhanger ending. Some parts of the story were intentionally left hanging by the author. The good this is that all the loose ends will be answered in the third installment of the series.

Considering all these points, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy a good fiction book with a dash of action and adventure.

NighthawK African Ice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

It sounds like a good book with a lot of twists.Too bad it ends as a cliffhanger.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Reading about how the mind of a criminal works... You've got my attention! This sounds great. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

The Researcher wrote:It sounds like a good book with a lot of twists.Too bad it ends as a cliffhanger.
There's a third book in the series and it's already out in the market. It would answer all the loose ends. You might want to try reading this book and go for the next one.

-- July 27th, 2017, 5:58 pm --
Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Reading about how the mind of a criminal works... You've got my attention! This sounds great. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the review.
Thank you! It was a great read for me. If you're interested, I'm sure you will enjoy this book as well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Very nice review. Too bad it has a cliffhanger, but it's nice that there's a third book already out. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

kandscreeley wrote:Very nice review. Too bad it has a cliffhanger, but it's nice that there's a third book already out. Thanks.
Yes, the third book is already out. The cliffhanger would not be so bad if you read the next installment right away. :)
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Great review. This sounds like a fun read, especially considering the adventure aspect with a dash of romance. Hm, reading this books means I'll have to get the first book before anything else, and the third book right after! I'm a stickler for reading books in order :)
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I love this type of books . I will definitely read it when I finish reading current book. Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
mukaminjenga
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mukaminjenga »

Well ellaborated review. Its a good giude to those intrested in reading the book. Its my next book in the list to 'read'.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great Review! This book sounds very interesting!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Wonderful review, Ellieonline03. I think I'd want to find out how the mind of a criminal works.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I like that there are lots of well-researched details - I might keep this book in mind. It has such a cool title, I don't think I'll forget.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

Great review, this fictional story seems intriguing enough and I like the fact that there is crime involved, this always come with some mystery of some kind, and the fight scenes seem fun too. However I hope the book doesn't end in suspence even if it is a series. Must read

-- 01 Aug 2017, 08:36 --

Great review, this fictional story seems intriguing enough and I like the fact that there is crime involved, this always come with some mystery of some kind, and the fight scenes seem fun too. However I hope the book doesn't end in suspence even if it is a series. Must read
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, Juliet. I hope you will enjoy this book as much as I did.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Well written review. Blood diamonds and the mind of criminals. Sounds like a fantastic read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”