Official Review: Devil's Run by AR Simmons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Devil's Run by AR Simmons

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Devil's Run" by AR Simmons.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking for murder, mystery and mayhem with few adult situations? I may have the book for you! Devil's Run by AR Simmons is a fictional novel in the crime/mystery genre. It has around 350 pages and is available for free with a Kindle Unlimited subscription. This is the 12th book in the Richard Carter series, but it works well as a stand-alone novel.

Richard Carter is a detective in a small town in Missouri. This stereotypical small town, where not much generally happens, is about to explode – literally. At 2 o'clock in the morning, Carter wakes to the sound of explosions from the downtown area. A warehouse is on fire; the canisters of gas inside causing explosions every so often. Sheriff Shug orders Carter along with detectives Kit Kittredge and Ron Guidry on crowd control; they are to keep people away from the dangerous warehouse. When the fire department is finally able to get the fire under control, the police department finds two bodies inside the warehouse. It seems, though, that these two did not die in the fire as both had their legs broken before it started. There is also a body in a car outside the warehouse; this victim was shot in the head at point-blank range. This stinks of a cover up. But who is it? And what are they covering up? Ride along with Detective Carter and find out.

The plot in this novel is fairly straightforward. Someone has been murdered, and the police must figure out the motive as well as the killer. Sounds a little too simple, right? It would be, but Mr. Simmons does a great job at adding twists and turns that make this novel unique. The plot is also fairly evenly paced. There were only a couple of times in the story that I found myself a little bit bored; however, it wasn't long before the author drew me back in with some new information or more action. As for the mystery aspect, I was at least three-quarters of the way through the book before I even began to suspect the culprit.

Even better than the twists and turns in this book are the characters. The characters were true to life; I found myself really being able to relate to them. Carter is a veteran who still has flashbacks to his time in the service. He has a tendency toward male chauvinism, but he acknowledges it (and attributes it more to chivalry, which I will leave to the reader to determine.) Yet, he is empathetic and caring. He often finds himself trying to maintain a balance between work and home life as he is married with a child. Kit is a fairly new detective. She wants to be one of the boys, but Carter tries to protect her. Kit is a strong female character who shows us that women can do anything men can. My favorite character, though, is her pit bull Champ.

As for the negative aspects of the story, there are very few. There was a small bit of repetition in the story, but it happened twice in a 350 page novel. Hardly even worth mentioning. The author claims that this is a stand-alone book; for the most part, he's right. There are things that are alluded to that I knew had to be in one of the previous stories. That being said, they were such a small part of this story that it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book. For example, one of the reasons Kit has Champ is because a break-in occurred at her property some time back. We are told nothing else, but I didn't lose sleep over it.

Devil's Run is a good book that leaves me little to complain about. Therefore, I must give it 4 out of 4 stars. There are adult themes in the book, but they are handled with kid gloves. The violence is very tame, the language is mild, and sexual scenes are non-existent. So, I can not only recommend this book to adults who enjoy a good mystery but also to older teenagers. If, however, you are one that wants to get in the mind of the killer and enjoys the violence and gore, this probably isn't the book for you.

Devil's Run
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

To me, the best books are when the characters seem to come to life. I may need to read this one.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks CatInTheHat. I also love when the characters come to life. That's one thing about this book. You actually feel like these people could exist somewhere.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I like that this book can work as a stand alone because it would be a royal pain to have to read 11 books before I can enjoy this one. Too bad I wasted my Kindle unlimited subscription free trial.
Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jaime! Yeah, I wouldn't have even reviewed this one if the author didn't specifically say that it was a stand alone. Kindle Unlimited can be a pain. I'm sure there are a lot of good books on there, but you have to wade through the not so good ones, too!
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

kandscreeley wrote:This stereotypical small town, where not much generally happens, is about to explode – literally.
I have no idea why this made me laugh. I do appreciate a simple, yet exciting novel. Good review!
-rk
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I trip to make my reviews interesting. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Valentine Mwangi
Currently Reading: Devil's Run
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Valentine Mwangi »

I find the review very intriguing and the fact that it can be read by different audiences is just great.Its a book am quite eager to read
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Valentine. I hope you read and enjoy!
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A crime story with a perfect rating (by a reviewer I trust) is a temptation I cannot resist. Thanks for your review, Kandscreely. Splendid, as usual!
Nuhu Appiah
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nuhu Appiah »

This is a great masterpiecetqt must read

-- 19 Jul 2017, 15:26 --

-- 19 Jul 2017, 15:26 --

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Miriam! If you read it, I hope you enjoy!
—Neil Gaiman
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I'm not really into this genre, but I do like your reviews! This book seems a simple enough plot that I would be able to keep up, but still be kept interested.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Gingerbo0ks- I think this would be good even for those that don't read this genre. It really is a simple plot, but somehow the author keeps it interesting. Thanks for the comment and the compliment!
—Neil Gaiman
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172

Post by Quirinius »

As even the bible says the Devil is always a lier as seen in this review, Am ready for the rest of sequence series awaiting me. Thanks for the Review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”