Official Review: Connected by Joe DeCicco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: Connected by Joe DeCicco

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Connected" by Joe DeCicco.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Connected is a crime novel that is written by Joe DeCicco, inspired by his experience as a New York City detective. DeCicco explains that “all names, characters, organizations, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or, if real, are used fictionally without any intent to describe their actual account.” The story follows a New York Police Officer, Mike Romano, as he begins working at the NYPD detective unit.

Detective Romano quickly proves that he is made for the job with his clever ways of dealing with colleagues, mobsters, and suspects in every case. He faces resistance from his difficult boss who constantly makes racist comments about his Italian background. Detective Romano always has witty comebacks and finds ways to manipulate risky situations to avoid getting into trouble. Other detectives refer to him as a “bulldog” because of his tenacity to solve cases and his courage to challenge the legal system for justice.

Joe DeCicco does an impressive job at describing the different personalities involved in this line of work. He includes many different cultures in his stories; it is obvious that he is experienced working with diverse cultures in a large city. He also includes the roles of the Italian, Russian, and Chinese mob in the different cases. It was interesting to read about how Detective Romano interacted with the different mobs and their influence in the community.

Each chapter takes you inside Detective Romano’s head as he interacts with influential members of the community, suspects, victims, and the court. Every case is written with great details; you feel like you are running around the city with Detective Romano as he tries to put all the pieces of the crime together. Some of the cases were about attempted murder, sex assault, and robbery. Graphic language and details of physical abuse can make it hard for some to read through. I felt that it added authenticity to the crimes committed.

I gave this book a 2 out of 4 stars because there were many misspelled words. Many words were missing a letter or had an extra letter added. Even though I could make out what the word was, it did get bothersome to see misspelled words often. Also, some sentences had words that were typed out of order, which made it difficult to smoothly read through those parts of the story.

I also felt that although the book was interesting, it was not memorable enough for me to highly recommend it. DeCicco did an excellent job with describing the challenges that a detective can encounter on the streets and back at the office. He also shares the personal challenges that this career has on family life. The stories were somewhat predictable since it was based on real life events. This book would have been more interesting if there were suspenseful moments or unpredictable turns to the cases.

I would recommend this book to those who are interested in becoming a detective and enjoy reading about the difficulties of dealing with the legal system while trying to solve different types of cases. Those who are sensitive to graphic details of assault or profanity may not want to read this book. Overall, I enjoyed reading about the different cases and gained insight about this line of work.

Connected
View: on Bookshelves

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I was thinking about reading this but after reading your commentary, I am glad I didn't.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

It's too bad that there are so many errors in this. :( However, I might still check it out since I am interested in this field. Good job with the constructive criticism!
fredrick raini
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fredrick raini »

it is excellent
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I love getting into the minds of criminals and understanding their thinking. I wish there were more than 24hours in a day. This book is a must read, but for now, it has to wait. I don't mind the typos.

Nice Review.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
fredrick raini

Post by fredrick raini »

i love reading crime stories. they make me understand our approach to handle crimes
Dragosta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Dragosta »

Crime stories are my favorite, but this one seems doesn't have the quality that a real crime book needs to success. However, nice job, keep it up and do not give up. ALL THE BEST :)
sheilajepkoech
Currently Reading: Severed Threads
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by sheilajepkoech »

Lovable
Norjie
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Norjie »

I also felt that although the book was interesting, it was not memorable enough for me to highly recommend it. DeCicco did an excellent job with describing the challenges that a detective can encounter on the streets and back at the office. He also shares the personal challenges that this career has on family life. The stories were somewhat predictable since it was based on real life events. This book would have been more interesting if there were suspenseful moments or unpredictable turns to the cases.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for pointing out the positives and negatives on this one. Sounds like there are too many other great books out there that I'm going to skip this one for now. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Derrick itaga

Post by Derrick itaga »

Its important to most youths as such crimes accrue to them
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Jaime Lync wrote:Great review! I was thinking about reading this but after reading your commentary, I am glad I didn't.
Thank you.

-- 22 Aug 2017, 01:05 --
Kitkat3 wrote:It's too bad that there are so many errors in this. :( However, I might still check it out since I am interested in this field. Good job with the constructive criticism!
Thank you. Yes, the errors were disappointing. I think if you are interested in the field, then you would be interested in reading this book. Enjoy!

-- 22 Aug 2017, 01:06 --
fredrick raini wrote:it is excellent
:tiphat:

-- 22 Aug 2017, 01:07 --
BestReviews wrote:I love getting into the minds of criminals and understanding their thinking. I wish there were more than 24hours in a day. This book is a must read, but for now, it has to wait. I don't mind the typos.

Nice Review.
Thank You

-- 22 Aug 2017, 01:08 --
kandscreeley wrote:Thanks for pointing out the positives and negatives on this one. Sounds like there are too many other great books out there that I'm going to skip this one for now. Thanks for the review, though.
You're welcome.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”