Official Review: Gestation Seven by J Stewart Willis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Gestation Seven by J Stewart Willis

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gestation Seven" by J Stewart Willis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gestation Seven: One Was Black and One Was White by J. Stewart Willis is a novel listed on Amazon in the thriller & suspense category. It has just over 375 pages, and the Kindle edition is $7.99. This is the story of the results of an experiment gone wrong.

Two babies have been found in a dumpster behind a barbecue restaurant. One was black and one was white; both were wrapped in white sheets. Mary Murphy, a reporter with a local newspaper, happened to see the police removing these bundles from the scene. As the new kid on the block, she is anxious to get the scoop on this story as it is her ticket to the front page.

Meanwhile, David Neale has been nervous and uptight lately causing his wife to visit her parents. David works at the National Institute of Health, and two of his co-workers have gone missing. David and his two co-workers were involved in an experiment that seems to have gone awry. Now, they’ve both disappeared leaving David holding the bag.

This book is written in the third person point of view. It alternates between several characters; however, it is always clear who is talking. The chapter title introduces us to what day it is and which character is speaking. I enjoyed getting multiple points of view in a novel such as this where there is a crime involved. Not only do we get the perspective of one of the perpetrators, but we also get to look through the eyes of a reporter and even some investigators. This is helpful in figuring out what exactly has happened.

Unfortunately, I didn’t think there was much suspense involved in this story. We learn at the beginning that several babies have been murdered. We also learn fairly early on that somehow David Neale is connected with it. The story then turns to figuring out the details of the crime and how to best prosecute. In my opinion, this story would be better classified as a crime novel.

That is not to say, however, that the story isn’t enjoyable. The author does a good job at keeping the readers’ interest. I found I was looking forward to learning what would happen in the lives of the characters. The characters are fleshed out well, and I was able to empathize with David as well as the other characters involved. Good characters, to me, help to overlook many flaws in the story.

I was expecting there to be more mentioned about the actual experiment. We learn what the scientists were hoping to accomplish but not how the experiment progressed. I would have enjoyed reading more about the experiment itself instead of just trying to figure out how to pin it on the criminals. If the author maybe even added some flashbacks of the experiment, I think this would have made the novel even more entertaining and unique.

I also felt that the ending left something to be desired. There were two things that bothered me about the ending. First, while I’m not sure it would classify as a cliffhanger, the story just seemed to stop. The author didn’t have everything wrapped up in a nice, neat package like most people are expecting. Secondly, there was a committee hearing that seemed to be more about the author expressing his ethical viewpoint on certain types of experiments than adding to the story. I think the author would have done better to eliminate the hearing and focus more on wrapping up other aspects of the story.

Overall I give Gestation Seven 3 out of 4 stars. The characters were easy to relate to, the plot was interesting, and the point of view was well-done. One thing that would move this from a good story to a truly great read would be that little something extra – perhaps some added suspense or the inclusion of the details of the experiment. Also, I think the ending needs to be reworked to help readers feel more satisfied. Still, those who enjoy stories of investigations and criminals being apprehended would enjoy this book.

Gestation Seven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

The way the story seems to come to a stop doesn't do justice to this book, though i would still read it to find out what happened to David's two colleagues. Good review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thank you Rosemary. If you do read this one, let me know what you think. It's definitely interesting.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I liked that you mentioned how much the book cost. The way the book stops seems disappointing but I know that the writer in me would do something like that just because it is a cool technique. Also, too bad that this lacked suspense.
Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jaime. I know some will like this but it's not for everyone. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
ebolen01
Currently Reading: Succubus Blues
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ebolen01 »

I feel like after reading The Girl on the Train, I am an expert in following along with multiple points-of-view that constantly switch back and forth. Your review sounded interesting until you said that the ending left something to be desired and that the author didn't elaborate on what the "experiment gone wrong" was. I do find myself interested in reading the book though to further discuss your point-of-view along with my own personal opinion.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I would love to hear your point of view on this book. Let me know if you do read it.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An interesting premise. Too bad about the disappointing ending and the lack of suspense. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite those issues. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks gali. I appreciate you stopping by. It was still interesting; it just could have been better. :)
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The premise sounds very interesting! I'm intrigued about why the babies were in the dumpster. I'm not usually a fan of this category but I'm curious about the story.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Amagine. That's why I picked this one up. It sounded so intriguing to me.
—Neil Gaiman
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Interesting premise, but as you point out, the execution doesn't seem to serve the concept in the best way. Still, 3 out of 4 stars is a great rating. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It was interesting enough that I know people will enjoy reading, but it still could have been better. Thanks Tanaya. :)
—Neil Gaiman
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

Great review! I would read this book. Though I'm afraid that I would be disappointed a little bit, if, as you said, it is more a crime novel than a thriller.
Thanks for introducing this book! :wink2:
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

If you're looking for a thriller, you probably wouldn't like this one. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”