Official Review: Let Me Die by Rubby Nwonye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Official Review: Let Me Die by Rubby Nwonye

Post by Vivian Paschal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let Me Die" by Rubby Nwonye.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every family runs into crisis and poor communication is a major family problem that usually goes unnoticed. In Let Me Die, Nwonye tells the story of a family suffering from poor communication. Elsie has raised three children: Rodney, Nancy and Josh, who have grown up to separate themselves from one another and from her. Their relationship is so strained that their conversations are too formal for members of the same family, and though we are told that Nancy and Josh have always been the closest, the former did not know that her younger brother smoked (page 19). They only get interested in mending their broken family when they realise that their mother is battling with her health, plans to get married to her thirty-seven years old gigolo, and has drawn up her will in such a way that it is unfavourable to them. In fact, their major motivation is the fact that their mother’s will mostly favours Frank, the gigolo, and they decide that they must put an end to the marriage before it even begins.

Elsie, on the other hand, has struggled to get them on the right path, especially her oldest, Rodney, who continues to lead a life of crime against her. From her late parent’s experience, Elsie understands the difficulty in getting proper care at old age and the impact of life support and attempts to resuscitate a dying patient on both the patient and loved ones, an understanding which informs her directive to die without attempt at resuscitation. One can only imagine how disturbed she feels therefore, when her children do not seem interested enough in her to provide the kind of care she hopes for and to appreciate that ‘Let me die’ directive.

Let Me Die: Do Not Resuscitate is the first published novel of writer Rubby Nwonye. It is a fictional work and has received impressive positive review since its publication, sparking anticipation of the author’s upcoming work ‘Sex Slavers’. In this novel, Nwonye creates an interesting and expository plot that calls us to re-examine our own relationships with our families. Every here and there, he doles out words of advice and encouragement through the comments of his characters. Also, the author is applaudably able to show a high level of knowledge and research in the areas of professionalism touched on in the novel, specifically the medical, police and legal aspects. Likewise, he does a good job of combining family, romance, health and crime in the twenty chapters of the book.

Yet, like most books, it does have its flaws. The story seems to drag on with a number of monologues which would have been better off as mere narratives, for example, where Scott reflects on his life (chapter 15). There is also the use of devices such as flashbacks and forwards without linking them with the narrative, thereby breaking the flow of the plot. The use of first names to refer to accused persons in court and police officers affects the professionalism which the author seeks to express. In addition, in portraying the stringent relationship existing among members of the family, the author seems to have gone too far such that many of the conversations have the formality of a business meeting; and while Elsie’s children might not have been close to her as adults, they must have been as kids, and it was too late for them to be hearing their grandparents’ names as adults (chapter 9). Furthermore, the novel lacks proper editing with several spelling, tense, and grammatical number errors. In fact, at some point, we read “sheep in wolves clothing” rather than “wolf in sheep’s clothing” (page 95).

However, it is commendable that the author sought to pass across such an important and almost-forgotten message. Though I found it a little difficult to read as a result of the aforementioned flaws, I suspect that it will make for an inspiring read for many. I therefore rate Let Me Die 2 out of 4 stars and I enjoin everyone to pick up a copy of the novel as the reader is sure to learn a lot.

Let Me Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vivian Paschal's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Very thorough review. I am not sure what the context was but sometimes sheep in wolves clothing makes sense. I would have found the flashback and forward and the monologues really tedious as well. Thanks for the review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love that this is a book that readers can learn a lot from but just like you, I find a book that has too many long monologues to be tedious.

Great Review! ❤
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's sad that this book is so tedious. It seems to be that it almost doesn't belong in the C/T/M/H genre. Maybe there's more of that in there than I realize, though. I think I'll be avoiding this one for now. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Jaime Lync wrote:Very thorough review. I am not sure what the context was but sometimes sheep in wolves clothing makes sense. I would have found the flashback and forward and the monologues really tedious as well. Thanks for the review.

Hey... Thanks for taking a look. About the context, wolf in sheep's clothing was the right phrase, but I guess it was something the editor failed to notice. It's a nice book anyway.
Emily Elizee
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-elizee.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Emily Elizee »

Felt I read this book by just reading this long review, very informative.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was very honest review. The premise sounds profound and very promising since all of us will reach old age in due time. Too bad, though, about the flaws of the book. Good job on the review.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

This is a very thoughtful review. I've read all I need to know. The plot is really interesting but I'm also not a fan of dragging monologues especially with a family story like this. Thank you for sharing!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”