Official Review: The Persian Woman by Thomas Booker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: The Persian Woman by Thomas Booker

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Persian Woman" by Thomas Booker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thomas Booker’s The Persian Woman touches the soul of its reader in so many different ways. Elements of military maneuvers, rescues, domestic terrorism, personal relationships, and so much more will keep one turning the pages, unable to put the story down. Readers will be amazed at how Booker manages to make them reconsider their preconceived notions of the people in their world.

Former Navy Seal, Jeffrey Quinn makes it his mission in life to protect those he cares about, especially the DeLong girls. Jeffrey was part of a team that rescued Teal and Robin DeLong from the Sudan several years ago. Jeffrey also lost his wife to a lone wolf jihadist’s random act of violence. These past events play into his current life in ways he never saw coming. Robin’s death is just the start of a string of events that pairs Jeffrey up with an unlikely ally in the FBI. Vicious terrorists have infiltrated the United States, and it is up to Jeffrey and his ally to stop them. His mission often seems to conflict with that of his employer, Senator DeLong.

Jeffrey must figure out if Teal is on the good side or the bad side of one scary terrorist. Has she been brainwashed or has she become one of them? Jeffrey needs help, not hindrance, from many parties to save not only several people he cares about but also his nation. Can he get enough people to believe in what he is discovering? Will the right people act in time? Jeffrey is also on a personal journey of redemption, as he delves into some very dark situations. See how the title figure plays into that journey, in some rather unexpected ways.

As Booker tells this unique story, he demonstrates excellent knowledge of military operations, Iranian and Muslim cultural norms, and the way various levels of law enforcement interact with each other. It is somewhat scary but believable to think that things could happen the way Booker portrays it in his fictional tale. The way people interact makes one really “feel” the story and connect with the characters. Further, he manages to elicit every human emotion known to man: anger, love, caring, fear, kindness, laughter, horror, etc.

The Persian Woman is an amazing modern story that many readers will be able to connect with on a very personal level. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a page-turner that will keep you up at night. Weaknesses just do not exist in this story; the storytelling is excellent, and the editing is professionally done. Please do note that there are some very graphic and gruesome scenes of violence that can be disturbing to some readers. It is, after all, a story of terror.

The Persian Woman
View: on Bookshelves

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jmermitapogi_18
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jmermitapogi_18 »

The story is very nice and may based on true life story that sometimes we think it is not actually happen.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

jmermitapogi_18 wrote:The story is very nice and may based on true life story that sometimes we think it is not actually happen.
It's pure fiction, not based on a true story.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the author knows the topic. It can make a book very annoying when it's obvious the writer had no idea what he was talking about. Sounds like a wonderful book. I enjoy a good page turner. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm interested in this book because it touches on the topic of terrorism which is such a sensitve topic now. The plot seems interesting and the characters seem as though they have some depth. This sounds like a really good book.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Middle east culture involved - count me in. Great review.
sirval

Post by sirval »

This is a very nice story. I love it.
Mitey

Post by Mitey »

The story made me confused... Yet I can see how good the story flows.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Mitey wrote:The story made me confused... Yet I can see how good the story flows.
What part is confusing to you? Maybe I can help.
SpiderDreamer1

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This sounds interesting! In terms of violent content, how extreme does it get? I feel like sometimes stories with this kind of subject matter can go overboard.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:This sounds interesting! In terms of violent content, how extreme does it get? I feel like sometimes stories with this kind of subject matter can go overboard.

It is as extreme as it can get. I really don't want to get too specific as it would really lend to some spoilers. For this particular story, however, the graphic violence was appropriate to the horrific story being told.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow! This sounds like a very intriguing story! I like learning about different cultures, and I feel the Iranian and Muslim cultures are ones I'm not too familiar with. I'm not sure how much I would like talk about the military, but everything else sounds really good. Thank you for your thoughts and for a great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Although I don't care for too much graphic violence in books, the story sounds very interesting. Off to look at the sample.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! Although I don't care for too much graphic violence in books, the story sounds very interesting. Off to look at the sample.
I don't typically care for the graphic violence either. Often, I find it gratuitous. However, in this particular book, it was fitting to the story.
Dayang Siti Zuraida
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dayang Siti Zuraida »

The book sounds like the author really put himself in the story telling. He knows what should and what shouldn't to write in his book!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”