Official Review: Fleeting Visions by Rene Natan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Fleeting Visions by Rene Natan

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fleeting Visions" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Camilo Estorbar has a business to run but is having some trouble. His messenger, Louis, delivered a package of drugs worth $200,000 to the wrong person. Camilo punishes Louis severely landing Louis in the hospital much to the chagrin of Estorbar. Detective Gordon Stevenson is asked to check up on Louis as he states his injuries are from falling down the stairs. Clearly that is not the case, but since Louis is 18, Detective Stevenson cannot get child services involved. Instead, he asks Joceyln Cardel, a staff member at the hospital where Louis is, to keep an eye on him.

Meanwhile, Estorbar continues to have problems. One of the girls in his prostitution ring is gravely ill. She cannot be taken to the hospital for fear of the police getting involved. Despite this, Madam Rose drops her off at the hospital. Camilo fires Rose for going against his orders. Now, he must not only find more girls but a new Madam as well. Detective Gordon is determined to solve the death of the poor girl. He thinks that Louis is somehow involved, but he can’t get Louis to talk.

Fleeting Visions by Rene Natan is a thriller of just under 200 pages. It takes place in the town of London, Ontario in Canada. Ms. Natan wrote this book after a trip to Mexico with her husband. Their travel agent at the time voiced concerns that many of the local girls were getting caught up in human trafficking and ending up in prostitution. Ms. Natan knew then that this would be the subject of her next book as the prostitution of minors is a grave problem in our society.

This book is fast-paced with plenty of action to keep one interested. I got involved in the story right from the beginning and continued to wonder what would happen next. The story alternates between several different points of view but is easy to follow along with. I enjoyed getting a glimpse into the mind of the antagonist as well as the protagonists.

The characters, while acceptable, were not extremely well-developed. I don’t think Ms. Natan showed enough of the inner struggle of these characters. For example Louis, from the beginning, does not want to tell the police anything. He is afraid that Camilo will find him and punish him. In the middle of the story, however, he changes his mind. It seemed a sudden change, and I didn’t really understand the motivation behind the decision.

I also have a problem with an aspect in the character of Jocelyn Cardel. She has an issue with relationships, which I understand. However, the author seems to indicate that she has a perfectly normal sex drive. Jocelyn, though, for some reason thinks that she is abnormal and does everything she can to suppress this drive. Ms. Natan doesn’t expound on why this is so that I could relate to the situation at all. To me, it just seemed odd and out of place in the story. Then, Jocelyn seems to get over this pretty quickly in the end.

While the subject matter is intense, the author handles the topic with extreme delicacy. Nothing graphic is included in the story which does not need to be there. I appreciate that as there are some, including me, who don’t want every gory detail.

One last thing to point out is the title. I’m not extremely sure where it comes from in the story. I think it comes from one of the secondary characters in the story who is somewhat of a psychic. However, if I am correct, this is a minor part of the story. I don’t think the incident is enough to name the whole story after, especially if the author wants to convey the nature of the story by the title alone.

Overall, I rate Fleeting Visions 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story and the pace, but I believe the characters really could have been developed a little more. All in all, I would recommend this to those that want a good, quick read and enjoy novels in this genre.

Fleeting Visions
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Terrific review. Sounds like a great book. I liked that you said unnecessary gory details were not included.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jaime! It was pretty interesting overall.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The concept of the book sounds interesting. I can truly see people who like crime books will enjoy this one. It's a shame there wasn't better character development though.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It is too bad, but it was still an enjoyable book. Thanks Amagine.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I like how the story alternates between different points of view, but it's too bad that the characters weren't as developed as they could have been. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

This is a theme based on twists and turns. It highlights some of the vices that society needs to get rid of. A worthy review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Angel MESSI
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Angel MESSI »

Hmmm... Fleeting visions...not a bad read. Loved the view it had in crime.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ZenaLei7 wrote:I like how the story alternates between different points of view, but it's too bad that the characters weren't as developed as they could have been. Great job on the review!
Thanks. The different points of view were very interesting. It was an enjoyable read.

-- 13 May 2017, 07:08 --
Chrys Brobbey wrote:This is a theme based on twists and turns. It highlights some of the vices that society needs to get rid of. A worthy review.
It is definitely a subject that needs more attention. Thanks for stopping by.

-- 13 May 2017, 07:08 --
Angel MESSI wrote:Hmmm... Fleeting visions...not a bad read. Loved the view it had in crime.
You're right. A good book.
—Neil Gaiman
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Fleeting Visions by Rene Natan is a well thought out book. Prostitution and gangland style deaths and gory enough in themselves. But Ms Nathan made sure that just enough gore is included. I would love to read this!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely an intriguing book with some hot topics for our times. I hope if you read it that you do enjoy it!
—Neil Gaiman
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Great and honest review. I thought the title being a minor part of the book was I interesting. This is not my normal reading material but I would give it a try.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I kept hoping that the title meant more than I thought, but nothing else was mentioned. A title is oftentimes the first thing people see. They use it to decide whether or not to continue reading, so it needs to be good. Thanks for stopping by!
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Too bad about the title not really connecting to the story - it is what immediately caught my attention with this book. I think you make some really great points about the lack of character development, especially regarding the character, Jocelyn. I think I would also have a hard time relating to her given the lack of correlation between her actions and inner feelings. Great review! :tiphat:
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! Like others here, I was intrigued by the name, so it's disappointing that it doesn't tie in well with the story. Still, the book sounds interesting.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”