Official Review: The Cursed Man by Keith Rommel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: The Cursed Man by Keith Rommel

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cursed Man" by Keith Rommel.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cursed Man by Keith Rommel is the story of Alister Kunkle. For the last 20 years he has been imprisoned in a mental hospital without seeing another soul, but not against his own will. Alister believes that death itself is obsessed with him and will kill anyone that even talks to him, so to spare people from that fate he has chosen seclusion. That all changes when a psychiatrist by the name of Anna Lee comes to the hospital to try to help him. At first Alister dismisses her and thinks she’ll be dead by the next day like the rest of them, but by some miracle that doesn’t happen.

Anna begins treating Alister and he tells her his life’s story, how his grandmother, father and mother died at almost the same time, how his wife drowned their daughter and then killed herself, how all of the doctors, nurses and police officers who tried to help him met with a quick death. However, Anna presents Alister a different story of his life. She tells him different facts about both his past and present situation. Is that it then? Is Alister just a delusion man in a mental hospital, or is there something more going on and Anna is not who she says she is? Is Anna telling the truth or is she trying to fool him?

At first you are sure that Alister’s account of events is accurate, but by the middle you’re stuck between the two worlds, and unable to tell what’s real and what’s not. Due to that it’s hard to tell the correct genre as you’re reading the book. Is this a horror story about a man plagued by a supernatural entity, or a tragic novel about a mentally ill man, or is it both? I’ll leave it to the reader to discover the right answer, but that middle part was definitely my favorite part of the book.

Another great thing about the book is its portrait of mental illness, and all the guilt and grief that comes with loss. What I liked about it was not just what Alister said about his feelings and experiences, but how it was illustrated through various scenes. It’s hard to describe without giving away spoilers, but you really see into his mind through them. If you like stories that deal with mental illness then this book might be a good fit for you.

The biggest issue I had with the book was the lack of vividness in its more bizarre scenes. The normal scenes are the most memorable, but the weirder ones just left me confused about what exactly was going on there. It was hard for me to visualize what was happening, so I can barely remember them now. This is a big flaw for a book that tries to deal with the supernatural and losing one’s sense of reality.

The one thing that I would say to a potential reader is to not judge the book by the first 3/4 of it, because by the end it vastly improves. As I was reading it, the one word that came to my mind was unrealistic. The story, and the people in it, just seemed strange. It was as if the author had no idea what life was really like in a mental hospital. It’s only at the end of the story that a lot of things finally make sense.

Overall, The Cursed Man an interesting story, but it could have been handled better. Because it only gets good at the end I can’t say that I liked it very much, so I give it 2 out of 4 stars.

The Cursed Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
dickersonljones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickersonljones.html

Post by dickersonljones »

I must say, by the first two paragraphs of this official review I was all but certain that I would be borrowing this book from the library on my next trip. However, based on the last paragraph I am a little hesitant only because I do not usually do too well with books that are written in a way where they only get interesting within the last half or last quater. I feel in order to be a good author and to produce a worthwhile novel, a writer must be able to capture the readers attention and curiosity in a manner that keeps them intrigued from beginning to end.
However, the overall concept and theme of this book sounds extremely interesting and I think that it would most definetly be worth the "slow start" in order to see just where it ends up. I really have a favorable love of books that deal with mental illness and psychology, especially when the author is able to weave those facts through the story in a way that creates a mystery or suspense that keeps you guessing until the very end when there is a huge twist that was cleverly being hinted at the whole time, but never actually realized!
In the end, I think I will surely be looking for this title on my next visit to the library! Despite the warning from the review's ending, I will not be able resist the suspense for myself until I am able to see just what it is that makes this man think that "Death" is out to get everyone that he has anything to do with!
Great review, btw!!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

dickersonljones wrote:Great review, btw!!
Thanks. This was so far the hardest review to do, because how do you describe the book without giving away important things? I think if you're interested in the subject matter you should check it out because a lot of times I really empathized with Alister.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like an interesting premise. Kind of reminds me of a cross between Final Destination and A Beautiful Mind. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I appreciated your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

From the review, it seems to be as mixed up a story as the mental state of the protagonist. But it looks like it offers some insight into mental disorders and hallucinations. It will be a good read and educative, if the author works more on it. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This does seem like it was a difficult review to write. It's too bad that the book was only good at the end. I'm really curious about why everyone was dying around him or if it was just in his mind. I might check it out to satisfy my curiosity. Great review!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The book has a lot of potential. I find any book fascinating when it addresses mental illness and places us in the head of someone who is ill. Unfortunately, it sounds like the author should have left out the supernatural and just kept a little more grounded in reality.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
jerudelosantos
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by jerudelosantos »

:banana-rainbow: I love the cover it is scary and I the summarize of the story is interesting people will love this
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The premise sounds crazy (get it). I don't think that this is my cup of tea though. Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”