Stephen King The Dark Tower series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Stephen King The Dark Tower series

Post by micoleon13 »

I've only read the dark tower series in the last year or so, but wow!! I think it's one of Stephen King's best works. Only he could make a train that terrifying.

Like a lot of good books it's now being made into a movie, while I'm interested to see it, I think that they will have to cut out so much of the story that a lot of what makes it so great will be lost. I think it should be left as a book, what do other people think?
tlandrade
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by tlandrade »

I don't think a book series of this size can be made into a movie. Maybe a mini-series like The Stand. But even then that was only one book. I agree, I think it would lose too much to be worth making it.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

OK, so I have only read the Gunslinger, and really struggled to understand what was happening half the time. Which ultimately has put me off the entire Dark Tower series....Are the other books like that? None of it really made sense...

-- 25 Apr 2017, 14:37 --

I also think with something as big as this book series, it may have been better to make a long-running show so they don't lose the details. Like Outlander, it is extremely popular as a tv show instead of 1 film. Or Under the Dome...which I think they ruined by going WAY off track from the book.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
micoleon13
Currently Reading:

Post by micoleon13 »

I struggled a bit to keep up in the first book, but it gets a lot better as you go on, as it goes into lots more details about the characters.
holliefairy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by holliefairy »

The Dark Tower series is hard to get into it first. The first book starts really slow and was very very hard for me to get through but after that the books just kept going and it's one of the best series he has. I collect Stephen King and my favorite thing about the series is that every single thing he has ever written connects back into the Dark Tower in some way, it's awesome. It's also his magnum opus which is just fun to say without taking into account how much time and dedication and genius is put into the series. I have not read the newest one yet because I'm going to reread the whole series so I'm back into the 'world'
micoleon13
Currently Reading:

Post by micoleon13 »

After seeing the recent trailer for the dark tower, it seems very different from the books, although with very cool scenes. Will be interesting to see what it's like
Unbreakablespines

Post by Unbreakablespines »

To be honest, before the trailer of the movie, I hadnt even heard of this book. :{ but after seeing the trailer it looks boring, to be honest. It's good to hear that the book seems different than the movie.
Fullsunmoon
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fullsunmoon.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs

Post by Fullsunmoon »

I love Stephen King but somehow have read almost all this other works but not this. I've owned the first book for years but haven't gotten into it yet. I'll give it another try!
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I really need to read this series! I love Idris Elba so I hope the adaptation does it justice!
ChristyF
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christyf.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B01LTIORC8

Post by ChristyF »

I loved Stephen King's Dark Tower Series. In my opinion the movie usually ends being nothing like the book. It would be very hard to translate those books into a television series. Something always gets lost in translation. I will probably skip the television and stick with the books.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
ColombianBookWorm
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by ColombianBookWorm »

Vickyoreo86 wrote:OK, so I have only read the Gunslinger, and really struggled to understand what was happening half the time. Which ultimately has put me off the entire Dark Tower series....Are the other books like that? None of it really made sense...

I also think with something as big as this book series, it may have been better to make a long-running show so they don't lose the details. Like Outlander, it is extremely popular as a tv show instead of 1 film. Or Under the Dome...which I think they ruined by going WAY off track from the book.
So, listen. The first book is not that great and very much unsatisfying because it doesn't answer a lot of questions, and it's a bit convoluted. However, I strongly recommend digging deep into your book-loving soul and faith in the second book. We can all agree that some stories take a little longer to get into, and for this series, the first book is just that. I greatly appreciated book numero 2 and am looking forward to reading the rest. tbh a guy on the subway convinced me to read the second one cuz he saw me reading the first one and gave me the same advice.
Nmitchel123_

Post by Nmitchel123_ »

Stephen King has really narrowed down the characters in this book! However it's not the best! But it does keep you wondering what's next, so with that being said! It's doable!
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

There is going to be a mini series after all, but it will not follow the books. It’s centered on Roland’s origin story.

There’s also been a lot of directors interested in re-doing the Stand as a tv series. I read a while back Ben Afflek was interested.
MDuncanReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MDuncanReads »

ColombianBookWorm wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 13:10
Vickyoreo86 wrote:OK, so I have only read the Gunslinger, and really struggled to understand what was happening half the time. Which ultimately has put me off the entire Dark Tower series....Are the other books like that? None of it really made sense...

So, listen. The first book is not that great and very much unsatisfying because it doesn't answer a lot of questions, and it's a bit convoluted. However, I strongly recommend digging deep into your book-loving soul and faith in the second book. We can all agree that some stories take a little longer to get into, and for this series, the first book is just that. I greatly appreciated book numero 2 and am looking forward to reading the rest. tbh a guy on the subway convinced me to read the second one cuz he saw me reading the first one and gave me the same advice.
Reading "The Stand" first is really helpful-- I couldn't figure out what was going on in The Gunslinger, and my friend who is really into King gave me a whole reading list of his titles that have threads that continue in The Dark Tower. It really does help.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”