Official Review: Duty & Betrayal by Toby Oliver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Official Review: Duty & Betrayal by Toby Oliver

Post by michelonline29 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Duty & Betrayal" by Toby Oliver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Duty and Betrayal: The SS Brotherhood and the NASA connection is a work of fiction by Toby Oliver. It was released on November 24, 2016, with 261 standard pages. Duty and Betrayal is a story of the people who cannot move on from their past. The nightmare of their past enables them to seek revenge against the person who was accountable for the death of their special someone.

Spencer Hall is a director general of the M15 along with his colleagues Jed Carter and Jim Jarvis and his friend Jack Stein who is a CIA agent. Spencer Hall cannot move on with his past where his brother Jamie Hall was murdered. He wants to seek revenge on the person who killed his brother which is Helmut Schneider. His plan to avenge the death of his brother was not easy. He asked helped from his friends and colleagues, especially to Joyce Leader whom he asked to be their undercover to Herr Frenzel since Herr Frenzel has a connection with their top target. Helmut Schneider with the help of Bernard Zimmerman and Herr Frenzel keeps his life safe from the person who wants him to be arrested.

What I like most about the story is the personality of Joyce Leader who is a double agent in both Britain and Germany. She is a tough and brave woman in dealing with their enemies. During her capture, she never shows fear and weakness to their enemies. What I dislike about the story is the character of Helmut Schneider who has a selfish personality and a psychopath.

There are some errors that I found in the book. First is the improper use of punctuation marks. Second is that some sentences in the book have a missing word or phrase which gives confusion. Lastly, the use of abbreviations without stating the meaning which I think readers cannot understand, including me. At first, I don’t understand the role of each character in the story since it has numerous characters, but while I am going through the story I slowly understood their connection to the main characters.

Although there are some errors in the story, the series of events in the story were consistently presented. I gave Duty and Betrayal: The SS Brotherhood and the NASA connection a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to everybody especially to readers who are fond of reading work of fiction which has full of actions.

Duty & Betrayal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like michelonline29's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Thanks for the informative review. Stories with female main characters excite and motivate me to keep going. Women have the right to draw their map in the male dominated world.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Joyce Leader sounds like the kind of character that I want to read about! The story seems interesting especially since it is in the concept of revenge. It sounds like readers can expect an emotional and yet action packed read!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an intense and exciting story. I'll have too look into it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Betrayal stretches back to the time of Judas. Vengeance for the death of one's brother seem a good theme for a story. Helmut Schneider, being the murderer, must indeed have a selfish personality. I believe all murderers are that way, for them to be able to kill. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
michelonline29
Currently Reading:

Post by michelonline29 »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Thanks for the informative review. Stories with female main characters excite and motivate me to keep going. Women have the right to draw their map in the male dominated world.
Thank you. You may also try to read this book soon :)
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Joyce Leader seems like a very strong character. Living as a double agent is very dangerous, but she made it. In one of the movies I saw before, they said women make the best double agents.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
michelonline29
Currently Reading:

Post by michelonline29 »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like an intense and exciting story. I'll have too look into it. Thanks for the review.
Probably. Take a sample soon :)

-- 16 Apr 2017, 20:54 --
Amagine wrote:Joyce Leader sounds like the kind of character that I want to read about! The story seems interesting especially since it is in the concept of revenge. It sounds like readers can expect an emotional and yet action packed read!

Great Review! ?
Thank you. You should also give this book a try :)

-- 16 Apr 2017, 20:57 --
Chrys Brobbey wrote:Betrayal stretches back to the time of Judas. Vengeance for the death of one's brother seem a good theme for a story. Helmut Schneider, being the murderer, must indeed have a selfish personality. I believe all murderers are that way, for them to be able to kill. Thanks for a good review.
Thank you. You should also give this book a try :)

-- 16 Apr 2017, 21:00 --
ellieonline03 wrote:Joyce Leader seems like a very strong character. Living as a double agent is very dangerous, but she made it. In one of the movies I saw before, they said women make the best double agents.
You should also give this book a try to know more about the character of Joyce Leader. :)
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

I admire the character of Joyce Leader. She is a tough and brave woman who serve a double agent in both Britain and Germany. Great review! :)
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
michelonline29
Currently Reading:

Post by michelonline29 »

Moniquejm wrote:I admire the character of Joyce Leader. She is a tough and brave woman who serve a double agent in both Britain and Germany. Great review! :)
Thank you. Joyce Leader is a good example for women.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”