Review by Gingerbo0ks -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Gingerbo0ks -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak starts with broken Reverend, Arthur as it draws you in with his interesting character, and we the reader are thrown into the action from the beginning with an encounter with a demon in the first part. This demon has taken control of Abigail – Arthur’s adopted daughter of sorts. The story then follows Abigail as she hopes to find out what happened to Arthur after he had saved her, but she is unable to get the answers she craves as she is kept under the watchful and suspicious eye of “The Council”. Whilst on an assignment she crosses paths with Haatim. Haatim is a character who is losing his faith in God after the tragic passing of his sister. As he is swept along into Abigail’s world and their stories entwine, there is the growing suggestion that there is more than meets the eye and one of our protagonists may be holding something back. About halfway into the book we reach the title town of the book; Raven’s Peak, where it falls on Abigail and Haatim to investigate the suspicious happenings there in a tense race against time.

One of the things I liked most was the way we were introduced to the town of Raven’s Peak by way of an interlude. I welcomed this as I thought it was clever, creepy and successful at drawing me back into the book when I felt myself getting a bit lost in the fast pace of the plot. As well as the interlude I also liked the prologue as it was a strong introduction as the reader is immediately interested in Arthur and how he came to be where he is. There were also some tensely written scenes in the last half of Raven’s Peak that added to the feel of threat in the book.

Personally, to mention something I disliked, it would be that I thought some fight scenes in Raven’s Peak were too long for me. I liked the ending of the book, with a turning point for one of the main characters, and feel the end sequence was a very good set up for the sequel. However some readers may prefer a more satisfying ending with more resolution to the discoveries uncovered.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the fact it started well and pulled me in, but I found my attention waning slightly in the middle and felt like I needed to know more about the two main characters in the beginning in order to connect with them. There were a couple of grammatical errors, e.g.; the use of “he” instead of “she” but these were only minor.

I would recommend this book those fond of the crime and mystery genre, but also to those that like stories with a supernatural edge. The themes include the idea of faith and "doing the right thing" so for that reason will also appeal to those who like stories about demons (both the physical and metaphorical).

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gingerbo0ks's review? Post a comment saying so!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice review. I also enjoyed this book. It was interesting how the author brought everything together. Thanks for your point of view on this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks kandscreeley :) glad you enjoyed the book too. I'm thinking of trying the sequel soon because it still seems popular.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I started reading this novel but didn't complete it as I lost interest . But your review is admirable
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Sorry to hear it wasn't for you Darakhshan Nazir, but thank you for stopping by my review :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”