Official Review: The Hacker Chronicles by Patrick Oster

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Hacker Chronicles by Patrick Oster

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hacker Chronicles" by Patrick Oster.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hacker Chronicles is an exciting cyber thriller novel written by Patrick Oster.

It is Aloysius Wachter’s first night in his new job as a glorified night watchman in Organization for Emergency Management and Communication watching 10,000 police, community and business surveillance cameras. He sees a pretty girl resembling his ex-girlfriend fleeing what turns out to be a murder scene. For some reasons, Aloysius, also known as Vic, feels a great need to help and save the girl. With his special skill as a hacker and with the help of his two friends, a Russian and a Chinese who are even better hackers than he is, Vic becomes an amateur detective and a crime buster.

This is not just an exciting cyber thriller. It is also an amusing, entertaining and a very informative book. Told in a lively, conversational and realistic tone in the first person perspective of a twenty five year old millennial gamer, the book offers tips or more like gives the readers an idea how easily an account is hacked. It reveals how vulnerable a person is online especially those who need to share everything and post all about themselves on social media.

What I like most about the book is the concept of Vic’s character. He is a school dropout and an unambitious guy with an unfinished graphic novel and still depends on his mother for allowance, on the outside, but a skillful hacker, with even more skillful hacker-friends, who can find an Agrentine who staged her own death, on the inside. Even his manner of talking, funny and a little sarcastic, is quite appealing while his way of explaining online procedures and computer jargons is simplified and apparently meant for laymen.

Descriptions of settings and characters are clear and can be easily visualized while dialogues are informal and realistic. Just like Vic, all the other characters are well-developed and the one I can relate to the most is his mother. Reference to popular celebrities like Chow Yun Fat, Jason Statham and Lady Gaga and popular movies like ‘Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon’ and video games like ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ makes the book charming and heartwarming probably due to familiarity.

However, though the pacing of the novel is fairly steady, there is some kind of a period of sluggishness and inactivity between the first and the last case which gives the book a feeling of inconsistency. Moreover, some information regarding the internet, hacking and other online activities can be overwhelming to some readers especially the older ones. Furthermore, there are several noticeable errors like missing words but mostly typos (like that instead of than and here instead of her).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is very interesting, amusing, entertaining and informative. I recommend it to cyber thriller fans especially those who are fascinated with computer hacking. Readers who are not into social media and other online activities may have difficulty keeping up with the terminologies in this book but are not discouraged to have a go at it.

The Hacker Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like an interesting book. I'm surprised with as prevalent as this is, there aren't more novels out there about cyber crimes. I might have to look into this one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. The book sounds interesting with a trendy topic. Like Kandscreeley, I am surprised there are not more cyber-themed novels there. Glad you enjoyed the story despite the noticeable errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote:This does sound like an interesting book. I'm surprised with as prevalent as this is, there aren't more novels out there about cyber crimes. I might have to look into this one. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

-- 03 Apr 2017, 09:16 --
bookowlie wrote:Great review. The book sounds interesting with a trendy topic. Like Kandscreeley, I am surprised there are not more cyber-themed novels there. Glad you enjoyed the story despite the noticeable errors.
Now that you two mentioned it, yes, I noticed as well that there are too few cyber-themed novels out there :) Or maybe they are being written as we are speak :) Yes, I enjoyed it a lot and I believe other readers will enjoy it as well.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Glorification of drop outs who became rich or who became an accidental hero is now a trend. What is good about this story is the big help brought by hacking. In the military, they call it white hacking. I strongly recommend this book.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Glorification of drop outs who became rich or who became an accidental hero is now a trend. What is good about this story is the big help brought by hacking. In the military, they call it white hacking. I strongly recommend this book.
I think that's thanks to Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg :) Anyways, this is a very interesting book and I hope other people will give it a chance and read it.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It sounds like a very intriguing story line and definitely does not sound like a boring read. Thanks for the nice review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I loved your review especially about the character of Vic. he sounds very interesting and funny. I can easily imagine him as a real person and the pop culture references are great too. I hope to read this book because I love crime novels. I am trying to figure out which one to read next.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This book sounds highly entertaining, and not to mention a little scary (I deliberately try not to think about how easy it could be for someone to hack into my various online accounts!) For some reason, I could picture a book like this being made into a movie. Thanks for the detailed review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

rssllue wrote:It sounds like a very intriguing story line and definitely does not sound like a boring read. Thanks for the nice review!
You're welcome. It's very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot.

-- 06 Apr 2017, 19:03 --
Katherine Smith wrote:I loved your review especially about the character of Vic. he sounds very interesting and funny. I can easily imagine him as a real person and the pop culture references are great too. I hope to read this book because I love crime novels. I am trying to figure out which one to read next.
I hope you get the chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did :) I think that's always a problem, which book to read next :D

-- 06 Apr 2017, 19:04 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:This book sounds highly entertaining, and not to mention a little scary (I deliberately try not to think about how easy it could be for someone to hack into my various online accounts!) For some reason, I could picture a book like this being made into a movie. Thanks for the detailed review!
That is so true, about how easy for skillful people to hack into our accounts.
JAtoms
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by JAtoms »

I always like hacking thrillers, this book must be in my shelf
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

JAtoms wrote:I always like hacking thrillers, this book must be in my shelf