Official Review: Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Official Review: Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)

Post by David Nash »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)" by R. Scott Mackey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4) by R. Scott Mackey and published by Big Hound Publishing is a great introduction to a new mystery series and a new mystery writer. In the series, you see the character’s growth as a detective. In addition, the author provides a steady improvement in the complexity of the tales.

The first three books should be classed as thrillers rather than as mysteries. From an early point in the story the reader will likely have a good idea who the murderer is. The detective, Ray Courage, is usually not too far behind your own conclusions. As a result, Ray is more often chasing proof rather than trying to determine who the killer is. However, in each successive story the plots become more intricate. Characters become more identifiable, and conflict outcomes become less predictable. By the fourth book, I was working hard solve the mystery, and I found the ending satisfying.

Mackey’s engaging writing style had me forgetting time. I enjoyed reading the stories from the opening lines. Occasionally, when forced to stop reading, I felt myself compelled to continue. I wanted to resume – to find out what would happen next – the mark of any great read.

Each story takes the main character, Ray Courage, further into the dark world of the private investigator. He loses friends. He makes enemies. He faces blackmail, betrayal, and crimes of passion, greed, and revenge. For Ray, a former college professor, the journey is not linear, and not pleasant.

The editing, though not perfect, is well done. In a series that runs over 900 pages, I only found a few minor errors - not enough to detract or distract from the stories.

I think readers will enjoy is Ray’s deliberations as he tries to solve the crimes. He evolves from seeing simple solutions in earlier novels to more complex motivations as the series progresses and his choices do not always yield perfect results.

Taken as a whole, I give the series a 4 out of 4 stars. However, if you only read the early works you may be disappointed, as the early crimes may prove too simple for sophisticated mystery readers. However, I would encourage you to read them all to see the growth of an interesting character and for the great writing style. I look forward to reading more by the author and I believe you will too.

Ray Courage Mystery Series Boxed Set (1-4)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like David Nash's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. It's not extremely often any more that I find a book that compels me to keep reading. This sounds like it does just that! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I sometimes feel a little lost when it comes to choosing a new mystery series, but this one sounds like it might be nice to try out!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

I have enjoyed this series and look forward to book 5.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”