Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Volunteer Reviews

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review by James Craft -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.

Review by James Craft -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post Number:#1 by James Craft
» 25 Mar 2017, 14:23

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by James Craft
Share This Review

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole is an urban fantasy and horror novel written in the vein of authors like Jim Butcher, though with a unique and creative style that is wholly the author’s own. It centers around two main characters, Abigail and Haatim, who are vastly different. Abigail is a practiced demon Hunter with a mysterious past, and Haatim is a recent college graduate who knows nothing about the demons or other creatures she is fighting in this underground war.

Their paths collide when Haatim is targeted by a dangerous cult and Abigail is forced to rescue him. It isn’t immediately clear why Haatim was targeted, but we quickly learn that there is more going on than we might have originally thought. They end up in the town of Raven’s Peak dealing with a huge threat that centers around spreading insanity and evil and have to find a way to put a stop to it.

I really liked that the characters were diverse and different from what we might expect in this genre. The story opens with a different character who seems to be important to this world named Arthur, and even he feels well-crafted and contributes a lot to world building. The author does an amazing job of bringing the world to life and adding in a mix of humor, horror, and action that kept me turning pages from beginning to end.

There were small problems with the book: in particur I would have liked to have spent more time in the town that this book is named after. It was a really interesting place and had some cool twists, but I just would have liked for there to have been more backstory. I also would have liked to see a little bit more of Arthur, because it feels like he was important but then he sort of disappeared. I’m hoping he comes back in later volumes and we get to see more about him.

I think my favorite parts of the story were the action scenes. The author does an amazing job of writing fight scenes and keeping those pages turn, and he is at his best when he is writing action. The scene at the end, in particular, kept me engrossed. I also liked the way he set up various scenes, and there are a few scarier scenes that sent chills up my spine.

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole book easily earns a 4 out of 4-star rating from me and I loved every second of it. There are elements here that might not be everyone, but it never gets too gratuitous of graphic. The story fits into a lot of genres, but the author manages to make it also completely unique and I can’t wait to read more from this author.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
James Craft

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Review by James Craft -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 26 Mar 2017, 12:36

Sounds interesting. I've just started reading this as its book of the month in April. So far it's gripping. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Sylvio: Past and Present" by R. E. Beebe
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 39%

Post Number:#3 by James Craft
» 29 Mar 2017, 14:12

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds interesting. I've just started reading this as its book of the month in April. So far it's gripping. Thanks for the review.

I really loved reading it and I hope you enjoy it as much! Thanks for stopping by!
James Craft

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Kateen
» 04 Apr 2017, 11:56

Great review! I want to check this book out really bad! Already bought a copy to start reading!
Kateen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4 books

Post Number:#5 by James Craft
» 05 Apr 2017, 08:22

Kateen wrote:Great review! I want to check this book out really bad! Already bought a copy to start reading!

Awesome, I hope you enjoy reading it! This one is incredible and one of the best ones I've read in a while!
James Craft

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page