Official Review: Flight TG-101 to nowhere by Subroto Sinha

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Flight TG-101 to nowhere by Subroto Sinha

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flight TG-101 to nowhere" by Subroto Sinha.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The extent to which our governments will go in order to protect our nations is the overarching theme in Flight TG-101 to Nowhere, by Subroto Sinha, an interesting read that fits snugly in the Crime/Thriller category.

The CIA catches wind of an international collaboration by Russian and Chinese computer engineers, backed by their respective governments, to develop and deploy a deadly program against the U.S. and their allies. This program will not only bypass all existing security, but also aims to disrupt the American power grid, infrastructure, and electrical backbone of the Nation. Having stumbled upon this plot, the CIA quickly takes charge of the situation and sets up an extremely covert operation, codename “DRAGON”, which will ensure that this program could never be released on U.S. assets.

In order to ensure that the Chinese and Russian engineers neither finish their program, nor have the opportunity to deploy it, Operation DRAGON sends a covert team led by a United States Air Force fighter ace, to apprehend these individuals in-transit between Bangkok and London. This team takes control of the Boeing-777 flight TG-101, and re-routes all of the passengers, including the suspected terrorists, through an isolated island in the Indian Ocean.

This is a story of daring, and highly contentious, acts performed by the CIA and other U.S. agencies in order to protect their sovereign soil. It is a tale of subterfuge, balance of power, and how any actions on the international battlefield can be turned back against yourself in a heartbeat.

I definitely enjoyed the idea behind this story. The premise of covert operations being conducted without the knowledge, acknowledgement, or even the approvals of the American people definitely hit home in this time of political distrust. Stories like this make me wonder what sort of operations have been conducted underneath our very noses, whose methods would simply make our skin crawl. What I enjoyed most about this book is the way it can blur the lines between operations done in the name of patriotism and those which can be morally questionable. I’m sure decisions like these are made every day, but are likely not made public. Similarly, without giving a plot-point away, I like how roles of National “victims” and “attackers” can be reversed quite quickly. This book would best be enjoyed by those that are partial to conspiracy theories, enjoy a quick military thriller, or like a tale which deals with warfare in the modern age.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, this book was not very well written. First off, there were many publishing, grammatical, and formatting errors throughout the book. For example, when footnotes or other numbers were used, spaces were often missing. The language used throughout the book, albeit technically correct, sounded forced and awkward most of the time. It sounded as if the author was translating directly from another language and this consequently meant that the flow of the book was severely impeded. A quick and simple example of this can be seen in the following sentence: “We used our ‘plan 2’ to get him involved with drugs and got him arrested.” The dialogue between the characters themselves was just as awkward and frankly unrealistic. Finally, even though I found the idea of the story very interesting, there was a lot to be desired with respect to realism. For example, there are scenes of interrogation in this book where the interrogator simply enters the room, quickly asks a couple of questions to trip up the individual, and then exits victorious as if it had been an arduous endeavour. These scenes were honestly too simple and took away from the realism of the book. What I disliked the most was that I feel that I was let down. I was very interested in the story behind this book I really wanted it to be a well-written piece of fiction, but it didn’t come through for me. If you are frustrated by books that are technically imperfect or have issues with the flow and language, this book is definitely not for you.

For many of the reasons stated about, I have given Flight TG-101 to Nowhere 2 out of 4 stars. Due to the many editorial errors and the awkward flow of the language, I could not justify a higher rating. The only reason why this book hasn’t been rated with only one star is that I see plenty of potential in the story. Some readers may still enjoy this story as is, and with some pertinent editing and language/dialogue review, it could definitely have a fighting chance in its genre.

Flight TG-101 to nowhere
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow - too bad about the errors and such. This sounds like a fantastic book otherwise! Reminds me a bit of Mission Impossible type plots. Thanks for the review :)
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Wow - too bad about the errors and such. This sounds like a fantastic book otherwise! Reminds me a bit of Mission Impossible type plots. Thanks for the review :)
It was a fun read and likely still can be with a bit more editing. I was thinking the same sort of thing w.r.t mission impossible missions. It also had a bit of a "Red Dawn" feel to it (but cyber related instead).
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like it could be an intriguing read, but because of the errors, falls short. I don't think I'll be reading this one unless another round of editing is done. Thanks for the review though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like it could be an intriguing read, but because of the errors, falls short. I don't think I'll be reading this one unless another round of editing is done. Thanks for the review though!
Unfortunately I think that is probably the best bet here and I sincerely do hope that the author/publisher go through a second round. It does have potential.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Hopefully your review will help the author clean it up and develop a better second edition!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

CatInTheHat wrote:Hopefully your review will help the author clean it up and develop a better second edition!
I agree, I'm sure that with a little bit more effort this book could be quite good.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”