Official Review: Banished Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Banished Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Banished Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the third installment of the Threads series, Kaylin McFarren brings together a work that will keep readers at the edge of their seats and wanting more. Banished Threads is an enticing tale that is categorized in the Crime and Mystery genres.

Chase Cohen wants nothing more than to prove his worthiness to his love, Rachel Lyons. Rachel desires to open her heart to Chase, but wants the approval of her uncle, Paul Lyons.

The newly engaged couple attend a formal celebration at Paul’s Cumberforge Manor when they arrive at Bellwood, England. However, when the very expensive Morris Graves’s paintings are stolen from Paul’s gallery, suspicion automatically is placed on his wife’s missing granddaughter, Sloan. While Chase tries to clear Sloan’s name, hidden secrets surface, trust is lost, and the innocence of loved ones are questioned.

Right from the beginning, McFarren had me hooked. Though I have not read the previous two books in this series, the author brings enough information here in order to make this read a standalone. I easily flew through Banished Threads in two days and enjoyed every minute of it.

Told in the third-person omniscient point of view, the reader is the one that knows all and is left trying to piece everything together. The writing is flawless and smooth; the characters are well-developed; the plot is full of so many twists and turns that you think there can’t be more, but there is; and the overall presentation is wonderfully done.

Though there is definitely murder and suspense here, there is also the complicated relationship between Chase and Rachel. The two clearly love each other, but when Chase ends up leaving her in a previous book, she is left with uncertainty. The author does an impeccable job in displaying both of their insecurities, love, and hopefulness. I grew to love them and was rooting for the two the entire time.

McFarren can certainly tell a story and even though the closing of this book is well-rounded, she cleverly leaves just enough new information to leave the reader wanting more. Themes of love, trust, loyalty, and family are weaved in the story effortlessly and smoothly.

I cannot say enough of how much I enjoyed this book. It goes without saying, but I happily give this read a 4 out of 4 stars rating and recommend it to those who enjoy a well-written mystery novel with some romance.

Banished Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
dbrooks8109
Currently Reading: The Buried Pyramid
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbrooks8109.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbrooks8109 »

Awesome review! I am almost done with this book and like you have not read the first two books. I agree wholeheartedly with your entire review, this book has me on the edge of my seat and I am having a hard time putting it down!
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, dbrooks8109! I appreciate your kind words and thoughts! I absolutely loved this read, and I'm glad you are enjoying it as well. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Wow. This seems like a really great read. This book is going to be earning a place in my To Read Shelf. The review is also really well written.
Congratulations to the author on getting the highest possible rating!?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Wasif Ahmed! It was one of those reads and that you would sit for a while and before you realize, you're already several chapters in from where you had started. I can't wait to read more of Kaylin McFarren's other works.

When you get the chance to read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)
Heidi

The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Lovely review. You made it sound so good that i have to read this book. The thriller looks very enticing from your review
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, The Researcher, for your kind words and thoughts. It was very enticing. :)
Heidi

Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

Great review! This sounds like you really enjoyed it and want to read more from the author. Usually I don't like to jump into a series before reading the first book, but it sounds like that wasn't necessary in this case.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also like to start series from the start. I"m glad you enjoyed the book. I like books where " the reader is the one that knows all and is left trying to piece everything together". Thank you on the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Shelle wrote:Great review! This sounds like you really enjoyed it and want to read more from the author. Usually I don't like to jump into a series before reading the first book, but it sounds like that wasn't necessary in this case.
Thank you, Shelle! I typically start from the beginning as well, but I heard so many good things about this author and read it could be read as a standalone, that I took that chance. And I'm happy that I did. :)
Heidi

Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Wow. This seems like a really great read. This book is going to be earning a place in my To Read Shelf. The review is also really well written.
You are Welcome @hsimone. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:I also like to start series from the start. I"m glad you enjoyed the book. I like books where " the reader is the one that knows all and is left trying to piece everything together". Thank you on the great review!
Thank you, gali! I love when the reader is the one to put things together, too. I kind of want to go back and read her previous books in the series because I am very curious about Rachel and Chase's relationship. We'll see. Thank you for your thoughts!

-- 12 Feb 2017, 11:37 --
Wasif Ahmed wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:Wow. This seems like a really great read. This book is going to be earning a place in my To Read Shelf. The review is also really well written.
You are Welcome @hsimone. ?
:D
Heidi

greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a very good book. Awesome that the author wraps up the ending nicely while also making you want more!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

It seems like a great book to read. It's strange how the Morris Graves painting disappeared during a dinner party. This collection was priceless. Rachel and Chase were also guests at this particular party. Chase is the nephew of the owner of the paintings Paul Lyons. The granddaughter is the likely suspect. However you would have to read the book to find out the whole story.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a very satisfying story! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this book despite it being the third installment of the series (that says a lot about the author's writing abilities). Great review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”