Official Review: Higgins Hotel by Carla Coffman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Higgins Hotel by Carla Coffman

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm always interested in stories with a whole bunch of characters in it. Like say, Carla Coffman's "Higgins Hotel" for instance. In any hotel, what do you get? You get a whole bunch of people with their own sets of work-related and emotional incommodes. Coffman's book doesn't take us to meet people that move in and out of a single hotel, however. From a retired journalist to a real estate agent, Coffman introduces readers to an entire cast while the mystery behind a bomb explosion is being investigated.

The explosion in question took place in a bank. While it gets investigated by the FBI and becomes a constant topic of discussion for the inhabitants of Clarksville, a real estate agent named Cindy seems to be on quite a role as she closes contract after contract. The owner of the Hotel is a man named Jack, an honest man to some who is constantly being investigated by the authorities. In this town of idle gossip, a killer is about to emerge. Nobody would believe this killer to be one even if this killer held up a big sign saying so.

Unlike most books, there is no one character that can be called the protagonist. Each chapter has us jumping into the comings and goings of an entirely different character. The author might give you a glimpse of what Jack has been up to while one Agent Taylor has been busy pealing back the layers of the mystery behind the explosion at the bank. She might show us how far Cindy's romantic relationship with an individual who just so happens to also be on Taylor's radar, is going.

This is a well-handled story of a wide variety of people navigating their own problems while simply keeping tabs on the events that happen in their town. Through a character named Frank, I gleaned some coveted information about Clarksville. The other characters don't think or talk about this town much. Anyone who likes a mystery novel which involves characters that are as real as everyone out there in the real world will find this work by author Carla Coffman a delight to read.

In the first chapter I've already encountered a few sentences in much need of commas. The wide cache of characters to follow makes it difficult to connect with any particular character, though the realistic personalities is what made this book multi-layered and engaging. The truth behind the explosion is mainly a topic of discussion to many characters. I would have liked to follow Agent Taylor throughout the book because his appearance in this book was a bit brief to me.

Though it involves a couple of mysteries, I can't categorize this novel as a mystery though as it leans more towards being realistic drama. If I could recommend it to any specific type of person, I'd recommend it to the reader who likes reading stories about seemingly regular folk who turn out to be anything but. The typographical errors were plentiful and the author focused on a bit too much dialogue to move her story along. I rate it 3 out of 4.

Higgins Hotel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cee-Jay Aurinko's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like an interesting book. I'm honestly not sure whether I'd enjoy reading from so many perspectives or not. I do like characters that are more than they appear to be. Great job on the review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I do enjoy realistic drama sometimes. And seemingly "regular people" characters. Too many characters can be difficult to follow but sometimes it works. Just depends on the story. I appreciate your honesty about some of the issues with the story. Not sure this one would be my cup of tea.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jessica Samuelsen
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jessica Samuelsen »

I like your point about it being a realistic drama. I wouldn't have made that conclusion. It sounds like an interesting book with all the characters. It's too bad the author relied on dialogue to move the story. That doesn't work. Great review!
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a very intriguing mystery. I don't normally like character hopping like this, but in this type of novel, I understand why the author did it. It adds to the mystery. :) Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”