Official Review: A Touch of Homicide by Peter S. Fischer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carolynn
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Official Review: A Touch of Homicide by Peter S. Fischer

Post by Carolynn »

I am looking forward to reading the entire series of Hollywood Mysteries after reading the sample from "A Touch of Homicide." I LIKE cozy mysteries, and many other kinds of mysteries, as well. It's nice to know there are at least 12 in the series, plus several other things by Peter S. Fischer I really enjoy the brushes with Hollywood stars and seeming involvement with the glitterati of the day. The sample didn't get into the murder area, so I can't judge how that will be handled, but I am sure it will be handled well. The dialogue in the sample flowed fairly smoothly, so I believe the rest of the book will be just as well written. My Kindle Unlimited is going to seem like it has a revolving door installed on it! I recommend this series to any fan of cozy mysteries and '50s Hollywood in particular. And I think this book will probably rate 4 stars out of 4, even if it is a little on the short side. Having Orson Welles as your detective partner has GOT to raise the rating of any story!
josefina1110
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Voice of Creation

Post by josefina1110 »

Thanks for the great review. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of a murder mystery genre. Congratulations to the author for BOTD.
Elizabeth A
Currently Reading: The Doom Murders
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-a.html
Reading Device: Ipad

Post by Elizabeth A »

A Touch of Homicide by Peter S. Fischer

I am not big into murder mysteries, but I found that I could not put it down. I love the hollywood aspect and it has good humor. I am not going to say any spoilers because you need to read it for yourself.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

A mystery set in old hollywood time -- sounds like my kinda book :) Great job on the review. Kudos!
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Wow! This sounds like a great read. Especially since this is 12th part of the series, I am glad that it can be read as a stand alone. Reading your review, I will be sure to check out not just this, but the others in the series also.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The 1950's Hollywood setting sounds interesting, though historical isn't normally to my taste.

Thank you for the review :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Pat Current
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pat-current.html

Post by Pat Current »

Definitely a great light read. Felt like like I was reliving the 1950s over again. It was like sitting in front of my family black and white television watching Raymond Burr as written by Agatha Chrisy

-- 24 Feb 2017, 02:16 --

Definitely a great light read. Felt like like I was reliving the 1950s over again. It was like sitting in front of my family black and white television watching Raymond Burr as written by Agatha Christy.
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

Despite you're very well written review and the free sample I read, I found it a little hard to get interested in A Touch of Homicide. It certainly has a tone and aesthetic to it that many would be drawn to, like you said in your review, but apparently I am not one of those people. It's not because of it's lack of thrill or suspense, but more so because of its lack of general intrigue. A mystery does not have to be entirely thrilling or suspenseful for me to enjoy it, as many murder mystery stories are quaint and subtle. However, I do need to have intrigue in the plot, setting, and characters, which I did not have entirely in what I read.

Like you said in your review, film buffs would probably love this book. Going based off of that, I think that the overall nature of this book definitely has a niche that not everybody would fall into. While it is probably an enjoyable enough book for most to read, I think that people who like film, more easy going mystery stories, and the overall aesthetic that is very prominent in this book would be the best fit for this book.

Sure, aside from some editing mistakes I noticed in the sample, the book was really well written and clearly was going for a style that was common for mystery books, especially set in the time of this story. However, it just was not for me. But that does not make it bad, just an ill fit. Plus, I was not very drawn to the lead character. I don't think that a lead character has to be liked for the story to be good, but they do have to be interesting enough to make me want to read more, which I don't think this lead character was.

But then again, I only read the sample. However, even short samples usually do really well to establish the total feeling of the book.

Again, awesome review!

:tiphat:
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I like a god book with the subject of Hollywood, so A Touch of Homicide by Peter S. Fischer is going to be a great book to read. I like these style books this season and near the fourth of July. Thanks for the vivid review.
Clinton
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinton.html

Post by Clinton »

the mistery in it is so nice,,i really like the book
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

If it makes me keep guessing then it is one i want to read. :)
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

good book nice toread
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Hollywood sounds like a place with enough wealth, mind-altering substances, scandal, and ambition to make for a very interesting setting for a mystery. I've seen it done well, but it's not usually one I enjoy. I'm happy to hear that the book can stand alone even though it's the 12th in the series. I doubt that this is a book for me, but thanks for an informative review that helps me find that determination!
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

i like the mixture of suspence in the begginig
L Bucher
Currently Reading: King's Cage
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-bucher.html

Post by L Bucher »

Ooo, a murder/mystery story! I love the fact that it's set an in old Hollywood setting. Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”