Official Review: Visions Through a Glass, Darkly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Visions Through a Glass, Darkly

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Visions Through a Glass, Darkly" by David I. Aboulafia.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who truly controls our actions? Is it us or is there some other being that does? In David I. Aboulafia’s Visions Through a Glass, Darkly, the reader follows Richard Goodman as he tries to solve a mystery that can result to his untimely death.

Richard works as a caregiver for a school that specializes in watchmaking. The students who are in training have a variety of handicaps, and it is the school’s job to assist these students in learning a skill that can be useful for the future. Richard has always possessed an extraordinary sensory skill that keeps him frightened most times, but he tries to live life as best he can. That is until one day as Richard visits Coney Island with his girlfriend, he obtains a most disturbing new ability and terrifying news. He is told that he has two days, eighteen hours, and fifty-eight minutes left to live…

It was extremely easy to dive into this story. The protagonist, Richard, is very likable. I truly enjoy his interactions with the students at The Waterman School of Watchmaking; he clearly has a good rapport with everyone. I love the way the author provides flashbacks of Richard’s youth to fill in the holes as to why this man is recluse in his personal life. In general, the story is mostly captivating and I found myself trying to piece the clues together in identifying the murderer.

Although, there were some parts that brought my enjoyment down a bit. Firstly, there were a fair number of errors. For instance, missing punctuation, a word here or there oddly placed, and even a misspelling of a character’s name (‘Bobbie’ versus ‘Bobby’). Secondly, I felt the dropping new characters into the book was distracting and did not really add to the story. At times, the reader is giving a couple of pages of background information to one character that really diverts from the main storyline and doesn’t come up again. Lastly, the animal cruelty in this book was too much for me. Though, the cruelty is not explicitly described while the action is taking place, the aftermath is. Along with this, I found some of the bloody scenes too much.

Keeping all this in mind, I would rate this read a 3 out of 4 stars. The beginning was captivating, but the story started to lose its initial pull towards the middle of the book. However, I felt the tie-in with an unseen being added an interesting element to the plot. I would recommend this read to adults who enjoy a murder mystery with some horror.

Visions Through a Glass, Darkly
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Once again, you've given us another wonderful review! This book seems like it has potential, but I must admit that I am turned off by the high number of errors and the animal cruelty! I'll probably pass on this one.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, LivreAmour217, for your kind words! I completely understand. I was cringing the entire time when the author described the outcome of the animal cruelty. Way too much detail!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The animal cruelty would be too much for me, too. The central plot and main character sound interesting, but I don't think this book is my cup of tea due to the cruelty.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie! Completely understandable. To be honest, I turned my head away from the book while reading those parts a couple of times. It was too much and a bit of a surprise...not a very good one for sure. But, like you said the central plot and main character are interesting, so at least that's a positive of this book.
Heidi

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:Thank you, bookowlie! Completely understandable. To be honest, I turned my head away from the book while reading those parts a couple of times. It was too much and a bit of a surprise...not a very good one for sure. But, like you said the central plot and main character are interesting, so at least that's a positive of this book.
You did a great job of being objective when deciding on the rating.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Thank you for the excellent review, hsimone. At first, I was intrigued with your mention of hidden forces governing the protagonist's life - what potential a story like that could have! But, alas ... just a murder mystery. Animal cruelty is a complete turn-off for me.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you, bookowlie! Completely understandable. To be honest, I turned my head away from the book while reading those parts a couple of times. It was too much and a bit of a surprise...not a very good one for sure. But, like you said the central plot and main character are interesting, so at least that's a positive of this book.
You did a great job of being objective when deciding on the rating.
Thank you, bookowlie! :)

-- 09 Feb 2017, 18:46 --
DennisK wrote:Thank you for the excellent review, hsimone. At first, I was intrigued with your mention of hidden forces governing the protagonist's life - what potential a story like that could have! But, alas ... just a murder mystery. Animal cruelty is a complete turn-off for me.
Thank you, DennisK! Without giving too much away - the author does explore that hidden force some, but it didn't have a real closure at the end, so you're right. It did seem like another murder mystery.
Heidi

Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The amount of time Richard has left is very specific. I like that you mentioned that hsimone. It makes the plot more interesting, giving readers a sense of coming towards something as they plow through chapter after chapter.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Cee-Jay! The time is what captured me, so thank you noticing. :) Also, thank you for your thoughts. It's very much appreciated!
Heidi

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wow! The premise sounds very interesting. Too bad, though, about the errors and the character dropping. I find that frustrating sometimes probably because I always pay attention to characters. Great job on the review.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, kimmyschemy06! I agree. I think doing so many review, sometimes things that bother me may not bother others. But regardless, the rest of the book was pretty entertaining. Thank you for your thoughts. :)
Heidi

rbhavsar236
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by rbhavsar236 »

This book is really nice & review is also a very nice.
Efa Dina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Efa Dina »

I love it but is it true story?
Yung Lunyard
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yung Lunyard »

Re:Official Review:Visions Through a Glass,Darkly
#1 by Yung Lunyard

Hi.. I'm new here but i must say i really liked the story so much..my review would be it's nice at the beginning but frustrating at the end.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”