Official Review: Cancelled by Michael Pinsky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Re: Official Review: Cancelled by Michael Pinsky

Post by CrescentMoon »

I generally like reading political thrillers so this book definitely sounds intriguing. However, I really do get frustrated when the authors add too many characters that it's hard to keep track of them. On top of that the characters have similar names which really adds to the frustration and confusion. Overall though I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Yonitzan
Currently Reading: Asylum
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Yonitzan »

I love political thrillers! However, I found the book, "Cancelled", to read more like "See Spot Run" than any type of actual "political thriller", lacking both thrills and even half the creativity of modern day politicians. While your review is grammatically correct, it seems like more of a pat on the back to spare the feelings of the author than it does an honest review of this disappointingly mundane presentation masquerading as a thrilling novel. It is indeed political, but rarely thrilling, and in no way whatsoever is it novel. Regrettably so, this overly zealous inundation of praise which you heaped upon the author, only serves to stifle any real growth he may be seeking as a writer. Michael Pinsky puts so much effort into hiding his own voice, that the reader loses out on what otherwise would have been an honestly riveting, colorful piece in which the reader could immerse themselves. Additionally, the obvious "parallels" to current political events which appear in the book, present themselves in a form more akin to the lackadaisical transference of monotonous ink one may encounter when using a giant rubber stamp, than a true political thriller promising to prod the reader's senses. I thought these reviews were meant to aid the reader and the author! Surely those at both ends of the spectrum have been duped! How then does this 'official review' constitute an astute, unbiased review? Oh, I get it, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Bravo then, reviewer, write on!
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Thanks for the review! Too bad there wasn't a Dramatis Personae section somewhere in the book. It's hard to keep track of a lot of characters, especially if they aren't fleshed out. It sounds like an entertaining novel, even though it's not in a genre I normally read.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! It must have been difficult to put aside your own opinions to really enjoy the novel.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

It's always been really hard for me to put aside my political views, but the synopsis for this book does sound interesting.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Not sure this is for me, but I'm glad it was entertaining, even if some of the characters were underdeveloped.
Thank you for the review.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

Great review. However I am not interested in this particular book. The competition and the drive to win. It's name. All of the different personalities and attitudes. The drive behind getting information to bring someone else down. Even the President wanting to not abide by the rules and regulation of being one. Even he had unbecoming ways to make things his way. It's just unbelievable.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Sounds like an interesting book! It's probably not one I would choose, but thank you so much for the review! :-)
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I can understand how this might be a difficult review to write while staying unbiased. I think you did a great job and gave insight to the storyline.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sounds exciting! Congrats on the review. I am fascinated by the political undercurrents. Seems very real-time as well.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Great review! I was definitely more intrigued by the book after reading your review than before. It's good to know going it to read it as pure entertainment. Certain subjects are hard to be objective about.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Great review. Since the book is a thrilling political novel I look forward in reading this book.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for this review.
It is interesting how the author blended real life events with fiction to create the novel. I hae to admit that I could not leave my bias aside and didn't like the beginning of the book, but, it is good to know that this novel is very entertaining, and that is the approach I may have to it.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Cancelled,' by Michael Pinsky is lively and gives orientation to worldwide affairs.
lucky1324
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucky1324.html

Post by lucky1324 »

It's difficult to remain unbiased specially if somebody has a strong political opinion. Job well done on the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”