Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Cancelled by Michael Pinsky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Cancelled by Michael Pinsky

Post Number:#1 by Sarah_Khan
» 03 Feb 2017, 15:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cancelled" by Michael Pinsky.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Sarah_Khan
Share This Review

In Cancelled by Michael Pinsky, a thrilling political novel, the president of the United States is not ready to give up his seat at the White House. So, he hatches a plan to cancel the upcoming election. Unbeknownst to him, his plans are not entirely secret and pretty soon a group of men, consisting of both ex-army men and politicians, decide to take things into their own hands and make sure the election goes on as previously arranged. Various elements of this book draw upon events that have happened in real life and real life personalities. If you follow the news, then you will notice the similarities and that will make it all the more enjoyable to read.

I had a hard time deciding what I would rate this novel. While it is incredibly entertaining, I was conflicted about the underlying notes of racism throughout the book, which I felt could be dangerous, specially in a time like today where we need to bring people together and not drive them further apart. I also felt like this book was very pro-Trump. In the end, I decided to do an unbiased review therefore I did not let this influence my rating.

I gave this novel 3 out of 4 stars. The plot of this book is incredibly entertaining; there was never a dull moment. My favorite thing about this novel was how the author took headlines straight out of the everyday news and added his own twist to them.

It was a little difficult keeping track of all the characters. Many of the characters were introduced around the same time and they also had names that were similar. So, for most of the book I had to keep on going back to the pages where they were introduced for me to understand who the author was talking about. Also, there are only a handful of developed characters who have actual backstories and personalities. The rest of the characters seemed like they were only names.

Other than a few minor editing mistakes, this book was great up until the last few pages. I felt like the ending was rushed, therefore I was left unsatisfied. I wish there was a chapter telling us where certain characters ended up in the next year or so.

To conclude, Cancelled by Michael Pinsky is a great novel to read when you are looking for pure entertainment, but first you need to put aside your own political views and biases to thoroughly enjoy the experience of reading this book.

Cancelled
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarah_Khan's Latest Review: "Duel in Zapata" by Ramon Quintanilla
Sarah_Khan

Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 88 Books
Goal Completion: 15%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Cancelled by Michael Pinsky

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 04 Feb 2017, 19:05

Wow. This is an interesting and dangerous topic for this day and age. Nevertheless it sounds really interesting. I don't normally read political thrillers, but you have me intrigued. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Changed Face" by Valerie Baxter
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 29%

Post Number:#3 by Sarah_Khan
» 04 Feb 2017, 19:51

Yes, it indeed is. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it. :)
Sarah_Khan

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by LivreAmour217
» 07 Feb 2017, 16:13

I commend you for this unbiased review! The subject matter of the book is emotionally charged, and I have the utmost respect for your objectivity. I might give this one a go--the real-world events that inspired this book have yet to give an ulcer, so I think that I can stomach some fiction! :lol:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#5 by Sarah_Khan
» 07 Feb 2017, 16:21

LivreAmour217 wrote:I commend you for this unbiased review! The subject matter of the book is emotionally charged, and I have the utmost respect for your objectivity. I might give this one a go--the real-world events that inspired this book have yet to give an ulcer, so I think that I can stomach some fiction! :lol:

Thank you so much! I figured giving a biased review wouldn't give justice to the author's hard work.
Sarah_Khan

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by ashley_claire
» 14 Feb 2017, 09:14

LivreAmour217 wrote:I commend you for this unbiased review! The subject matter of the book is emotionally charged, and I have the utmost respect for your objectivity. I might give this one a go--the real-world events that inspired this book have yet to give an ulcer, so I think that I can stomach some fiction! :lol:

This exactly. However I don't think I could remain unbiased and political thrillers aren't my thing so I'll have to pass on this one. But I just had to say congrats on the excellent review!
ashley_claire

Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading: Uprooted
Bookshelf Size: 104 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#7 by Sarah_Khan
» 14 Feb 2017, 09:48

ashley_claire wrote:This exactly. However I don't think I could remain unbiased and political thrillers aren't my thing so I'll have to pass on this one. But I just had to say congrats on the excellent review!

Yeah sometimes it is hard to remain unbiased and aw, thank you! :D
Sarah_Khan

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by rbhavsar236
» 23 Feb 2017, 05:49

it is a a really nice review and also a nice book.
rbhavsar236

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#9 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 01 Mar 2017, 11:32

Yikes! I love the plot idea, but I hate the political undertones. Books are a way to put out propaganda for whatever cause, but they usually turn people off if you don't already agree with the ideology.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Timely Death" by Scooter Reaser
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: The Dancing Barber
Bookshelf Size: 205 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by mratdegraff91
» 08 Mar 2017, 22:07

Great review. It is discouraging to read that the characters became confusing. It seems stressful to keep referring to their introduction to maintain who is who. The book does sound interesting, though. Thank you for sharing your honest, unbiased review.
Madison Degraffenreid
mratdegraff91's Latest Review: "Drelliks" by Bruce Bradley
mratdegraff91

Currently Reading: The Continuum Sphere Chronicles
Bookshelf Size: 378 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
Goal Completion: 37%

Post Number:#11 by hsimone
» 27 Mar 2017, 06:00

Nice job in being objective here - it's tough if you don't really agree with the content. Though I must say that a president cancelling elections and current news with a twist sounds exciting. Too bad about the underdevelopment of some of the characters here. Thanks for the great review!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Cancelled
Bookshelf Size: 362 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 31%

Post Number:#12 by gali
» 27 Mar 2017, 06:11

Sounds intriguing and far too possible. Well done for not letting the content influenced your review. Not sure it is for me, but will check it out. Thank you for the review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: When Eight Bells Toll
Bookshelf Size: 1595 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#13 by Amagine
» 27 Mar 2017, 08:15

When first reading your review, I thought the plot sounded so unique that I had to read it. A story about a president scheming to keep his position? That sounds so intriguing! On the other hand, you mentioned that there is a lot of racism and the author comes off as Pro-Trump. So in that case, I'll have to give this novel a pass.
Amagine's Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading: Lois Lane
Bookshelf Size: 142 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 66%

Post Number:#14 by hailvilla18
» 27 Mar 2017, 09:09

I admire the reviewer for giving a fair review despite the fact that she is not pro-Trump. Congrats for a good review!
hailvilla18's Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
hailvilla18

Currently Reading: The Life and Times of Tommy Kaos
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by skalicia
» 27 Mar 2017, 09:14

This book sounds like it is perfect for the times we live in. I would have to put my views aside to really enjoy it.
skalicia

Currently Reading: Triptych
Bookshelf Size: 314 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet

Next