Official Review: Campanelli: Siege of the Nighthunter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Official Review: Campanelli: Siege of the Nighthunter

Post by Mark Johnson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Campanelli: Siege of the Nighthunter" by Frederick H. Crook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review for Campanelli: Siege of the Nighthunter by Frederick H. Crook. The story is a near future science fiction murder mystery. The book is really well written; it could be made into a T.V. series, the book is that good.

It is the post-Great Exodus period on Earth in the city of Chicago. The year is 2129 and migration to the planet Alethea has been outlawed. Frank Campanelli is a detective in Chicago’s Sentinel Squad. He is blind, but has bio-electric implants in his eyes that allows him to see. The bio-electric implants also enable him to send and receive information pertinent to his cases. Frank is tracking down a rogue humanoid killer that used to be part of a military group known as FROG (Force Recon Optimized Genetics).

Elliot Three-dash-Seven, the last of his kind, is a genetically engineered weapon. He was supposed to have been terminated along with the rest of his unit after FROG was dismantled by the government. Elliot escaped, and then went crazy. He is an amphibious humanoid Marine that has scales and gills. Three –dash-Seven can change the colour of his skin and camouflage himself into his surroundings. Elliot has a high-bone density and can heal very quickly by absorbing protein, which consequently has turned him into a cannibal.

The story follows Elliot’s Three-dash-Seven’s murderous/cannibalistic ways throughout the city of Chicago. Frank and his team must stop Elliot, the Nighthunter from stalking the streets of Chicago and feeding on his next victim.

I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was very enjoyable. The characters were really likable, the pace was quick, and the story kept me interested all the way to the end. I liked Frederick H. Crook’s writing style. Even though there were some gruesome scenes, with his writing style, it didn’t seem over the top, or too gory.

One thing I did not like was the fact it was a little predictable at times. Another thing I did not like was that there would be a murder from the point of view of the killer, then Frank and his tram would come in and investigate the scene from their point of view. At times it was not really that suspenseful considering we just learned how the murder happened through the eyes of the killer. Those were just a couple dislikes of the book I had. I still gave it four stars because it was a really enjoyably book and very well written.

The audience is anyone who likes science fiction, or murder mysteries. The book is meant for adults. There are a few scenes that are not intended for young readers. I definitely recommend this book, and look forward to reading other books by the author.

Campanelli: Siege of the Nighthunter
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mark Johnson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”