Official Review: A Tightening Noose by B. K. Berrell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Tightening Noose by B. K. Berrell

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Tightening Noose" by B. K. Berrell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Tightening Noose by B.K. Berrell is a political thriller with a somewhat supernatural twist. The story follows Sam, a retired prize fighter turned criminal informant, and Vic, an ex-marine with a sordid past. Due to unlikely circumstances, the two cross paths when Sam, a CI for the ATF, is attempting to join a motorcycle club that frequents Vic’s bar. Before they know it, the two are enmeshed in a federal investigation and are forced to lay low. During this time, Vic takes a job in security at a top secret government building, but will his curiosity get him in even deeper trouble? A Tightening Noose is filled with mature content including drug use, violence and gang settings and may not be appropriate for all readers.

The author spends a lot of time developing Sam and Vic. Unfortunately, it feels like too much time is spent giving their backstory and not enough time is focused on the actual plot. Despite all that we learn about Sam, he doesn’t ever come to the forefront of the story; instead he is a background character for the majority of the current events. Even more disappointing, A Tightening Noose read like three different books. The first part tells the back story of Sam and Vic, whose pasts are totally unconnected. The second half of the book focuses mostly on Vic’s work at the installation. And lastly, the epilogue focuses on a different character searching for answers about his possibly deceased mother who resided in an asylum. If the author had focused on, or better connected these narratives, the book would have been significantly better.

Though this novel was interesting in some places and downright edge-of-your-seat-exciting in other places, much of the novel made almost no sense. In the author’s biography we are told he is currently working on a sequel which will hopefully shed some light on many of the unanswered questions and confusing scenarios that are introduced in this book. Despite the potential for a sequel, the ending was simply unsatisfying and much of what happened felt impetuous. For example, there is no build up to the main climax, making it feel outlandish. Further, the epilogue appears to have nothing to do with the story until one line at the very end; I really thought I was reading a different book!

Plot aside, for the most part, the writing flowed smoothly and the narrative moved along quickly. There were minor errors such as incorrect words or tenses, but they were occasional and not overly bothersome. However, there were major issues present in the formatting of the novel. There is a constant failure to use page breaks or chapters when a new scene begins. For instance, the narrative will be describing what Vic is doing and then the very next paragraph will involve a different character on a different day. This was incredibly distracting and hindered the readability of the narrative.

There are many good aspects of A Tightening Noose, but regrettably, the author fails to put together a cohesive, compelling story. Due to the unconnected storyline and the formatting issues, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Fans of thrillers, especially those involving law enforcement and armed forces, may enjoy this book.

A Tightening Noose
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cathy Crawford
Favorite Author: Mois Benarroch
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-crawford.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 38518

Post by Cathy Crawford »

I enjoyed your review very much. It is well-written and grammatically perfect.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

Cathy Crawford wrote:I enjoyed your review very much. It is well-written and grammatically perfect.
Thank you so much! :tiphat:
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. It seems like the author focused more on character development. Great job on the review.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. It seems like the author focused more on character development. Great job on the review.
Thank you! Yes, it was a shame, a lot of time was spent building up the characters and describing their past, but unfortunately, it did not come together as a full, satisfying, story.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for the honest review. A story has to draw me in or I know I won't finish it. This isn't one I'll be looking to read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This was a great review with some good notes that I hope the author will take into consideration.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”