Official Review: Stillwell by Michael Phillip Cash

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Stillwell by Michael Phillip Cash

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stillwell" by Michael Phillip Cash.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island by Michael Phillip Cash is a paranormal themed novel which was published in 2013. As the author of several other successful books involving paranormal activities, Cash proves to have a lot to offer. At under 150 pages, this was a short and enjoyable read, one that could be easily read in a single sitting.

The main character in the story is Paul Russo, a father of three and a recent widow. Losing his wife to a brain tumor at a young age was the hardest thing Paul could ever imagine having to endure, but that was nothing compared to the distress that came along with trying to fight the demon holding his wife’s soul hostage. This novel starts off with showing the depths of Paul’s grief from losing his wife. The sadness that is expressed feels so real and raw, making for an emotional ride to learn more about the family. Along with attempting to help his beloved wife, Paul is trying to make ends meet financially by going back to his real estate job.

When a multi-million-dollar listing, known as Stillwell, lands on Paul’s desk, he knows he shouldn’t pass it up. However, as bad as he needs the money, Paul has a bad feeling about the home that is said to be haunted. Hearing the stories is one thing, but when Paul starts to witness strange happenings for himself, he can’t seem to clear his mind of the negative energy that surrounds the new listing. Paul soon finds out that in order to set his wife’s soul free from the monster that is holding her, he must find out what happened at the Stillwell home more than two hundred years ago.

The secondary characters in the story consisted mainly of Paul’s children, family, and co-workers. All the characters in the story were expressed with believable personalities, and each were developed in their own way. Paul was immediately a likeable character, and although he doesn’t want everyone’s sympathy, it was easy to feel sorry for his character. Paul proves time and time again how he was a great husband, and continues to be an impeccable father to his children. Along with Paul, I found that I really liked the character of Lisa, Paul’s sister. Lisa does everything she can to help Paul’s family with adjusting to their new lives. She tackles school assignments with the kids, and she’s continuously there for Paul as a shoulder to lean on.

The writing style of Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island was quick-paced and smooth, exactly what is needed for a short novel of this genre. I have always been a fan of paranormal stories, and my favorites are always the ghost stories. Stillwell did not disappoint with holding my interest and keeping the scare factor engaged. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and would gladly recommend it to others who enjoy reading ghost stories. I am happy to report that I found no editing errors along the way, which made for a smooth read. As with most stories in the paranormal genre, there are some sections that would not be appropriate for young readers.

Stillwell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I just read this book, and I loved it! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great job on your review!
Kourtney Bradley

anneloretrujillo wrote:I just read this book, and I loved it! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great job on your review!
Thank you! I'm glad you did as well!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The plot sounds interesting. It's nice that the characters are believable since that's not often the case in paranormal books. I am sorry to say that the book doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I am a scaredy cat. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The plot sounds interesting. It's nice that the characters are believable since that's not often the case in paranormal books. I am sorry to say that the book doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I am a scaredy cat. :)
Thank you! I'm definitely a thrill seeker, so this was perfect for me!
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Not me. :) I am the one who closes my eyes at the movies during the scary parts!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Great review! Sounds like a book that would keep anyone's attention. Also sounds like it could be made into a movie.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kourtney Bradley

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Great review! Sounds like a book that would keep anyone's attention. Also sounds like it could be made into a movie.
I think it would made a great movie!
–Vera Nazarian
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I have read this book before, and I love the fact that you liked it too. It keeps the reader intrigued.

Thank you for the review.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If you like supernatural books, this definitely sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I appreciate the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

I really enjoyed this one!
–Vera Nazarian
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

The review is great! But to me ghost stories are never points of my enjoyment in most books. This book sounds scaring to me from the word go.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Kourtney Bradley

This one was a fun read! But also, I enjoy scary.
–Vera Nazarian
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I too love paranormal and supernatural stories and this one sounds like a great read, aside from the sadness Paul experiences. I'll put it in my Must Read list.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”