Official Review: Severed Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: Severed Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by bluemel4 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Severed Threads by Kaylin McFarren is the first in the Severed three-book series of romantic suspense novels. 

Rachel Lyons is stuck in a pattern of isolation and avoidance after the death of her father, who died under suspicious circumstances while searching for a mythical treasure ship. Rachel blames herself and Chase Cohen, her then lover and father’s salvaging partner, for his death. She buries herself in work approving grants for a foundation. When Professor Ying, her father’s colleague and friend, reaches out to her about a grant proposal concerning the same treasure her father was trying to find, Rachel feels torn about helping him getting it approved. Adding to the complication, Chase is the captain of the salvaging crew Professor Ying wants to use. Her hand is forced into finding a way to approve the grant when she finds out her brother is kidnapped and the ransom is a piece of the salvaging loot. Will Rachel be able to forgive Chase long enough to tolerate a working relationship? Can she save her brother? Will she lose everything?

The characters are all complex, raw, and damaged, with great backstories. I found myself invested emotionally in the outcome of their individual stories. Rachel is self-reliant, annoyingly stubborn, and distrustful. She is incredibly capable, which makes it easy to forget how truly fragile she is. Chase sees Rachel as the one that got away and desperately wants to win her back. He’s charming, well-rounded, and has a lot of secrets. The book is told in third person point of view with alternating characters narrating, which is done flawlessly. 

The writing is descriptive, character driven, and thoroughly edited. The story is woven in a way that leads the reader deeper into spiraling situations without questioning the twists and turns. The pacing is a fine balance between moments of pulse racing excitement and calm character developing moments. Severed Threads is edge of the seat reading.

There is obviously a lot of research that has gone into this book regarding salvaging, diving, and various other cultural information. It is refreshing that McFarren provides enough ship and diving terminology to feel authentic without alienating or boring the reader. 

The only criticism is that the dream sequences start without warning, which can be difficult to determine if a scene is reality or a dream. 

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed Rachel and Chase’s adventure and the side characters were well crafted. The writing was superb and the research appreciated. I recommend this book to romance and mystery lovers.

Severed Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like bluemel4's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

A well written review, thank you. This book sounds like it grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go. I need to add this to my reading list.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

This looks really good and that cover is beautiful! such a great review as well :) Thank you!
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I always enjoy your thoughtful reviews. The book sounds like something I would enjoy, although the real vs dream sequences might be confusing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

This is a book that I am interested in reading. It sounds like it is similar to a Clive Cussler novel, with the diving, lost treasure at the bottom of the ocean and the rivalries. Great Job on the review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I love when the characters have strong back stories. It makes me feel like I can get to know them better. This sounds like an interesting story. I'll have to check it out. Great job on this review!
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I definitely added this to my want to read list! Your review sounded so good that I also followed the author on Amazon and found out that that this book is part of a series, so I added all of them to my Amazon wish list. I love mysteries! Thank you!
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Thanks for the great review! I'm interested to know more about these characters. I'll have to check this one out.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Thank you for the review. Reading your review and the sample pages this is one good dose of a mystery that i will surely like to read
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
melni
Favorite Book: Swept Away
Currently Reading: Higher Is Waiting
Bookshelf Size: 1275

Post by melni »

Wow, your enthusiasm really rings through! I definitely want to read this book as well as the other two books in the series. The characters sound like they have really lived and experienced life, and although broken they are striving to put the pieces back together to carry on. I love a good mystery, romance, and who doesn't like the bling of treasure?
Great review and congrats to the author on a thrilling and engaging series!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A wonderful and descriptive review, bluemel4! I've heard good things about this author, and I'm curious in giving one of her books a try. It's great to hear that the "characters are all complex, raw, and damaged, with great backstories." This is one of the qualities that makes a book soar - the quality of the characters.

Congratulations to the author for receiving such a fantastic review and for writing such a compelling story!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! This sounds like an intense story! I'm not big on romance but I do like mysteries, so I might give this one a shot!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I love mysteries and I've never read one involving treasure hunting before. I just downloaded this to my Kindle and I'm excited to start reading it soon. Thanks for the great review and congrats to the author!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Great review! The book seems pretty involving and thrilling. Congratulations to the author for such a brilliant review :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”