Official Review: Publius: Libertas Aut Mors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Publius: Libertas Aut Mors

Post by rssllue »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Publius: Libertas Aut Mors" by Baltazar Bolado.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A second American Revolution? Could it ever be possible? More importantly, could it ever be necessary? This is the main thrust of the novel, Publius: Libertas Aut Mors penned by Baltazar Bolado.

Richard Haler is not himself anymore. He has been conditioned by his government to be a man who no longer has any semblance of self. He is Delta 3, and he is a killer. But he also has a secret that the nanotechnology implanted in his brain cannot and must not find.

Richard is but the first of many primary and secondary characters who bring us ever closer to the battle for the Republic of the United States of America. The government has been “removing” people who they see as a threat to the way they run the country. They have been doing this by means of a covert organization of individuals who have eyes, ears, and agents anywhere throughout the country. Thankfully, there are those who know about what the government is up to and they have been planning for some time on how to fight them. And make no mistake, this is no “compound” type scenario. These people are ready to change the nation on a scale on par with the original founders: Revolution.

There is quite a lot about the plot of this book that is very interesting. The overall story by itself is a definite page-turner. The idea of a shadow government that is targeting American citizens for elimination most assuredly grabs the attention and imagination of the reader. Just as intriguing is having an organization who is trying to fight against the tyranny that such a government would obviously be to its citizenry. The move and countermove of each of these groups brings a lot of excitement to the story. I also enjoyed the historical quotes of real people that were placed at the beginning of each chapter of the book. This brought a sense of realism to the struggles that were going on in the story.

The bad news is that the execution of the story was not done very well at all. The poor descriptions of many of the happenings along with very stiff, unrealistic dialogue left very much to be desired from the presentation of the story. There also were quite a few spelling/editing errors throughout the whole of the book. These things really took any wind out of the sails the story had going for it leaving it kind of stranded with no real momentum all too often.

Overall, I have to give this book a 2 out of 4 stars. I would actually give it a 2.5 if I could because of the potential that is there for such an interesting book to come out of this story idea. Those who have a love of intrigue and cloak and dagger stories might still find this an interesting read even in spite of the problems pointed out above.

Publius: Libertas Aut Mors
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sounds like a very promising premise. Too bad that it didn't quite live up to it :(
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Very unfortunate about the errors and poor descriptions/dialogue. Sounds like a very interesting premise though. Great job on the review!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you both very much! :)

I truly hope the author reworks the book somehow because I think it could become a very good read!

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising and very interesting. Too bad about the entire execution. Great job on the review.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

How disappointing for such a fantastic idea to be poorly executed. Thanks for your honest review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you both very much for your feedback. It is truly appreciated!

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Oh this sounds intriguing! Wonderful review rssllue. It's too bad it's execution wasn't up to par with the premise of the book. It seems like with a good rewrite and editing, it could be a real gem.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much, TrishaAnn!

I definitely agree that some reworking would make this idea shine forth in a gem of a book! I truly hope that the author chooses to do so. :)

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You had me going there for a minute. I was thinking this sounded like something right up my alley. Then I read that the execution was not well done. How sad. Ah well, maybe next time. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thanks for the feedback kandscreeley! It is appreciated!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”