Official Review: Innocent Hostage by Vonnie Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Innocent Hostage by Vonnie Hughes

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Innocent Hostage" by Vonnie Hughes.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Innocent Hostage by Vonnie Hughes is a book in the romantic thriller genre. It follows the story of Breck Marchant and Ingrid Rowland, as they team up to shield four-year old Kit, from the seemingly unpredictable and dangerous actions of his mother.

Breck genuinely believed that his son, Kit, would be better off staying with his wife, Tania, post their divorce. He was convinced that his own childhood, largely devoid of affection and loaded with unreasonable expectations, did not prepare him for being a single parent. Persuaded by his ex-wife, he handed over his son completely to her, only to find his son a hostage in the hands of his ex-wife’s current husband two years later. Though he manages to rescue his son, he realizes too late, that Tania and her present husband have treated Kit cruelly and used him to bleed Breck dry in the name of child support.

Now, Tania has disappeared without a trace and Breck has to face up to his fear of parenthood alone. In this frightening scenario, Ingrid, Kit’s preschool teacher, steps in to help Breck and protect Kit. Before things could normalize, however, suspicious circumstances unfold, hinting that danger is just about to erupt again, and this time a rescue might not be possible.

The author has sketched pretty likeable characters in Breck and Ingrid. The story is set in New Zealand. Breck had a troubled childhood courtesy his parents, noted academicians, treating him like their guinea pig. Consequently, he becomes a cop and joins the Armed Offender’s Squad instead of following in their footsteps. Ingrid has an unhappy relationship with her parents as well. As Kit’s preschool teacher, her concern for the emotionally bruised child, throws her in Breck’s path, and forces them to work together.

The author skillfully navigates to and fro between their individual struggles. How Breck gradually assumes the role of father, is willing to sacrifice his ambition for his son and tries to overcome his under-confidence in his abilities, is heartening to read. Ingrid’s troubles in running her pre-school and how she balances between teaching and administrative hurdles, is surprisingly quite relatable. The author interestingly develops the slow paced romance between these two characters and how they face their personal demons.

The problem begins when this steady narrative is burdened with needless over-plotting. The careless ex-wife transforms into dangerous criminal on rampage, with an unreasonable vendetta against Ingrid. Another fact that didn’t sit down well with me was Ingrid’s, often discriminatory, over-concern for Kit. The plot twists seem illogical and as a whole the plotline is a bit hard to digest.

I wish the author had conceptualized this story as a romantic novel or something similar, and avoided dumping the thriller element on a potentially good plot. I wanted to rate this book two and half stars, but since that’s not possible I’ll settle for 2 out of 4 stars.

Innocent Hostage
View: on Bookshelves

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds like an exciting book. I think it's interesting that it has a romance element. I like that in thrillers. Thanks for the great review!
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Its sad that the book was not able to live up to its potential. Great review though. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
seasonwalker
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seasonwalker.html

Post by seasonwalker »

This book was okay so i give it 4 stars
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The premise sounds very promising. However, I feel uncomfortable reading about children being used or abused. Great job on the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”