Official Review: Compelled To Murder by E RayeTuronek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Compelled To Murder by E RayeTuronek

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Compelled To Murder" by E RayeTuronek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Could you kill someone? You don’t think you could, do you? E. Raye Turonek makes you wonder if you could do such a thing. Compelled to Murder has the reader thinking they might be able to, but then again, maybe not.

Megan and John are a married couple with two children, Samantha and Shawn. The story begins with Megan and John coming home from a dinner date, finding Samantha horrifically murdered in their home. Most of the story starts approximately one year after the murder. Distraught beyond imagination, the family and town must deal with the aftermath, as well as many other unexplained, grisly murders taking place.

For a multitude of reasons, Megan and John are now estranged. Coping with the loss of their daughter and other issues, they find themselves losing each other. Their teenage son, Shawn, is moody and rebellious. He spends most of his time with his secret girlfriend, Emma, as well as his school friends. He does not want to explain his whereabouts to his parents. Mary fears for her son’s life as more and more people disappear, but cannot get John to help her deal with it. Is it teenage angst or something else? John is obsessed with finding the killer. A new man named Steve is infiltrating their lives. Steve seems to show up everywhere, making John wonder about him, to the point he starts following him around. Ron, John’s best friend, is exhibiting strange behaviors as well.

Police cannot figure this string of murders out. There are a few different ways that people are being killed and no obvious suspects. Do they have more than one murderer on their hands? Are the relationships what they seem to be? On the other hand, is something far more sinister going on in Crimson County?

The different parts of the story seem like stories within stories until they are all tied together in the end in rather unexpected ways. Throughout the story, readers think they have predicted the outcome, but then it changes. Even as one starts reading the final chapter, and thinks they know the answers, they are shocked at the turn of events. As one reads, one is led to think about life and how it’s really not very hard to end it. One wonders if they could kill and what could possibly cause them to do so.

Note that there are some very graphic sexual scenes that can really turn your stomach. The same holds with some of the descriptions of the murderous attacks. Some people might not be able to deal with the visuals, as the writer does make what is happening seem so real.

Compelled to Murder is one of the best crime stories I have read in a very long time. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book has surprisingly left me wondering whether people I know, perhaps among my friends and neighbors, who are otherwise normally good citizens of society, could be compelled to murder. One really shouldn’t go to sleep in the middle of reading this book!

Compelled To Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading it so much. Thank you for your review.
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Very interesting stuff. It sounds like a very good exploration of what would happen if murders happened in a community like this. Are Steve and Ron meant to be red herrings in the mystery? They seem rather obvious suspects.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Very interesting stuff. It sounds like a very good exploration of what would happen if murders happened in a community like this. Are Steve and Ron meant to be red herrings in the mystery? They seem rather obvious suspects.

You will have to read the book to find out! To tell you whether or not they are red herrings just might spoil the read. Let's just say there are major surprises and well written twists!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like mysteries, but I don't think I would like the graphic descriptions of the murders. Glad you enjoyed the book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I like mysteries, but I don't think I would like the graphic descriptions of the murders. Glad you enjoyed the book!
It was extremely graphic, with very unusual and torturous methods of killing. Definitely something to stay away from if you don't like graphic scenes.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like a great read! I love books that keep me guessing. This is a perfect book to read in October.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Note that there is a typo in the review. It should read Megan, not Mary, fears for her son's life. My apologies on the mistake.

-- 16 Oct 2016, 09:31 --
ashley_claire wrote:This sounds like a great read! I love books that keep me guessing. This is a perfect book to read in October.
I'm with you on books that keep me guessing. When a book is too predictable, I lose interest quickly.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great crime and horror book. However, I'm not much into horror books and this one sounds like it would give me nightmares for days :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to E RayeTuronek on such an obviously well written book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one great crime and horror book. However, I'm not much into horror books and this one sounds like it would give me nightmares for days :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to E RayeTuronek on such an obviously well written book.
There are definitely elements of horror, all of the human kind. Nothing of the supernatural kind. I spent quite a bit of time pondering how humans could do such things to other humans.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”