Official Review: I Was Murdered Last Night by A. J. Gallant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: I Was Murdered Last Night by A. J. Gallant

Post by lily_kh87 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Was Murdered Last Night" by A. J. Gallant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Was Murdered Last Night is a mystery novel written by A. J. Gallant. It talks about a young lady who was murdered in New York City at Central Park, for no apparent reason. Her name was Anita; a nice person who everyone loved, had no enemies and was happily engaged to be married. While her family and friends were mourning her dead body, Anita’s soul remained at her murder scene. Apparently, her soul was left wandering for a very important reason, she was there to do an unfinished business; help solve her own murder.

At the afterlife where Anita was staying, nothing seemed understandable. She met a lot of deceased people there, but it looked like she was the only one different. Some of the souls went to heaven, others went to hell and some could go into the light and get out of it whenever they wanted, but for some reason, Anita couldn’t. While she was trying to understand what had happened to her, Anita met Tim; a guy who had been dead for a while. He showed her how to cope with the afterlife, and helped her figure out how to connect with the detective assigned to her murder case; detective Olivia Brown.

I really liked this novel; the plot was very clever and different. This is one of the books you can’t leave until you know what’s going to happen at the end. I liked the way the events were happening and how each character was described in specific details; it was like watching a movie. There were some spelling and grammatical mistakes but they weren’t bad enough to bother me.

The only thing I disliked about this novel was the ending. I was left with so many unanswered questions; what was the next step for Anita? What about her relationship with Tim? What was going to happen to detective Olivia’s career? I also wanted to know more about the people responsible for Anita’s death. The final chapters were a little boring with too many unnecessary details, and then all of a sudden the novel ends, that was very disappointing.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it a 4 if the ending was more satisfying. I really recommend this novel, it was fun and unique. People who like crime, mystery and thriller novels are going to love this one.

I Was Murdered Last Night
View: on Bookshelves

Like lily_kh87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The name of this novel certainly seems tempting and the review just almost makes me want to read it. I think i saw this book at my school library (i am not sure if it was this book) so i am definitely going to give it a try. Good job on the review by the way.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:

Post by lily_kh87 »

wasif_ahmed wrote:The name of this novel certainly seems tempting and the review just almost makes me want to read it. I think i saw this book at my school library (i am not sure if it was this book) so i am definitely going to give it a try. Good job on the review by the way.
Thanks for your comment :D It is really a good book, I honestly recommend you to read it especially if you like mystery books.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

The title definitely caught my attention. Great review, the story sounds like a good mystery. It's too bad about the ending leaving you wanting more. Hopefully the author will write a sequel!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:

Post by lily_kh87 »

Lauren M wrote:The title definitely caught my attention. Great review, the story sounds like a good mystery. It's too bad about the ending leaving you wanting more. Hopefully the author will write a sequel!
The title is what got me to read the novel in the first place. And from what I understood from the author himself, this is indeed the first book of a series, so the next book will show more details.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html

Post by Lauren M »

That sounds good then! I'll add this to my to read pile. I like a good series.
Gemma_375
Currently Reading: Moving
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-375.html

Post by Gemma_375 »

Thanks for the review - I have added this to my "to read" list. I am not usually into the supernatural type novels, but your review has me intrigued!
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:

Post by lily_kh87 »

Gemma_375 wrote:Thanks for the review - I have added this to my "to read" list. I am not usually into the supernatural type novels, but your review has me intrigued!
You are welcome :D It feels good to see that someone will read a book based on my review. I'm happy for that.
kendrick david
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kendrick david »

nice book
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:

Post by lily_kh87 »

kendrick david wrote:nice book
It is a nice book..thanks for reading the review

-- 03 Oct 2016, 10:55 --
Lauren M wrote:That sounds good then! I'll add this to my to read pile. I like a good series.
I'm glad to know that you'll read it :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The plot sounds intriguing. Maybe there is a sequel coming, hence the ending. Thank you for the great review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:

Post by lily_kh87 »

gali wrote:The plot sounds intriguing. Maybe there is a sequel coming, hence the ending. Thank you for the great review.
You're welcome :) Thanks for reading the review.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I don't think I've ever heard of a mystery novel where the main character is the ghost. That's certainly a different take on things. Too bad about the ending, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
RandyB1961
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RandyB1961 »

I enjoyed reading your review. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of ghost stories, so I don't think this book is for me.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

lily_kh87 wrote:
wasif_ahmed wrote:The name of this novel certainly seems tempting and the review just almost makes me want to read it. I think i saw this book at my school library (i am not sure if it was this book) so i am definitely going to give it a try. Good job on the review by the way.
Thanks for your comment :D It is really a good book, I honestly recommend you to read it especially if you like mystery books.
You are welcome. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”