Official Review: Re-Enactment Project by K. O. Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Re-Enactment Project by K. O. Johnson

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Re-Enactment Project" by K. O. Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Re-Enactment Project (Book 1- Retribution) is a futuristic crime fiction written by K.O. Johnson.

Set in 2042 and told in the third person perspective, the book is about a murderer, Jeramy Latham, who is sentenced to death by re-enactment, where facilitators will act out on the guilty person the same crimes he perpetrated on his victim. The procedures would be televised to the world as deterrent to criminals.

In 2039, the citizens of America altered the criminal justice system and adopted a more Islamic code of law, death by re-enactment. After three years, Judge Eleanor P. Roosevelt sentences Jeramy Latham to death by re-enactment for the vicious torture, mutilation and murder of his wife Martha, making Jeramy the first to be prosecuted under the new law.

Captain Jedi Jackson, head of the Re-enactment Project, chooses the location for the re-enactment, the Retribution Studios, and hires those who will be involved called Facilitators. He comes up with five members including a female facilitator, Flo Meaux, who will perpetrate the crime, a director, Evalinda Snodgrass, who will film the re-enactment, her assistant, Bubba Canon, and an investigator, Benson Hardisee. They are later joined by Tyrone Goodman, who is in-charge of security and assists in investigations.

The book was fast-paced with enough back stories for a solid and exciting crime story. The mention of contemporary celebrities in the future setting added a touch of humor and levity to an otherwise serious and grim subject, while the romantic scenes served as a breather. The tone was casual and the writing was easy to read. The characters were so well-developed that it was easy to visualize expressions, gestures and even the manner of speaking, from easy banter to serious brainstorming. Jeramy Latham is the epitome of a criminal: disrespectful (to others and to himself), sarcastic, cold and remorseless. The contrast between Flo, the strong and independent woman, and Evalinda, the naïve and sweet girl, gave the team a balanced and more solid foundation. My favorite character was Tyrone, the reliable ex-Marine with a special gift.

However, I noticed several errors within the entire book. First, the book was riddled with misspelled words, missing words, missing quotation marks and incorrect use of words (like marshal instead of martial and thought instead of through). Second, two paragraphs from Chapter 3 were repeated verbatim in Chapter 45. Third, there were chapters without numbers while there were chapter numbers that were repeated (Chapters 58 and 73). Finally, there was a discrepancy in the time frame of one particular event. In addition, there were details which I think are unnecessary, but, which, I presume, may be continued and featured in the next book.

In view of the above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an interesting and exciting book which is difficult to put down. I recommend it to readers who enjoy crime stories and who appreciate a touch of supernatural. This book, however, contains gory details and obscene languages which are not suitable for young readers.

Re-Enactment Project
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

sounds like a really interesting book. Thank you for the amazing review.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Wow, I was gripped just reading your review! This book sounds different and thrilling. It's too bad about the errors in the book.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

AA1495 wrote:sounds like a really interesting book. Thank you for the amazing review.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed reading the book.

-- 30 Sep 2016, 09:34 --
Lauren M wrote:Wow, I was gripped just reading your review! This book sounds different and thrilling. It's too bad about the errors in the book.
Thank you for the comment. I enjoyed the book despite the errors :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review! I actually saw this and pushed it off because I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. Although, I would imagine the amount of errors would make me a bit impatient, especially, the repeating paragraphs. Anyway, I'm glad that it was enjoyable and difficult to put down regardless of these errors.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! Glad you enjoyed the book, despite the errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review! I actually saw this and pushed it off because I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. Although, I would imagine the amount of errors would make me a bit impatient, especially, the repeating paragraphs. Anyway, I'm glad that it was enjoyable and difficult to put down regardless of these errors.
Thank you very much. It's actually a great book despite the errors. For a first book in a series, it piques the interest and encourages the reader to read the next one.

-- 30 Sep 2016, 18:46 --
bookowlie wrote:Nice review! Glad you enjoyed the book, despite the errors.
Thank you! The plot and the characterization are great making it enjoyable despite the errors.
Moizajani
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moizajani.html

Post by Moizajani »

Is this a book you would pick up to re-read?
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Moizajani wrote:Is this a book you would pick up to re-read?
Oh, yes! This is something I would re-read. It's a really good book. Thank you for the comment and welcome to the forum :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”