Official Review: Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unspeakable Acts is a supernatural horror story written by Janet Leigh Green and published in July of 2016. As a huge fan of the horror genre, especially with supernatural involvement, I was drawn into this story immediately. We find our main character in a small town of Leigh, Texas, where she awaits the nightly visit of a supernatural entity who uses her for sex. Charlie Love has recently ended a three year long relationship, and finds herself living in a historical mansion turned modern day home all alone. When she starts receiving an unexpected visitor every night, she turns to outside help in finding out what the spirit/ghost wants and how to get rid of it. Although Charlie knows she had to find a way to get rid of her nightly visitor, she can't help but look forward to his visits.

Charlie employes the services of Doug and Scott- brothers who run an investigation business in town. The two brothers soon involve the help of Sheila, who is the local psychic that has helped them with previous cases. It doesn't take long for the foursome to realize that there are some dark and evil forces at play here, but uncovering the truth behind what they are after proves to be challenging on its own. This story combines the thrill of a non-traditional horror story that will keep you on the edge of your seat with a budding new romance that adds some extra interest to the story as it moves along. The story didn't seem terrifying to me but could definitely give off an engaging creepy feeling.

This story line was easy to follow, and very enjoyable to read. However, I did find some minor mistakes that could use another run through to knock out. There are some sections throughout that seem a bit choppy due to the overuse of periods rather than commas, and also a few section where run-on sentences seemed never ending. There were also more than a few places in which closing quotation marks would be used twice- once at the end of dialogue, and once at the end of the sentence in general. Along with the above, I came across a few sections where it was unclear who was speaking, causing me to re-read some sections multiple times to understand.

This book is one that reflects on the past in multiple parts, giving a history on certain events. It is obvious that the author took great care to ensure this was able to be easily followed by having all past chapters labeled with the date or year. Something unusual that I found at the end of the book was an alternate ending, which I am still not sure if I am a fan of. The idea itself seemed like a good idea when I first saw it, but I quickly realized that the book could do without something repetitive and unnecessary when the change is not enough to make a difference. The alternate ending also seemed to start too soon, as there were several pages that were the exact same as the story I had already read.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Unspeakable Acts kept me interested until the very end and left me wanting more once the story ended. I liked how the author reflected on each character enough to give them a real personality, making them all seem relatable to me as a reader. I feel the need to give a reader discretion warning due to the presence of some detailed sexual contact and profanity. I recommend this book to other readers who are up for a good thriller in their supernatural horror story, and aren't afraid to be a little creeped out!

Unspeakable Acts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I absolutely love horror stories and may consider checking this book out. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Kourtney Bradley

zero_macabre wrote:I absolutely love horror stories and may consider checking this book out. Thank you for the great review!
Thank you! This one was different than a traditional horror story!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved the book! I agree with you and thought the same. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the errors. I also thought the he alternate ending was unnecessary. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley

gali wrote:I loved the book! I agree with you and thought the same. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the errors. I also thought the he alternate ending was unnecessary. Good job on the review!
Thank you! I thought the same with your review!
–Vera Nazarian
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Loved the book.

Great review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Well, now I'm intrigued. I either love horror or... don't. For some reason I haven't put my finger on yet, the synopsis of this book was putting me off (too scary for me, maybe?). But I'm really curious about the alternate ending, and my curiosity I think it going to beat down my fears LOL. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Must be blood stained story, thanks for the review!
Kourtney Bradley

SandraTWP-BRW wrote:Well, now I'm intrigued. I either love horror or... don't. For some reason I haven't put my finger on yet, the synopsis of this book was putting me off (too scary for me, maybe?). But I'm really curious about the alternate ending, and my curiosity I think it going to beat down my fears LOL. Thanks for the detailed review.
I wouldn't say the horror is too much, it definitely has the "spook" feeling, but not too much to handle. You should check it out!

-- September 20th, 2016, 10:35 am --
signed wrote:Must be blood stained story, thanks for the review!
Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

SandraTWP-BRW wrote:Well, now I'm intrigued. I either love horror or... don't. For some reason I haven't put my finger on yet, the synopsis of this book was putting me off (too scary for me, maybe?). But I'm really curious about the alternate ending, and my curiosity I think it going to beat down my fears LOL. Thanks for the detailed review.
I agree with this. I usually like horror but something about this book put me off and I said in my first ten review that I wouldn't read it. I think the cover doesn't help with the creep factor for me. But I might have to suck it up and read it anyway since two reviews have now said it wasn't too bad as far as the horror aspect goes. And I think it will be an interesting read for the book of the month pick.
Kourtney Bradley

ashley_claire wrote:
I agree with this. I usually like horror but something about this book put me off and I said in my first ten review that I wouldn't read it. I think the cover doesn't help with the creep factor for me. But I might have to suck it up and read it anyway since two reviews have now said it wasn't too bad as far as the horror aspect goes. And I think it will be an interesting read for the book of the month pick.
I do too! I can't wait for the BOTM Discussion!
–Vera Nazarian
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Hi klbradley, great review! I already read this book and I agree with you on all points. The weird quotation mark thing also confused me a few times. I actually found it to be more of a short character study than a horror story, maybe. lol. I look forward to the discussions during BOTM.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Kourtney Bradley

Thimble wrote:Hi klbradley, great review! I already read this book and I agree with you on all points. The weird quotation mark thing also confused me a few times. I actually found it to be more of a short character study than a horror story, maybe. lol. I look forward to the discussions during BOTM.
Thank you for your feedback! There were some parts Tha I definitely felt were horror/thriller, but not totally horror.
–Vera Nazarian
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

The storyline is fascinating. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed your review.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Although I often get creeped out by horror stories, this one looks really interesting. I liked your comment about the main character who couldn't help but look forward to the entity's nightly visits even though she was trying to get rid of him - the erotic angle seems like a unique take on this type of book! Glad you enjoyed the book despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”