Official Review: Better Off Thread by Amanda Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Better Off Thread by Amanda Lee

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Better Off Thread" by Amanda Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Better Off Thread: An Embroidery Mystery by Amanda Lee is a refreshing, fun murder mystery. One might wonder how a murder mystery can be comedic and funny, yet dramatic at times. The author shows the reader just how that can happen.

Tallulah Falls is a fictional small town, where people know each other and everyone’s business. Marcy, the primary protagonist, owns the “Seven-Year Stitch”, a specialty embroidery shop cloistered among other small businesses. Much of the story takes place in the “Seven-Year Stitch”. Captain Moe is one of Marcy’s friends; he convinces her to play elf to his Santa at the local hospital. Playing elf is really the start of the town’s great murder mystery.

As Marcy arrives for one of her elf gigs, she discovers that Captain Moe has found the hospital administrator stabbed to death in Santa’s sled. Captain Moe becomes the prime suspect, but no one that knows him believes that he did it. Much to Ted’s (Marcy’s boyfriend) dismay and concern, Marcy decides to play amateur detective. Marcy has help from several other town characters: Vera, a sweet widow; Veronica, Ted’s mother; Riley, Uncle Moe’s niece and attorney; and Sadie, Marcy’s best friend, all have ideas and get into crazy antics with Marcy as she works to solve the crime. Angus, Marcy’s dog, even gets involved.

Who killed Sandra? The suspects are interesting and varied. Could it have been one of the women who wanted her job? Perhaps it was the security guard, who thought his favorite nurse should have the job. On the other hand, was it the contractor with a mean streak, who was no longer favored by Sandra, the hospital administrator? Perhaps it was the board member, who had a secret that he could not afford to have go public. Or was it someone else? Maybe it was Captain Moe after all. Throughout the story, you will suspect each of these people. Amanda Lee has a way of really making you wonder which one really did it. This reviewer kept changing her mind as to who she thought did it. You will laugh as Marcy and her friends take insane measures and do ridiculous things to find evidence. Laughter really was my favorite part of the story.

There are also elements of romance, as Ted and Marcy’s relationship develops throughout the story. For those of you that prefer clean romance, this is a good choice. A sweet romance, with a whole lot of mystery, that makes you smile.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could not put this story down, as I needed to know which one of these crazy characters committed the crime. I found nothing negative about the story or the writing. It is a top-notch fun story. I look forward to reading more of the series.

Better Off Thread
View: on Bookshelves

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

Wow! This sounds like a great book! Adding to my must read list! Thank you for the great review!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Nicely done review, it sounds quite interesting. Does it manage the tonal shifts well? Murder mysteries with a comedic bent can be difficult in terms of handling the tone properly.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Nicely done review, it sounds quite interesting. Does it manage the tonal shifts well? Murder mysteries with a comedic bent can be difficult in terms of handling the tone properly.
I would say that the author managed the shifts quite well. I know it can be hard to imagine laughing during a a murder mystery but one really does, yet it does not feel at all inappropriate when it happens. There are serious parts, of course, where one is more focused on the victim, without laughter.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Great review, CatInTheHat. This sounds like a fantastic book and I'll have to give it a read some time. I'm a huge fan of what I call "cozy cat" mysteries.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Thimble wrote:Great review, CatInTheHat. This sounds like a fantastic book and I'll have to give it a read some time. I'm a huge fan of what I call "cozy cat" mysteries.

I love your choice of terms. Cozy cat describes the concept so well. This story would be a great rainy day read!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I also like cozy mysteries where there are a lot of eccentric characters and I can't predict who the killer is. I am going to take a second look at this one.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I also like cozy mysteries where there are a lot of eccentric characters and I can't predict who the killer is. I am going to take a second look at this one.
Eccentric definitely applies to a few of the characters!
KentuckyGal
Currently Reading: The Year-God's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by KentuckyGal »

OMG I LOVE this series! Have added this to my TBR shelf. Cannot WAIT to read!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

KentuckyGal wrote:OMG I LOVE this series! Have added this to my TBR shelf. Cannot WAIT to read!
Which books have you read in the series? Do you have a favorite? I'm looking forward to reading more from the series.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Sounds like a great mystery book. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”