Official Review: The Crimson Blueprints by Kim Ekemar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: The Crimson Blueprints by Kim Ekemar

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Crimson Blueprints" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Writers often get inspiration from their surroundings, their experiences and the people they meet. Yet what happens when a book is being written, and the characters seem eerily similar to reality? Too similar. The Crimson Blueprints is a story written by Kim Ekemar which falls under the C/T/M/H genre. I jumped at the chance to review this book since I had previously read, reviewed and immensely enjoyed another book by the same author.This is a book about a story within a story.

This is the story about a young man, Paul B. Crimson, who returns from Viet Nam (this is how the name is written in the book) with all the memories of what had occurred and all the horrors of war. Yet he doesn’t only have these memories in his mind, he has written all of it down with the idea of getting it published. After trying at several publishers, his book is finally accepted. It is published and is a huge success. Unfortunately, due to his success and owing to a habit he picked up in Viet Nam, Crimson’s life has turned into one of vice and drug abuse. However, his publisher, JP thinks that he still has a lot of potential and so encourages him to write another book. Unfortunately, Crimson doesn’t have any idea of what to write about. JP sends him to stay with some friends of his in the snowy village of Harbor, so that he may have an opportunity to concentrate on his book. It is here that Crimson starts to write again. However the story that he writes doesn’t seem to have a clear outline, and as the story unfolds we see parallels in Crimson’s life. Coincidences that could be deadly.

What I found amusing about the story was the author’s brilliant insertion of himself into the book. In the beginning of the story we read an ‘editors note’ in this it says that the author, Kim Ekemar received this story - The Crimson Blueprints - to publish. So although we know that this is a work of fiction this adds to the authenticity and leaves the reader wondering if the story is really true.

The book is made up of the story that Crimson was writing as well as his life at that particular moment. It also included some correspondence between himself and JP, the editor. The book also includes police reports of what had occurred and flashbacks to Crimson’s time in Viet Nam. The characters were brilliantly crafted. JP the editor, is an old man who is trying to right the wrongs of his youth and mistakes of his career, and Paul Crimson is a disturbed, yet intriguing character.

The main character is deeply damaged, probably from his experiences at war or other reasons. However, I didn’t like him as a person at all. I also didn’t like the crude description of what the main female character in Crimson's book goes through. Crimson bases the characters in his story on people in his real life, and fiction and reality become mixed-up.

Unfortunately I did pick up one or two grammatical errors, which would bring down the score of the book in some readers estimation. However, this did not deter me much from enjoying the book. I am giving this book a three out of four stars because I think it definitely deserves it. I think that many readers would enjoy this book, especially those who are interested in the psychological effects of war on a person, those who would like to see how a writer finds his inspiration in his environment, as well as those who enjoy a crime thriller.

The Crimson Blueprints
View: on Bookshelves

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Seems like another good book by Kim Ekemar. I read The Lost Identity Casualties and I loved it and I already like the plot of this one. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Sad about the errors but sounds good.good job!the review was great!
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

It seems like quite an interesting book. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
stoppoppingtheP

Thanks. Yes it is definitely an interesting and intriguing book.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Seems interesting enough. Great review!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I haven't read any of Ekemar's book yet, but the reviews here are definitely getting my attention! Now I just have to decide which book to read first. By the way, The Crimson Blueprints is a terrific title...
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Great review. Personally, I love this type of books and I feel I will enjoy it if I read it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The story doesn't seem like my cup of tea, although I am sure others would enjoy it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Great review. Glad you enjoyed reading the book!
stoppoppingtheP

Thanks!

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”