Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
readingdiva3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by readingdiva3 »

The Trial by James Patterson(book shots). This book is a quick read and less pages than his other books. This is a story that involves the Women's Murder Club characters. A wanted criminal, whom they thought was dead, is not. He has come back and threatened Lieutenant Boxer. Again he kills others. I enjoyed this shorter book as well as I do Patterson's other books. I would recommend this to those who want to read his books, but get overwhelmed by the number of pages of his books.
open-book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-open-book.html

Post by open-book »

A thriller I read recently that really made an impression on me is

'Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes'

Brilliant book that had me thinking about the plot well after finishing it
IrishWFL
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishwfl.html

Post by IrishWFL »

I really enjoy the Vanessa Micheal Munroe series by Taylor Stevens. The main character is a tough female - she's a bit messed up but does let it stop her.
Megan Beth33

Post by Megan Beth33 »

I recently discovered Karin Slaughter as an author! I read Pretty Girls over the summer and ended up on the edge of my seat the entire time! It's kind of gory though, so if you're not into that, I'd avoid it. It has been added to my list of favorites!
shadow01

Post by shadow01 »

Monkeewrench by P.J. Tracy
I really enjoyed The Monkeewrench series. They are really a cast of characters. I love the interaction. However, I'm very bad at guessing the killer. :D
athenatria
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by athenatria »

jasonkendall wrote:CSI books seem to be pretty good for me

Omg. I am planning to read this as well. I think CSI is pretty interesting to me as well.
IrishWFL
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishwfl.html

Post by IrishWFL »

shadow01 wrote:Monkeewrench by P.J. Tracy
I really enjoyed The Monkeewrench series. They are really a cast of characters. I love the interaction. However, I'm very bad at guessing the killer. :D

Love these books too. Just wish they came a little faster :)
athenatria
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by athenatria »

When I was kid I started reading R.L. Stine's books like The Nightmare Room series. His horror books is perfect for kids. I think that's how I started and became a bookworm.
Maddiec

Post by Maddiec »

I just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and I have never been so intrigued with a book. Although the subject matter is a bit on the frightening side the ending makes it all worth it. I legitimately shrieked at the ending. It is a fascinating story narrated by Libby Day who is the only serving daughter of a satanic masacre allegedly performed by her brother Ben. As a young child she testified against her brother, claiming she saw him murder her two sisters and mother, but come to find out she was heavily guided by psychologists and police. Over two decades later a group dubbed the "Kill Club" reaches out to Libby asking for her help in attempting to prove her brother's innocence. In dire need of money, she accepts their request half heartedly at first but then becomes wrapped up in the chaos herself. This plot is incredibly written. Although I did have some trouble getting through the rather dark (no pun intended) passages in the book, I found that the ending made up for it. I honestly can not recommend this book enough.
RandyB1961

Post by RandyB1961 »

I am a big fan of the Dev Haskell mystery series by Mike Faricy. Dev is a ne'er-do-well private eye who manages to get himself In some precarious situations, which require all of his cunning, courage and wits to extricate himself from. Plenty of action, humor, violence and sex.
Nina Blackwell
Currently Reading: How to Hang a Witch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-blackwell.html

Post by Nina Blackwell »

I recently read The Silver Eyes, the book based on Five Nights at Freddy's. I never thought that I would enjoy a book based on a computer game so much. It took me about two and a half hours to finish... I'd recommend it if you're in the mood for a quick read
heather_r

Post by heather_r »

I recommend 'Girl On the Train' by Paula Hawkins. Emily Blunt is a character that you'll very much rooting for by the end.
Rakshesh
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rakshesh.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Rakshesh »

Well when you are talking about Thriller the First name comes to mind is Agatha Christie. It is a great book, which will keep you on the edge of the seat or bed, whatever it may be ;-)

Won't give any spoilers but let me tell you one thing it will keep you engaged from the start till the end and you will keep guessing the culprit and more often than not you will end with shock when the real perpetrator is uncovered.

Great Read, just go for it...
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Ocean-Pepper
Currently Reading: Born for This
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ocean-pepper.html

Post by Ocean-Pepper »

I agree! Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" was the first mystery/thriller book I read, which was when I was about thirteen. Once you think you know who the culprit is, Christie snares you right back in and washes away everything you thought you knew. Did you know that the on-stage version was written with a totally different ending? While I prefer the ending in the book, the theatre version does offer more drama.
kc3po311
Currently Reading: Letters for Dad
Bookshelf Size: 688
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kc3po311.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by kc3po311 »

I recently revisited a podcast I used to listen to about true crime/murders called true crime garage. Each episode the guys recommend a book too-- check them out!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”