Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ladyshow78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Ladyshow78 »

I recently read Faceoff an anthology of thriller writers that paired up 22 authors for 11 stories. Like Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme paired with John Sandford's Lucas Davenport. Great read for those who enjoy thrillers.
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

Tenebrae Manor by Patrick S. Clinen. Hands down, most gorgeous prose I've read in a long time- you wouldn't think that authors nowadays can even write like that, so I was very glad to come across his novel. It'd fall under the Lovecraftian horror genre, I think - the grotesqueness isn't going to give you nightmares, but rather it'll make you shiver in repulsed delight.
Reyes183
Currently Reading: You're Next
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyes183.html

Post by Reyes183 »

THE CAMEL CLUB.
The Camel Club , by DAVID BALDACCI
I just finished reading this book yesterday and today im starting to read the second book in the series .This book is a very good book, it's a page turning thriller thats full of suspense. It grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go .This book was impossible to put down.Im pretty sure the rest of the series is as good.I definitely give this book
5 stars.
petrey384

Post by petrey384 »

I have read a book recently called The Secret Saboteurs on my Kindle. It was fantastic In my opinion. I recommend it to everyone to read if they love fast paced thrillers.
animalgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalgirl.html

Post by animalgirl »

I'm reading a book on my Kindle Touch called She's Not There," by Marla Madison. I downloaded it awhile ago but just got caught up enough to start reading it yesterday. It's a wonderful book and one of the most well-written books I've read in a long time. It's sort of a thriller/mystery/crime, a combo of all three. I recommend it for anyone who likes excitement and an unusual storyline.
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

JoAnn Bassett's Islands of Aloha Mystery series is a lighthearted mystery thriller. The series is about a wedding planner in Maui who as the unfortunate luck of having murders occur around her. She searches and finds the killer(s) along with planning weddings. The author does a great job describing Hawaii and making me feel like I am solving the case with the main character Pali Moon.
Bluefirerose
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefirerose.html
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Bluefirerose »

sheaman wrote:Murder on the Orient Express is a great mystery book to pick up if you're looking for a good read. It's part of Agitha Chrisie's Poroit series, so if you've never really been into AC you may not like it.

The basic idea of the story is that someone has been murdered on a train that is stuck in the snow. Poroit--a professional detective--happens to be stuck on this train as well. One of the passengers is the murderer.

(I know the way I describe it the book sounds like it has the plot line of a Nancy Drew, but it's really a lot more complex and compelling.)

This was my second mystery book ever and it's wonderful!! I'm so glad someone brought up Agatha Christie she is a classic author. She wrote a few series as well as many stand alone books. Poirot is my favorite character that a series was written about, but there is also Miss Marple, Ted and Tuppence, and Mr. Parker...I could go on.

If you like mystery, just give her a try..any book will do.
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

For horror, if you're like me and like your horror supernatural or weird, you can't go wrong with Mira Grant
Her zombie series Newsflesh is great
And her Parasitology series is killer!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Karlareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlareads.html

Post by Karlareads »

Has anyone ever read The Devouring trilogy? It's not very popular, but they're good!
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

If you want to read an honest down-to-earth police procedural set in Yorkshire UK, I can recommend the DI Charlie Priest series by Stuart Pawson. Luckily I read the first book first "The Picasso Scam" and have rapidly devoured five others with several more to go. The characters grow with each story and the plots get more interesting as they progress. The abundance of dry humour can soon turn grim depending on the scenario. It's an easy-to-read series without a lot of graphic content and mature readers will relate to the earlier books.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

After Age by Yvonne Navarro
Post apocalyptic vampire
Multi character pov
Really good
It's a rereader for me
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
sfloura
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sfloura.html

Post by sfloura »

I just finished reading "Shovel Ready" by Adam Sternberg and loved it. Highly recommended! It reads like a noir novel but is set in dystopian NYC. Sternberg has a great, succinct writing style, which also makes it a quick read. Haven't picked up a book this unique in a while.
Hazel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel.html

Post by Hazel »

I would recommend Sherlock Holmes. Great characters and the story is always changing since there is always a new case to solve.
mramchandran

Post by mramchandran »

One of the mystery books with an amazing climax that i recollect is that of Robert Harris's The Ghost.
Melsabelle

Post by Melsabelle »

I'm currently reading the Lacey Flint detective series by S J Bolten.
Lacey is a detective in London. She has an extremely troubled past. In the first book she has to help solve a Jack the Ripper copycat killer, and although it sounds very "been done before", it's actually a wonderful read! Lacey's past comes back to haunt her in a major way.

The writing style is quite dark, gothic almost. Almost reminds me of sharp objects by G Flynn, but I actually prefer Boltens writing.

So far there has been an awesome twist in each book too and I love that!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”