Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rob625
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Rob625 »

Black Creek Crossing by John Saul.
I didn't want it to end.

-- 17 Feb 2016, 19:44 --

-- 17 Feb 2016, 19:51 --

I forgot one, Red Dragon by Thomas Harris was good too.
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

Anyone read The Silence by Tim Lebbon? I'm about ready to start that and have heard good things.
Carmen
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmen.html

Post by Carmen »

Really enjoy the series by J.D. Robb- its been interesting and entertaining to watch futuristic detective Eve Duncun grow, overcome and triumph from early detective to seasoned, and personally to go from single and traumatized to secure and married. The murders are never really too predictable. Combined, with returning cohorts and characters, each book makes you feel like you are visiting family.
Rob625

Post by Rob625 »

Is there a thread for zombie novel recommendations someone can repost? Thanks
LadyLeprechaun
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyleprechaun.html

Post by LadyLeprechaun »

I've read all but the last 2 books of the Alex Delaware series by Johnathan Kellerman. If you want a great crime drama read, let Alex and his sidekick Milo take you on that journey.
KingPhillip

Post by KingPhillip »

Any apocalyptic horror fiction?
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

I'm currently reading Robert Galbraith's (J.K. Rowling's pseudonym) Cuckoo's Calling, and I must say it is an excellent whodunit. The characters are compelling and the mystery is intriguing. At 2/3 the way through, I'm impatiently reading and trying to figure this thing out. It's extremely well-written.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

jacnthabox wrote:I'm currently reading Robert Galbraith's (J.K. Rowling's pseudonym) Cuckoo's Calling, and I must say it is an excellent whodunit. The characters are compelling and the mystery is intriguing. At 2/3 the way through, I'm impatiently reading and trying to figure this thing out. It's extremely well-written.
I agree! I have read both books in the series and liked them. I plan to read book # 3.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
katygardengal

Post by katygardengal »

My favorite is The Stand, by Stephen King. Mainly because it is so plausable and that it could really happen! When I first read Chapter 1, it scared the tar out of me. I had to put the book down for a while . . . a long while. About a year later, I started reading the book again and I was rivited!! In my humble opinion, one of King's best books still.
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

My favorite Mystery/Crime series over that past couple of years:
Louise Penny's Armand Gamache(Three Pines) series
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child's Inspector Pendergast series
Charles Finch's Charles Lennox series

I thoroughly enjoyed all these authors. I listened to the Armand Gamache books on audio and highly recommend them. They are set in a small village in Quebec. For such a small place, they have quite a few murders!

The Pendergast series consists of around 19 books, some better than others. They made a movie from the first book "Relic" - which was totally TERRIBLE. Pendergast wasn't even in the movie.

The Charles Lennox series is set in London in the late 19th century.

-- 03 Mar 2016, 19:44 --

For the horror fans here I recommend:
Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain Trilogy:
1. The Strain
2. The Fall
3. The Night Eternal

Much better than the TV show. And far creepier.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
Yerdua11
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerdua11.html

Post by Yerdua11 »

The Doll's House by M. J. Arlidge

I just finished reading this excellent murder mystery novel that is new this past year and I believe, only recently available in the US. It had me completely gripped from the beginning and I read it in less than 2 days. Excellent character structure and story line and I would highly recommend it! It should be available at most libraries by now!
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

LadyLeprechaun wrote:I've read all but the last 2 books of the Alex Delaware series by Johnathan Kellerman. If you want a great crime drama read, let Alex and his sidekick Milo take you on that journey.
Totally agree. I have been reading Kellerman's Delaware series since they started eons ago. Sure, after reading a bazillion of them, they do become a little predictable. But I sort of like that. Every time he comes out with a new Alex and Milo book, it is like getting to visit with old friends. Trouble is, I gobble them up the minute they come out....I just finished his latest and already want another!

I also feel the same about Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books. But the Alex Delaware books are just a tiny step above the Harry Bosch books. Still, I would take one of either of them right now.

(desperately looking for something new to read and having a hard time)
casjak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by casjak »

I would suggest any book by Jeffrey Deaver. I have read all his books in the Lincoln Rhyme series and a couple in the Kathryn Dance series. Keeps your interest and the ending is always a big shock that you want to reread the book to see if there were any clues you missed. Great author, great writing style, great stories, mysteries and suspense to go all around. Can get a little tedious when it comes to some of the technical stuff, but I think it adds to the authenticity, time, and dedication Deaver must have put into the research.
tinamehl1982

Post by tinamehl1982 »

The best book I've read this year is Ninie Hammon's Five Days in May! A thriller that had me reading long past bedtime. I loved every word! A bit of crime, the heroine Princess is on death row, a bit of a love story. But mostly just thrilling. I actually stood up with my tablet toward the end.
Greystone12

Post by Greystone12 »

gali wrote:
jacnthabox wrote:I'm currently reading Robert Galbraith's (J.K. Rowling's pseudonym) Cuckoo's Calling, and I must say it is an excellent whodunit. The characters are compelling and the mystery is intriguing. At 2/3 the way through, I'm impatiently reading and trying to figure this thing out. It's extremely well-written.
I agree! I have read both books in the series and liked them. I plan to read book # 3.
I have absolutely enjoyed all three of the books in this series. Mystery thrillers are a favorite of mine and this series is among them! Definitely recommend them.

-- 22 Mar 2016, 12:45 --
[booksndogs] wrote:One of my favorite authors is Iris Johansen. Her books are always an enjoyable read.
I agree. She is very talented and I have enjoyed the series of the forensic sculptor whos is ever searching for her daughter's remains as well as the identity of her true killer

-- 22 Mar 2016, 12:52 --
smh30 wrote:I think my favourite horror writer would have to be Richard Laymon, always a fun read
You may enjoy reading Karin Slaughter. Her latest book entitled Pretty Girls is superb! The first chapter is a bit slow but keep going and you will definitely be in for a gripping ride.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”